The US can not afford the war in Afghanistan and plans to withdraw within eight year

longriver

Rookie
Nov 12, 2009
The US is plan to completely withdraw from Afghanistan in 2017. Robert Gibbs, the spokesman of the White House, said so in to the media on Nov. 25. Gibbs said that the US president Barack Obama will give a lecture on Dec. 1 in West Point and declare the adjustment plan in Afghanistan. The US troops will not stay in Afghanistan for more than 8 years, said Gibbs to the media.

After months of deliberation, the new Afghan policy of Obama administration will be presented. It is estimated that Obama would deploy another 30000 soldiers there. New policy also includes the training of local security armies, which will take the responsibity after the withdrawl of the US troops.

Gibbs also said that Obama will probably publicize the detailed withdrawl timetable. "We are in year nine of our efforts in Afghanistan. We are not going to be there another eight or nine years," Gibbs told reporters. "Our time there will be limited and that is important for people to understand," he said.

The cost of more deployment of soldiers to Afghanistan is huge. The US government has to spend altogether US 1,000,000 per year for each additional soldier there. Now the government budget has reached USD1400 billion. For Obama, more deployment to Afghanistan is a political adventure. Gibbs said the

Gibbs said the financial cost of the conflict -- which reached $6.7 billion in June alone -- and the physical toll it had taken on the U.S. military made the war unsustainable in the long term.

"It is very, very, very expensive," Gibbs said

source:[News] The US can not afford the war in Afghanistan and plans to withdraw within eight years - Global Times Forum--Discuss China,Discuss the world--The Most Open and Objective Forum in China

Sixteen years in Afghanistan! Absolutely fantastic.. especially coming from the anti war demoncrats.

Why not just save more money and bring the troops home immediately?

Personally I believe we're going to keep a large standing military anyway so why not have bases in the most useful place we can maintain them. Real military bases with virtually no Afgahn civilian access so our poor boys don't get suicide bombed.

The theory behind not bailing immediately would be "bailing out immediately would cause more instability, maybe we can accomplish something by 2017."

When coincidentally Hillary or Sarah might be president. Lord save us.

Why not just save more money and bring the troops home immediately?

Personally I believe we're going to keep a large standing military anyway so why not have bases in the most useful place we can maintain them. Real military bases with virtually no Afgahn civilian access so our poor boys don't get suicide bombed.

The theory behind not bailing immediately would be "bailing out immediately would cause more instability, maybe we can accomplish something by 2017."

When coincidentally Hillary or Sarah might be president. Lord save us.

We don't need to maintain a presence in Afghanistan. Or Iraq, or Saudi Arabia, or Japan, or Germany, or South Korea, etc...

So the point is to hope that nothing real bad happens and punt this shit to the next administration.....

Now thats LEADERSHIP! You'd think these assholes got their military training in the Air Force.

We don't need to maintain a presence in Afghanistan. Or Iraq, or Saudi Arabia, or Japan, or Germany, or South Korea, etc...

We don't? Are you going to suggest we just go all Dresden on the entire country of Afghanistan and be done with it?

Kevin, you're a man of few words!

My concern with just leaving is the region will remain unstable and after the U.S. occupation we've made a whole slew of new enemies. Once we stepped down the path towards tearing their country apart we're committed to rebuilding it on a military level.

Sorta along the lines the Treaty of Versailles left the Germans with some vile hatred. Our occupation and Marshall Plan after WWII left a more neutral country.

My concern with just leaving is the region will remain unstable and after the U.S. occupation we've made a whole slew of new enemies. Once we stepped down the path towards tearing their country apart we're committed to rebuilding it on a military level.

Sorta along the lines the Treaty of Versailles left the Germans with some vile hatred. Our occupation and Marshall Plan after WWII left a more neutral country.

The Treaty of Versailles was grossly unfair to Germany, I'm not suggesting we do anything like that to Afghanistan. I'm simply suggesting that we come home immediately and leave them alone.

You don't read history much obviously. NO ONE has controlled Afghanistan short of warlords in forever. Let war be a horrible thing. Destroy your enemy and leave or occupy. Since we are not a colonial power, I suggest we leave.

We didn't rebuild Japan on a military level in WWII. They didn't rise up again.

Gibb's comments are very reminicent of things you heard every election during the Viet Nam War. Seven to eight years is hope, not a plan.

The plan needs to include milestones for the Afghan government to meet. If they are not holding up their end of the bargain we need to accelerate our departure not delay it

You don't read history much obviously.
Ouch, where did that come from?

I'm up for debate here. My worry is if we leave Afghanistan what do you think the place will be like in a month?

We don't? Are you going to suggest we just go all Dresden on the entire country of Afghanistan and be done with it?

No. I'm suggesting we just leave.

Cut N RUN...How refreshing.

How many more troops and innocent civilians need to die for nothing? What is the goal in Afghanistan? What is the goal in Iraq? There are none. And the sooner we realize this and pull our troops out the less death will be on our hands.

I am all ears if someone, anyone, has a clear plan to meet the stated goals of eliminating terrorist strongholds in Afghanistan and giving them a sustainable democratic government. It has to work in less than eight years and make sense in relation to the history of the Afghani peoples.

It is a timed test, the President had a ten month head start. Good luck.

Two things

1. We need to work with Pakistan to squeeze Al Qaeda from two directions

2. We need to pressure the Afghan govt to maintain security and eliminate rampant corruption.

Either way...we need to be out of there in five years

Don't mind the rambling, it's frustration screaming out loud!

We cannot keep doing this Krap. We're supposed to be out of money, the government printing presses are working overtime printing dollars with nothing to back it up but empty promises, technically we shouldn't be able to run this war for another 8 days, much less 8 more years? The world knows the USA is broke, how come our elected representatives don't?

When will this government begin spending billions on keeping Americans alive, Rebuilding infrastructure, and a multitude of other needs in the USA, instead of spending billions of dollars killing others,rebuilding other countries and making sure THEY have sufficient medicines and medical care? Or have they taken the money and ran? (Stimulus $$).

I know this is over simplified, possibly a waste of two paragraphs, but WTF......over? :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back