The "Unity" Process Begins

Interesting as it shows conservatives are unsure what conservatives are, and I was so glad to see someone call Reagan what he was, pure fantasy.

"Conservatives bristle at the thought of a Republican president who might raise income and payroll taxes. Or enlarge the federal government instead of shrinking it. Or appoint Supreme Court justices who are anything but strict constructionists. Or grant a blanket amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Now, I don't believe that a President McCain would do any of those things. But President Reagan did all of them. Reagan also provided arms to the Khomeini theocracy in Iran, presided over skyrocketing budget deficits, and ordered US troops to cut and run in the face of Islamist terror in the Middle East. McCain would be unlikely to commit any of those sins, either.

"...My point is simply that the immaculate conservative leader for whom so many on the right yearn to vote is a fantasy. Conservatives who say that McCain is no Ronald Reagan are right, but Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan either. Neither is Mike Huckabee. And neither was the real - as opposed to the mythic - Ronald Reagan.

Interesting as it shows conservatives are unsure what conservatives are, and I was so glad to see someone call Reagan what he was, pure fantasy.

"Conservatives bristle at the thought of a Republican president who might raise income and payroll taxes. Or enlarge the federal government instead of shrinking it. Or appoint Supreme Court justices who are anything but strict constructionists. Or grant a blanket amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Now, I don't believe that a President McCain would do any of those things. But President Reagan did all of them. Reagan also provided arms to the Khomeini theocracy in Iran, presided over skyrocketing budget deficits, and ordered US troops to cut and run in the face of Islamist terror in the Middle East. McCain would be unlikely to commit any of those sins, either.

"...My point is simply that the immaculate conservative leader for whom so many on the right yearn to vote is a fantasy. Conservatives who say that McCain is no Ronald Reagan are right, but Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan either. Neither is Mike Huckabee. And neither was the real - as opposed to the mythic - Ronald Reagan.

Reagan was the puppet's puppet..................he did his BEST work in Bonzo Goes to College.......................:rolleyes: :eusa_whistle:

In his article Jacoby gave a correct profile of Reagan. As the last four words of your sentence implies (see above), fringes on both the left and right do blow up political figures to mythological proportions, intentionally obfuscating their only-too-human characteristics/qualities. Not only have the Republicans produced a mythological Reagan, but the Democrats have produced a mythological Clinton.

Some of you need to educate yourselves more about McCain. The media is telling you NOTHING so far.

Not only have the Republicans produced a mythological Reagan, but the Democrats have produced a mythological Clinton.

How is it that the only conservative response to just about anything is CLINTON. Surely there is more out there than this one man?

How is it that the only conservative response to just about anything is CLINTON. Surely there is more out there than this one man?

Sure there are more out there than "this one man", but he's the only one who was elected president. Ted Kennedy is a great target, but he's never been elected president. I was comparing "myths" that have been created around presidents--Reagan for the Republicans and Clinton for the Democrats.

Adam, but Clinton has none of the myth status of Reagan. The president who required index cards to answer questions single handedly brought down the great communist empire. You do remember that don't you.

Adam, but Clinton has none of the myth status of Reagan.

That because Clinton's accomplishments pale in comparison to Reagan's, and Reagan always respected the office that he held. To an overwhelming majority of Democrats, Clinton has been a hell of a "myth" for a long time. There's evidence now that some in the party have finally come to their senses and are trying to uncouple themselves from the Clintons. (It just takes some longer to learn the lesson, but it's always better to be late than never at all.)

yes.. ketchup as a veggie for schools, iran-contra oliver north, illegal alien amnesty and some of the worst unemployment in the last 40 years.

Gosh, the ghost of ray gun sure is there to worship, isn't it?

reaganomics. good grief.

Forum List

Back