The Unusual Case of the Five Cookies and $1,000 Fine at Dirty Goose

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Dirty Goose had five cookies on its menu last week, but the Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration investigator who visited the establishment didn’t have a sweet tooth. Following a Nov. 27 inspection, ABRA fined the gay bar on U Street NW $1,000 for violating one of the city’s most peculiar policies. Businesses holding alcohol licenses must “offer a food menu at all times containing at least three prepared food items” in order to seat customers during the phased reopening process in D.C.

Co-owner Justin Parker says employees have pitched in to bake everything from macadamia nut to chocolate chunk cookies in an oversized toaster oven since they reopened. One of the requirements is the food offerings can’t be pre-packaged. Fresh baked cookies are an odd match for the martinis the bar is known for, but the pandemic has been a series of make-it-work moments. “They are fantastic,” Parker says. Each table is only required to purchase one food item, but the cookies are so popular people are buying them by the dozen. “At this point we’ve done over 6,000,” he says.

Parker says ABRA began inspecting the bar he co-owns with his husband heavily in June, once D.C. entered Phase 2 of reopening. He takes no issue with the fact that they came six or seven times in that month alone because the bar was always deemed to be in compliance with all of the guidelines.

And her solution was brownies and popcorn. First, why have it at all if that is where you are at? Second, not much of a difference between a cookie and a brownie.

1607184943627.png

1607184900093.png

Braunschweiger and crackers.

Yum!

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

In Oregon ... only restaurants are allowed to serve distilled spirits ... what we think of as a liquor bar must always be associated with an eatery ... and the eatery must remain open as long as the bar is serving drinks ... there's also revenue tests ... if I remember correctly, 50% of the total revenue for the business must be from the restaurant side ... and OLCC agents are allowed to inspect the books anytime ...

Bottles of spirits can only be purchased at State-owned liquor stores ...

In Oregon ... only restaurants are allowed to serve distilled spirits ... what we think of as a liquor bar must always be associated with an eatery ... and the eatery must remain open as long as the bar is serving drinks ... there's also revenue tests ... if I remember correctly, 50% of the total revenue for the business must be from the restaurant side ... and OLCC agents are allowed to inspect the books anytime ...

That is wild. I didn't know that Oregon owned liquor stores. I've never been there.

That is wild. I didn't know that Oregon owned liquor stores. I've never been there.

The State itself purchases liquor on the wholesale market ... the State transports it in and stores it ... then owns all the retail stores ... and these State-owned stores are prohibited from selling anything other than liquor and cocktail mixes ... 21st Amendment gives States the right to regulate as they see fit ...

My brother and his wife showed up at my place around 4pm on a Sunday ... "Let's get a bottle of tequila !!" ... "what, are you nuts, you can't buy liquor in Oregon on Sundays" ... the look of shock on their California faces was precious ... although that's not a State rule, just the local liquor store was run by an elderly couple and they took Sunday's off ...

Yes, whenever I visit them in California, I make a Great Big Deal when I go into one of their liquor stores ... horribly embarrassing to them ... "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT ALL THE LIQUOR !!!" ...

The State itself purchases liquor on the wholesale market ... the State transports it in and stores it ... then owns all the retail stores ... and these State-owned stores are prohibited from selling anything other than liquor and cocktail mixes ... 21st Amendment gives States the right to regulate as they see fit ...

My brother and his wife showed up at my place around 4pm on a Sunday ... "Let's get a bottle of tequila !!" ... "what, are you nuts, you can't buy liquor in Oregon on Sundays" ... the look of shock on their California faces was precious ... although that's not a State rule, just the local liquor store was run by an elderly couple and they took Sunday's off ...

Yes, whenever I visit them in California, I make a Great Big Deal when I go into one of their liquor stores ... horribly embarrassing to them ... "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT ALL THE LIQUOR !!!" ...
That's just crazy.

There state owned liquor stores in Oregon? That s interesting , here in Florida where I spent my whole life Things are different. Just about any place can sell booze and any body of any age can enter as long as food is served. So I spent A lot of my child hood in redneck bars. Mostly eating chili, pulled pork sandwiches. Pickled eggs and sausages and sour pickles.

That's just crazy.

It's designed to take the profit motivation out of encouraging alcoholism ... seemed like a good idea back in the 1930's ... Washington State had a similar system they recently abandoned ... Oregon voters are fine with the system as it is ... fewer bars and fewer liquor stores as a social benefit? ... just means we have to plan our binges ... and hopefully take DUI's into consideration ...

Beer and wine has less regulation ... taverns and grocery stores have more flexibility ... but some manner of food service is required even in these taverns ...

There state owned liquor stores in Oregon? That s interesting , here in Florida where I spent my whole life Things are different. Just about any place can sell booze and any body of any age can enter as long as food is served. So I spent A lot of my child hood in redneck bars. Mostly eating chili, pulled pork sandwiches. Pickled eggs and sausages and sour pickles.

For having the reputation of being the Bluest of the Blue ... Oregon sure does have some conservative ways ... we still have Jim Crow Juries on the books, and used them up until just last April ...

That's just crazy.

It's designed to take the profit motivation out of encouraging alcoholism ... seemed like a good idea back in the 1930's ... Washington State had a similar system they recently abandoned ... Oregon voters are fine with the system as it is ... fewer bars and fewer liquor stores as a social benefit? ... just means we have to plan our binges ... and hopefully take DUI's into consideration ...

Beer and wine has less regulation ... taverns and grocery stores have more flexibility ... but some manner of food service is required even in these taverns ...

What is served in taverns beside food? Just beer and wine?

What is served in taverns beside food? Just beer and wine?

Yup ... hard liquor anywhere on the premises gets the tavern license yanked immediately ...

ETA: My information may be dated ... these were the laws 20 years ago ... but I don't think they've changed much ...

Jeez. The bars I drank at in my younger days, you were lucky if they had pretzels. I do remember one place that had a big jar of pickled eggs on the end of the bar. Looked like discolored floating eyeballs. Real appetizing!

Jeez. The bars I drank at in my younger days, you were lucky if they had pretzels. I do remember one place that had a big jar of pickled eggs on the end of the bar. Looked like discolored floating eyeballs. Real appetizing!

Yeah ... back when it was completely legal for 18-years-old to be drinking beer while driving in Texas ...

Yeah ... back when it was completely legal for 18-years-old to be drinking beer while driving in Texas ...
Yeah, what's with you guys in Texas? I used to watch that show Friday Night Lights, and all these 16 and 17 year old high school students were drinking beer like it was Pepsi. Right with their parents and teachers and everything. Part of the culture down there?

Forum List

Back