The Unteachables: A Generation that Cannot Learn

Ummm

THE AMERICAN COWBOY CHRONICLES: So Where Does California Rank In Education - And Why?

According to a 2009 report by the California Faculty Association, California ranks 49th out of 50 states. Another ranking puts California at 47th place.

It wasn't too long ago that California ranked 14th in education nationally. From what I researched, back in the 1950's and 60's California's educational system was rated in the top 10 nationwide.

I'm not surprised by this, the schools in California are garbage. The only schools there that are decent are the private schools that cost an arm and a leg.

And we used to have the best schools in the world.....before............prop 13.

Then the republican revolution began and wanted to CUT TAXES and distroy the great society we had built

Ummm

THE AMERICAN COWBOY CHRONICLES: So Where Does California Rank In Education - And Why?

According to a 2009 report by the California Faculty Association, California ranks 49th out of 50 states. Another ranking puts California at 47th place.

It wasn't too long ago that California ranked 14th in education nationally. From what I researched, back in the 1950's and 60's California's educational system was rated in the top 10 nationwide.

I'm not surprised by this, the schools in California are garbage. The only schools there that are decent are the private schools that cost an arm and a leg.

No matter how stellar the school, if the students are uninterested in learning and the parents uninterested in anything beyond the next time they get high, the school will do poorly. Core subjects have been displaced by social programming. Either they don't have them at all, or the core subjects are limited. We throw more money at education than any other state and have more uneducated graduates than the majority of states. Although Florida intends to give us a run for our money by reducing the standards. They have to. More than half the graduates can't read.

There is no way to convince the students that there is a benefit to learning. They DO find an entertainment benefit to vandalizing schools. Education is not particularly prized by the parents. The parents who are concerned, send their kids to either a private school or a supplemental school if they can't afford private school or at least have some sort of home schooling program.

Future Americans cannot be competitive in a global market. They just can't. They can't read, they can't write their own names, they can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator, they know absolutely nothing of the rest of the world. The can give accurate instructions on wearing a condom, how to perform fisting with a minimum of injury, and how much they are owed by the society around them. Perhaps its just a position by the state that we should be as much like mexico as possible.

Ummm

No matter how stellar the school, if the students are uninterested in learning and the parents uninterested in anything beyond the next time they get high, the school will do poorly. Core subjects have been displaced by social programming. Either they don't have them at all, or the core subjects are limited. We throw more money at education than any other state and have more uneducated graduates than the majority of states. Although Florida intends to give us a run for our money by reducing the standards. They have to. More than half the graduates can't read.

There is no way to convince the students that there is a benefit to learning. They DO find an entertainment benefit to vandalizing schools. Education is not particularly prized by the parents. The parents who are concerned, send their kids to either a private school or a supplemental school if they can't afford private school or at least have some sort of home schooling program.

Future Americans cannot be competitive in a global market. They just can't. They can't read, they can't write their own names, they can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator, they know absolutely nothing of the rest of the world. The can give accurate instructions on wearing a condom, how to perform fisting with a minimum of injury, and how much they are owed by the society around them. Perhaps its just a position by the state that we should be as much like mexico as possible.

The kids of immigrants from Korea, Vietnam, Iran, Cambodia etc do pretty good in California schools.

The kids of immigrants from Korea, Vietnam, Iran, Cambodia etc do pretty good in California schools.

Their parents insist on it. The Chinese parents are the same. That's why they send their children to Chinese school where they learn core subjects as well as speakng and writing Chinese. I go to an all Chinese art school (you get in by invitation ONLY). These kids are smart, motivated and interested. One of the things they are being taught is that when the US can no longer maintain itself, they are expected to pick up the reins of leadership and industry. That's what they learn. It's not what mexican kids learn, or black kids or even most white kids. American children of American parents do not expect a future beyond what they can get. I guaranted you, the Asians are not going to be persuaded to give it to them. The Iranians certainly will not give it to them. Iranians won't even hire an American to work for them now.

Their parents insist on it. The Chinese parents are the same. That's why they send their children to Chinese school where they learn core subjects as well as speakng and writing Chinese. I go to an all Chinese art school (you get in by invitation ONLY). These kids are smart, motivated and interested. One of the things they are being taught is that when the US can no longer maintain itself, they are expected to pick up the reins of leadership and industry. That's what they learn. It's not what mexican kids learn, or black kids or even most white kids. American children of American parents do not expect a future beyond what they can get. I guaranted you, the Asians are not going to be persuaded to give it to them. The Iranians certainly will not give it to them. Iranians won't even hire an American to work for them now.

Yikes, that doesn't sound too good for our future. I better find some Chinese and Iranian girlfriends to take care of me.:(

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/b...-steven-brill-book-review.html?_r=2&ref=books
^The nation’s worst performing schools are in states and places were unions are weakest.
Alright so the evidence shows that unions are not the problem but are more likely to be part of the solution

Hey shithead, your Liberal source says, "Many of the nation’s worst-performing schools are concentrated in Southern and Western right-to-work states, where public sector unions are weakest." It says "many" not "all" that you imply. It could be equally true that "many" of the nations worst schools are in forced-union states (e.g. Michigan is a forced-union state, but look at the history of Detroit schools).

You source doesn't provide any details to support its assertion. To the degree that it may be true, I'm sure it's a demographics issue, not a weak-union-issue. "Southern and western" states are full of Hispanics. Eastern and northern states are full of whites.

Hey shithead, by what mechanism do you think unions help improve schools? By preventing the worst teachers from being fired?

The OP does't even mention unions. The most destructive mechanism of the unions is fighting for all the crap the OP mentions, which is often forced on all public schools (including charters) across the nation (via laws and courts).
Yes you being 100% wrong means I’m a shit head for pointing it out. Try not to be such a loser that you throw a fit and cry when you are wrong

The article is not about right to work. Nor is it about school funding. It is about students who have designated themselves unteachable. They are taking up class space that belong to better students.

The article is not about right to work. Nor is it about school funding. It is about students who have designated themselves unteachable. They are taking up class space that belong to better students.

Its a catch 22, people are scared to let these kids roam the streets so they force them to be in a class they don't want to be in, lose/lose situation for us and their classmates.

Its a catch 22, people are scared to let these kids roam the streets so they force them to be in a class they don't want to be in, lose/lose situation for us and their classmates.

The kids roam the streets anyway. They cut school and get into trouble.

My gripe is with our prohibitions against child labor. These kids who disavow eduation committ petty crimes at first, develop into serious crimes and enter a revolving door of the prison system. Eventually they end up in a prison training program where they learn a trade. I've had a couple of friends whose sons ended up in prison training programs. One to be a welder and another to fix cell phones.

Forget child labor, cut out the middleman and send the unteachables into work training programs. There are very successful prison programs, some train inmates into training service dogs for the blind or deaf.

The Prison Dog Program
coloradocelldogs

I would bet that with a slight bit of effort, just a bit, that prison traiining programs could be adapted to train young people before they get into prison. Who knows, they might never go to prison! They might turn into very nice productive human beings instead of ex-cons. They could be plumbers, carpenters, painters, landscapers, the world is a busy place. I think there is a yacht company that has had such a shortage of shipwrights, they started and support a prison program that turns out trained and skilled shipwrights that are hired by the company (and others). We don't need to do that. We don't need to have people wait until they are captive and incarcerated to force them into job training. It can be done before prison or instead of prison. It would take a change of opinion that academia is suitable or deserved by everyone.

My gripe is with our prohibitions against child labor. These kids who disavow eduation committ petty crimes at first, develop into serious crimes and enter a revolving door of the prison system. Eventually they end up in a prison training program where they learn a trade. I've had a couple of friends whose sons ended up in prison training programs. One to be a welder and another to fix cell phones.

Forget child labor, cut out the middleman and send the unteachables into work training programs. There are very successful prison programs, some train inmates into training service dogs for the blind or deaf.

The Prison Dog Program
coloradocelldogs

I would bet that with a slight bit of effort, just a bit, that prison traiining programs could be adapted to train young people before they get into prison. Who knows, they might never go to prison! They might turn into very nice productive human beings instead of ex-cons. They could be plumbers, carpenters, painters, landscapers, the world is a busy place. I think there is a yacht company that has had such a shortage of shipwrights, they started and support a prison program that turns out trained and skilled shipwrights that are hired by the company (and others). We don't need to do that. We don't need to have people wait until they are captive and incarcerated to force them into job training. It can be done before prison or instead of prison. It would take a change of opinion that academia is suitable or deserved by everyone.

That could only work if these kids are serious about wanting to learn a trade, if these kids don't want to go to school and they want to roam the street, I doubt they will be interested in this kind of idea.

The Prison Dog Program
coloradocelldogs

That could only work if these kids are serious about wanting to learn a trade, if these kids don't want to go to school and they want to roam the street, I doubt they will be interested in this kind of idea.

That's why it has to be part of a complete program and not voluntary. Sort of a work camp for delinquents. We can't forget that some of these kids come from generational unemployment and lethargy. They don't have parents to guide them, if they have parents involved at all. Their entire environment has to be changed.

Five states do not allow teacher unions. These five states also have the lowest test scores in the nation, 50th, 49th, 48th, 47th and 44th.

:eusa_eh:

Where'd you get that?

The NEA?

Interestingly, even using whatever bogus source you're siting, the 46th and 45th "lowest test score states" HAVE teacher unions.

Regardless, if anyone wants to rely on an unbias source, first you'd need to find a test taken in every state by every student.

There is no such test.

The closest we may hope for is the 2011 ACT or SAT.

Let's try the 2011 ACT

2011 ACT National and State Scores | Average Scores by State | ACT

The 5 lowest scoring states were:

MS
TN
FL
KY
AZ

According to your list, ALL of the 5 lowest scoring states on the ACT HAVE Teacher Unions

Last edited:

Well, not ALL students.

According to ACT Scores and racial profiling, there is ONLY ONE particular group of students whose test scores have actually increased between 2007-2011

http://www.act.org/research/policymakers/cccr11/pdf/ACTScoresOverTimebyRaceEthnicity.pdf

I would assume that states that contain a higher proportion of these students might do better on the ACT, HOWEVER this proportion is so small in every state except Hawaii, that it is meaningless.

Even in Hawaii, the Average ACT is only slightly above the National Average.

Forum List

Back