The Urban Legend: Peanut Allergy

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Due to the severe peanut allergy of a first grade girl, students of Edgewater Elementary are required to wash their hands before entering their classroom in the morning and after lunch. They were also told that they had to rinse out their mouths after each meal. The teachers surpervising the handwashing and mouthrinsing were required to wipe down the desks continuously with Clorox wipes. All peanut products are banned at the school and no outside food is allowed to be brought into school holiday parties. In addition, a peanut sniffing dog was brought in two weeks ago. Rumors that children’s mouths were being wiped with disinfectant were quickly dispelled.

2. Parents, completely exasperated, have been protesting outside the school.

3. District spokeswoman Nancy Wait of Volusia County Schools has said that the school is obligated to follow guidelines under the Federal Disabilities Act. “We have moved so far beyond isolating children with disabilities,” she says. “We are required to provide her with an education and to make accommodations for her disability,” she told ParentDish.

4. the recent move by the school to enforce such a strict regimen have embittered parents who decided enough was enough and took to the streets outside the school in protest.

5. No one wants any harm to come to this first grader. Through no fault of her own, she had acquired this food allergy. But what are the chances of peanut allergy death of actually occurring?

6. 150-200 were the initial numbers that kept reoccurring in my research of food allergy deaths. But upon reading Meredith Broussard’s research in her article, “Food Allergy Deaths: Less Common Than You Think” in the Huffington Post, I discovered that the 150-200 death estimate comes from the media resource kit of the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network, a lobbying and educational group headed by a former marketing executive at Dey Pharmaceuticals. Dey Pharmaceuticals is the maker of the EpiPen adrenaline injector, a device that millions of food-allergic patients keep on hand in case of emergency.

7. Data on food allergy deaths from the Center for Disease Control (CDC). They’ve been tracking food allergy deaths since 1998, but this number isn’t publicly available in CDC databases because it is statistically insignificant. The CDC press office which revealed something very surprising. Eleven out of 2.5 million deaths were from food allergies in 2005, the last year for which this data is available. That’s eleven deaths from food allergies in total.

a. More deaths had resulted from lawnmowing accidents. An estimated 90 -100 people die from bee stings (and this number is actually underreported due to mistaken diagnoses as heart attacks, sun strokes or other causes). But we don’t tell people not to mow their lawns or refrain from going outdoors.

8. Using questionable data, and the 'crisis spin,' rules, regulations, requirements are added, what de Tocqueville called 'soft despotism,' and described as "“an immense, tutelary power, which takes sole charge of assuring their enjoyment and of watching over their fate” and aims to "relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and of the effort associated with living.” How? "... it covers its surface with a network of petty regulations—complicated, minute, and uniform..."

9. And not to belittle the eleven people that die each year from food allergies, they are the ones that need to take the proper precautions, not the rest of the 311,046,781 people in this country.

10. "New from Allergy Haven. Store your EpiPen, Benadryl and other emergency necessities in this versatile pack. Features zipper closure and velcro straps that can attach to a belt, purse or school backpack. Emergency Card also included. Measures: 4" x 7.5"
EPI Pen Strap Pack Basic Epipen Carrier

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were the parent of a child with allergies that severe, I would home school them.

No reason to ruin it for the rest of the kids.

I agree

If the condition is that severe, the child should not be in public

1. Due to the severe peanut allergy of a first grade girl, students of Edgewater Elementary are required to wash their hands before entering their classroom in the morning and after lunch. They were also told that they had to rinse out their mouths after each meal.......]

I have a son with a severe peanut allergy, and this is total bullshit. He has been safe for the past ten years in public schools by not eating anything with peanuts in it.

The Nanny State marches on....

The precautions they are taking it is like the peanut oils or whatever it is that causes the allergies are airborne?
Is the even possible? WTH is going on there?

The precautions they are taking it is like the peanut oils or whatever it is that causes the allergies are airborne?

Did you see the quote from de Tocqueville in the OP?

We have here one more offer by the statist-collectivists, an offer to protect us all from 'cradle to grave,' an attractive proposition to many...with, of course, the sub-plot, its 'for the children.'

You may recall the following:

'Hillary Clinton chose to kick off her presidential campaign by invoking images of -- what else? -- children. Her healthcare policy would target "millions of children whose families today cannot afford care." Not the families of the children. Hillary prefers to work directly with the children themselves rather than their parents.

"We are talking about health care for children in need, which is about as safe an issue as there is," said Ken Sherrill, a political science professor at Hunter College.

Safe for a candidate perhaps, but safe for the children and our nation it is not. In casting her questionable health care ideas as a measure “for the children,” Hillary is returning us to the darkest days of her husband’s administration, when a broad range of intrusive government measures were cynically couched as concern for children.'
Hillary and the Politics of Children - HUMAN EVENTS

In this incarnatlion, the 'village' comes equipped with epipens.

I have severe allergic reactions to seafood. It gets worse every time I accidentally get a bite of any kind of ocean fish or shellfish, except surprisingly enough Tuna. I don't have the reaction when I smell seafood and believe me, I have come to recognize that disgusting odor.

I don't know what causes the reactions for those who are allergic to nuts but if the airborne qualities do produce a reaction in the same way that some pollens cause allergies, this could very well be life threatening.

In this case, I agree, I would home school my child and not put out the other families in the school.

Immie

Last edited:

It is possible to be affected by airborne particles. I am allergic to peanuts, and get severely sick to my stomach just smelling them.

But what this school is doing is just over the top. Making everyone use mouthwash regardless of what they eat? Bringing in a peanut sniffing dog? Next thing you know, they'll have someone going through the schoolbooks, blacking out the word peanut. Just in case.

I have severe allergic reactions to seafood. It gets worse every time I accidentally get a bite of any kind of ocean fish, except surprisingly enough Tuna. I don't have the reaction when I smell seafood and believe me, I have come to recognize that disgusting odor.

I don't know what causes the reactions for those who are allergic to nuts but if the airborne qualities do produce a reaction in the same way that some pollens cause allergies, this could very well be life threatening.

In this case, I agree, I would home school my child and not put out the other families in the school.

Immie

Not at all necessary, as I suggested by #10 in the OP.

BTW, I am a strong proponent of homeschooling, and I do so.

1. Due to the severe peanut allergy of a first grade girl, students of Edgewater Elementary are required to wash their hands before entering their classroom in the morning and after lunch. They were also told that they had to rinse out their mouths after each meal. The teachers surpervising the handwashing and mouthrinsing were required to wipe down the desks continuously with Clorox wipes. All peanut products are banned at the school and no outside food is allowed to be brought into school holiday parties. In addition, a peanut sniffing dog was brought in two weeks ago. Rumors that children’s mouths were being wiped with disinfectant were quickly dispelled.

2. Parents, completely exasperated, have been protesting outside the school.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QSFvmjjwak

3. District spokeswoman Nancy Wait of Volusia County Schools has said that the school is obligated to follow guidelines under the Federal Disabilities Act. “We have moved so far beyond isolating children with disabilities,” she says. “We are required to provide her with an education and to make accommodations for her disability,” she told ParentDish.

4. the recent move by the school to enforce such a strict regimen have embittered parents who decided enough was enough and took to the streets outside the school in protest.

5. No one wants any harm to come to this first grader. Through no fault of her own, she had acquired this food allergy. But what are the chances of peanut allergy death of actually occurring?

6. 150-200 were the initial numbers that kept reoccurring in my research of food allergy deaths. But upon reading Meredith Broussard’s research in her article, “Food Allergy Deaths: Less Common Than You Think” in the Huffington Post, I discovered that the 150-200 death estimate comes from the media resource kit of the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network, a lobbying and educational group headed by a former marketing executive at Dey Pharmaceuticals. Dey Pharmaceuticals is the maker of the EpiPen adrenaline injector, a device that millions of food-allergic patients keep on hand in case of emergency.

7. Data on food allergy deaths from the Center for Disease Control (CDC). They’ve been tracking food allergy deaths since 1998, but this number isn’t publicly available in CDC databases because it is statistically insignificant. The CDC press office which revealed something very surprising. Eleven out of 2.5 million deaths were from food allergies in 2005, the last year for which this data is available. That’s eleven deaths from food allergies in total.

a. More deaths had resulted from lawnmowing accidents. An estimated 90 -100 people die from bee stings (and this number is actually underreported due to mistaken diagnoses as heart attacks, sun strokes or other causes). But we don’t tell people not to mow their lawns or refrain from going outdoors.

8. Using questionable data, and the 'crisis spin,' rules, regulations, requirements are added, what de Tocqueville called 'soft despotism,' and described as "“an immense, tutelary power, which takes sole charge of assuring their enjoyment and of watching over their fate” and aims to "relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and of the effort associated with living.” How? "... it covers its surface with a network of petty regulations—complicated, minute, and uniform..."

9. And not to belittle the eleven people that die each year from food allergies, they are the ones that need to take the proper precautions, not the rest of the 311,046,781 people in this country.

10. "New from Allergy Haven. Store your EpiPen, Benadryl and other emergency necessities in this versatile pack. Features zipper closure and velcro straps that can attach to a belt, purse or school backpack. Emergency Card also included. Measures: 4" x 7.5"
EPI Pen Strap Pack Basic Epipen Carrier

Two questions.

1. Of the 11 people who die of food allergies in a year, how many of those deaths are specifically from peanut allergies?
  2. Of that subset of people with peanut allergies, how many of those are caused from being in the same room as someone who had peanuts for lunch?
By the way, I am pretty sure Clorox wipes do not eliminate peanuts.

1. Due to the severe peanut allergy of a first grade girl, students of Edgewater Elementary are required to wash their hands before entering their classroom in the morning and after lunch. They were also told that they had to rinse out their mouths after each meal.......]

I have a son with a severe peanut allergy, and this is total bullshit. He has been safe for the past ten years in public schools by not eating anything with peanuts in it.

The Nanny State marches on....

I had a peanut allergy until I outgrew it in puberty (I suggest everyone with a peanut allergy to get re-examined when they get older). As long as I didn't eat one-I was fine. It's a pain having to read labels, search out ingredients, and not be able to eat anything with possible stray peanuts in it-but that's life.

edit: And I too never had one problem of incidence at school.

Good lord.

If your kid has it so bad that if another kid eats a peanut and breaths on him he's gonna have a reaction, you need to keep that kid in a bubble.

Halloween must SUCK for this kid.

When did having allergies become a disability?

I have asthma and a vast array of things I'm allergic to. I have seasons that I dread. Should the government come in and remove all the grass and trees? Should I sue them for not doing so already?
Or should I suck it up and keep dealing with it like I learned to as a kid?

pfft

Anyone know any good lawyers?

New peanut allergy therapy may work...
:cool:
New Therapy for Peanut Allergy Shows Promise
January 10, 2013 - Similar to allergy shots for dust and pollen, feeding peanuts in tiny amounts is designed to reprogram the young patients’ immune system so peanuts don’t provoke life-threatening reactions.
To someone with a peanut allergy, accidentally ingesting a product containing even tiny amounts of the legume can trigger a potentially life-threatening reaction. But researchers have found that when patients were given miniscule daily doses of peanut powder, they were able to build tolerance to the deadly food allergen. There is currently no allergy shot to desensitize individuals with a peanut allergy. The best treatment is to avoid all foods that might contain peanuts, which - in some people - can cause a potentially fatal reaction called anaphylaxis, in which the airways tighten and restrict breathing. The only treatment is a rescue shot of epinephrine, which opens the airways. Those with the allergy often carry an emergency shot with them.

It might seem dangerous to give these people an oral dose of peanut powder. But that’s exactly what U.S. researchers did in a new multi-center clinical trial. Wesley Burks, chairman of the department of pediatrics at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in Chapel Hill, led the study. He says 20 peanut-sensitive adolescents at two centers were given liquid containing miniscule amounts of peanut powder which they held under their tongue for two minutes before swallowing, while 20 received a placebo, or inactive, liquid.

Every day, according to Burks, scientists increased the amount of peanut in the liquid by a tiny fraction. “Before the study, they only could eat a third of a peanut. At the end of the study they could tolerate three peanuts. So that difference changed. What we don’t know is how long do you need to continue the therapy and then you need to stop it so that change is permanent," he said. More studies will be conducted to find that out. The SLIT trial, which stands for Sub-Lingual or beneath-the-tongue Immuno-Therapy, shows promise in desensitizing people with severe peanut allergies; after 44 weeks, adolescents in the study could tolerate ten times as much peanut as before the trial, compared to subjects who received an inactive liquid, according to Burks.

The researcher cautions those with peanut allergies not to try desensitizing themselves. Microdoses measured in just billionths of a gram of peanut power were used in the trial, doses that could not be replicated at home. "We were unbelievably safe in trying to administer the product. And it is not something that's ready for practice or ready for home use, because for peanut-allergic patients, there's too many dangers in doing that," he said. The study on treating peanut allergy with sublingual therapy is published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

Source

Peanuts are inflammatory if not prepared correctly (and almost no one does) and should not be consumed.

Forum List

Back