The Uniqueness of Christ

What does that mean? Maybe Buddha?

Maybe Buddha is as famous as Jesus Christ.

He gave up his kingdom, his wealth, political power and his army. Even after giving up all this he is still famous, and Buddhists didn't even convert others through violence, like Christianity did and like Islam does even now.

Jesus never had any of that to give up.

Any rich influential person can give up what they have and still remain influential and at the drop of a hat regain what they gave up.

He gave up his kingdom, his wealth, political power and his army. Even after giving up all this he is still famous, and Buddhists didn't even convert others through violence, like Christianity did and like Islam does even now.

no doubt-----Buddha, Jesus, and Muhummad ----ARE ALL VERY FAMOUS-----but I see nothing
all that unique in any of them. Muhummad is a cult leader who CAUGHT ON. Jesus was
posthumously made a cult leader who caught on. I do not know how Buddha got popular

10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus - Listverse

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors - Wikipedia

Well at least someone is trying to address my OP. Thanks for that.

Upon examination of the article, however, it does not appear any of them are close to the uniqueness of Christ that I posted, except Krishna.

However, upon further examination of Krishna, it appears the article you provided gave misinformation, such as Krishna being crucified. Krishna was never crucified, he was accidentally killed by a hunter.

Krishna and Christ: Debunking the Parallels between Jesus and Krishna

Krishna was not crucified. He died when the hunter Jara shot him in the sole of his foot. In most stories it was said to be an accident9; in one story, Jara was actually a demon getting revenge for being killed by Krishna in a previous life.10 The reason Krishna died the way he did was that with the exception of the soles of his feet his body was invincible due to a boon granted him by the sage Durvāsas.11

Crucified between two thieves? Nothing like that at all in the authentic Hindu sources.

Krishna died not for our sins but in fulfillment of two curses made against him and his clan: (i) the curse of the widow Gandhari, for not stopping the battle in which her husband Dhritarashtra died,
12 and (ii) the curse of the Brahmanas, for a stunt Krishna’s son, Samba, played on some holy men

Krishna also did not die for our sins

Krishna died not for our sins but in fulfillment of two curses made against him and his clan: (i) the curse of the widow Gandhari, for not stopping the battle in which her husband Dhritarashtra died,12 and (ii) the curse of the Brahmanas, for a stunt Krishna’s son, Samba, played on some holy men.13

I even took the liberty of getting the perspective of a Hindu.

The first thing which comes in my mind when I think of Christ is a feel of disappointment. I feel like I am a sinner and that I should firmly stick to Christ for my salvation. I feel dejected, morose, tired and exasperated with a feel of unknown guilt. I feel orphaned and helpless. Until the introduction of Krishna in my life, I felt life is a heinous crime and I am in no power to take control of my situation. That I have to be very very honest, suffocating myself, and can never ever do any 'wrong' thing in my life.

When I think of Krishna, I feel joy! The first thing that comes to my mind is fun. Krishna's way is so immoral but in that immorality it is so moral that it eases all the frustrations. Christ must say: Don't steal. But Krishna used to steal BUTTER not only from his home but also from all his neighbours. Yet he never stole anything valuable!

Krishna's ways are eccentric. He would do many things which can be put into the bracket of "immoral", like lying, stealing, beating, killing, affairs! Yet he never seemed wrong. Strange are his ways. Coz he knows where the limit is. He never crossed the lines. He never lied a word which could bring havoc to the society, he would never beat a man who is helpless, he would never kill someone who asked for mercy, he would never lure a woman into incest.

Before actually typing my response to this post of yours, I tried to search this thread for any other mentions of Krishna, thinking such a result would include a reply to your post but alas, this forum doesn't seem to have a such a feature. So I searched the entire "Religion and Ethics" sub-forum and your post seems to be the only one in this thread mentioning Krishna.

I'm not from USA, I'm from India, and I was raised in a Hindu family, like most Hindus in India, being Hindus here means only celebrating Hindu festivals, ceremonies and following a culture indigenous to our region, we like everyone else don't follow our religion strictly, most of us don't even read our scriptures.

I'm not aware of a single instance here, where a native or orthodox Hindu ever drew parallels between Jesus and Krishna. I suspect the article(s) which has been mentioned has been specially constructed just for the purpose of showing Krishna in some bad light, as if he doesn't have or qualify to be something, which Jesus Christ does.

There are few errors in the work you quoted: 1. Krishna didn't die because of fulfillment of any curse against him, he is believed to have died because of karmic repercussions, Krishna is believed to be an avatar of Vishnu, in his previous avatar, as Rama, he shoots a fatal arrow at a powerful monkey, it's because of this that Krishna is believed to have succumbed to a similar fate. 2. Gandhari never became a widow through her husband's death on the battlefield, because her husband, Dhritarashtra never took part in the battle, as he was blind from his birth. 3. But Gandhari did curse Krishna and the curse involved that Krishna's clan must become extinct as he allowed her sons to be killed in the battle.

You write "Krishna also did not die for our sins" as if it is a bad thing, Hindus have their own spiritual world view, in this world view it is believed that everything(including everyone) has it's karma to work out, so we don't think we can outsource expiation of sins to someone else.

Now to answering your questions in the opening post of this thread:

Yours: Who is like him?
Mine: Why should anyone be like Jesus Christ? And why is it a bad thing if someone isn't like Jesus Christ.

Yours: Whose teachings are adored by all religions?
Mine: Which religions other than Christianity and Islam adore Jesus Christ's teachings? You can't use some similarities in teachings in different religions as being adored.

Yours: Whose example are adored by all religions?
Mine: Again which religions other than Christianity and Islam adore his examples?

Yours: Who else said that only through him can we know God, and then lowered himself to be our servant?
Mine: Why is it a bad thing if someone didn't say that only through him can we know God?

Yours: Who else fed us when we hungered and healed us when we were sick?
Mine: Plenty people do that. Have you never heard of charities and hospitals?

Yours: Who else is as famous having never been rich, never held political power, and never having an army to fight for you? In fact, who is as famous?
Mine: Many people, maybe Buddha.

Yours: Who else has given their life for you?
Mine: Many people.

Yours: Who else allowed others to write about him instead of him writing about himself?

And lastly I'm not even a devotee of Krishna. Krishna isn't the only God in Hinduism, but because of ISKCON he is well know outside India. I registered just to counter errors in that work debunking parallels.

Counter------so true----the moral lessons of just about all religions have LOTS IN COMMON----
but it is not an idea you can sell to either Christians or Muslims

No one denies they have a lot in common.

Who denies that?

In fact, most world religions have evolved from the Bible.

Any rich influential person can give up what they have and still remain influential and at the drop of a hat regain what they gave up.

muhummad did not have it------he PILLAGED FOR IT (and married well)

no doubt-----Buddha, Jesus, and Muhummad ----ARE ALL VERY FAMOUS-----but I see nothing
all that unique in any of them. Muhummad is a cult leader who CAUGHT ON. Jesus was
posthumously made a cult leader who caught on. I do not know how Buddha got popular

Mohammad was a warlord.

He is not comparable.

Again, who is like Jesus?

He never led an army, never held a political position, and was never wealthy.

Yet he is the most famous man in the world?

Very odd.

Upon examination of the article, however, it does not appear any of them are close to the uniqueness of Christ that I posted, except Krishna.

However, upon further examination of Krishna, it appears the article you provided gave misinformation, such as Krishna being crucified. Krishna was never crucified, he was accidentally killed by a hunter.

Krishna was not crucified. He died when the hunter Jara shot him in the sole of his foot. In most stories it was said to be an accident9; in one story, Jara was actually a demon getting revenge for being killed by Krishna in a previous life.10 The reason Krishna died the way he did was that with the exception of the soles of his feet his body was invincible due to a boon granted him by the sage Durvāsas.11

Crucified between two thieves? Nothing like that at all in the authentic Hindu sources.

Krishna died not for our sins but in fulfillment of two curses made against him and his clan: (i) the curse of the widow Gandhari, for not stopping the battle in which her husband Dhritarashtra died,
12 and (ii) the curse of the Brahmanas, for a stunt Krishna’s son, Samba, played on some holy men

Krishna died not for our sins but in fulfillment of two curses made against him and his clan: (i) the curse of the widow Gandhari, for not stopping the battle in which her husband Dhritarashtra died,12 and (ii) the curse of the Brahmanas, for a stunt Krishna’s son, Samba, played on some holy men.13

The first thing which comes in my mind when I think of Christ is a feel of disappointment. I feel like I am a sinner and that I should firmly stick to Christ for my salvation. I feel dejected, morose, tired and exasperated with a feel of unknown guilt. I feel orphaned and helpless. Until the introduction of Krishna in my life, I felt life is a heinous crime and I am in no power to take control of my situation. That I have to be very very honest, suffocating myself, and can never ever do any 'wrong' thing in my life.

When I think of Krishna, I feel joy! The first thing that comes to my mind is fun. Krishna's way is so immoral but in that immorality it is so moral that it eases all the frustrations. Christ must say: Don't steal. But Krishna used to steal BUTTER not only from his home but also from all his neighbours. Yet he never stole anything valuable!

Krishna's ways are eccentric. He would do many things which can be put into the bracket of "immoral", like lying, stealing, beating, killing, affairs! Yet he never seemed wrong. Strange are his ways. Coz he knows where the limit is. He never crossed the lines. He never lied a word which could bring havoc to the society, he would never beat a man who is helpless, he would never kill someone who asked for mercy, he would never lure a woman into incest.

Before actually typing my response to this post of yours, I tried to search this thread for any other mentions of Krishna, thinking such a result would include a reply to your post but alas, this forum doesn't seem to have a such a feature. So I searched the entire "Religion and Ethics" sub-forum and your post seems to be the only one in this thread mentioning Krishna.

I'm not from USA, I'm from India, and I was raised in a Hindu family, like most Hindus in India, being Hindus here means only celebrating Hindu festivals, ceremonies and following a culture indigenous to our region, we like everyone else don't follow our religion strictly, most of us don't even read our scriptures.

I'm not aware of a single instance here, where a native or orthodox Hindu ever drew parallels between Jesus and Krishna. I suspect the article(s) which has been mentioned has been specially constructed just for the purpose of showing Krishna in some bad light, as if he doesn't have or qualify to be something, which Jesus Christ does.

There are few errors in the work you quoted: 1. Krishna didn't die because of fulfillment of any curse against him, he is believed to have died because of karmic repercussions, Krishna is believed to be an avatar of Vishnu, in his previous avatar, as Rama, he shoots a fatal arrow at a powerful monkey, it's because of this that Krishna is believed to have succumbed to a similar fate. 2. Gandhari never became a widow through her husband's death on the battlefield, because her husband, Dhritarashtra never took part in the battle, as he was blind from his birth. 3. But Gandhari did curse Krishna and the curse involved that Krishna's clan must become extinct as he allowed her sons to be killed in the battle.

You write "Krishna also did not die for our sins" as if it is a bad thing, Hindus have their own spiritual world view, in this world view it is believed that everything(including everyone) has it's karma to work out, so we don't think we can outsource expiation of sins to someone else.

Mine: Why should anyone be like Jesus Christ? And why is it a bad thing if someone isn't like Jesus Christ.

Mine: Which religions other than Christianity and Islam adore Jesus Christ's teachings? You can't use some similarities in teachings in different religions as being adored.

Mine: Again which religions other than Christianity and Islam adore his examples?

Yours: Who else said that only through him can we know God, and then lowered himself to be our servant?
Mine: Why is it a bad thing if someone didn't say that only through him can we know God?

Yours: Who else is as famous having never been rich, never held political power, and never having an army to fight for you? In fact, who is as famous?

Yours: Who else allowed others to write about him instead of him writing about himself?

And lastly I'm not even a devotee of Krishna. Krishna isn't the only God in Hinduism, but because of ISKCON he is well know outside India. I registered just to counter errors in that work debunking parallels.

Counter------so true----the moral lessons of just about all religions have LOTS IN COMMON----

Who denies that?

for the sake of your reputation, you should delete that remark

Who denies that?

For the sake of your reputation, refute it.

Mohammad was a warlord.

He is not comparable.

Very odd.

I do not find it odd-------ROME did it with its "all roads" project

Mohammad was a warlord.

He is not comparable.

Very odd.

Don't get me wrong, the religion of Rome had NOTHING to do with the Bible, but it has long died off, as did the gods of the Greeks. That's because they were all false religions.

However, in today's world what has survived? It seems to me that only religions that point to the Bible do, outside of far Eastern religions like Hinduism.

Who denies that?

The Lenilenapes of the Hudson Valley did not base their religion on
DA BIBLE

Mohammad was a warlord.

He is not comparable.

Very odd.

Don't get me wrong, the religion of Rome had NOTHING to do with the Bible, but it has long died off, as did the gods of the Greeks. That's because they were all false religions.

However, in today's world what has survived? It seems to me that only religions that point to the Bible do, outside of far Eastern religions like Hinduism.

ok----Hinduism and Buddhism and Taoism and Marxism and Soccerism and HOLLYBOLLYWOODISM

Who denies that?

DA BIBLE

List the religions of the world today.

The two predominate ones are Christianity and Islam.

Then there are a myriad of sects within each like Mormons, JW's, Sunni, Shiite, etc.

Now compare that with everything else.

Who denies that?

DA BIBLE

List the religions of the world today.

The two predominate ones are Christianity and Islam.

Then there are a myriad of sects within each like Mormons, JW's, Sunni, Shiite, etc.

Now compare that with everything else.

in twenty words or less?

Christ preached a kingdom that would dispel the apostasy of the Jews and the moral relativism of the pagans.

He was right. Jewish ceremonial, civil, and dietary customs all but ceased at the destruction of the Temple in AD 70; by the end of the Bar Kokhba Revolt in 136, the Jewish polital state had completely collapsed.
By the end of the fourth century, Christians outnumbered pagans in the Roman Empire. Pantheons are now pretty much relegated to the dustbin of history.

Jesus preached a kingdom that would change the world, which is exactly what Christianity did.

Buddha preached existential nonsense and Mohammed preached violence. No real improvement. Nothing revolutionary.

If he never had those things to give up, why did he claim that he was the King of Jews?

Here is a source: 8 Bible verses about Jesus Christ, King (the last verse)

And being a king means having wealth, political power and army. Wasn't it one of the reasons for which he was crucified? For coveting something which wasn't his? If he never had any of those, he wouldn't have claimed that he did and he wouldn't have been crucified.

Being Buddhist means renouncing everything, the influence Buddha had was through his teachings, millions converted to his religion because of the truth it contained, not because of threats, violence, or some guilt trip.

Forum List

Back