The Ultimate Secular Christmas "Hymn"

I know people go wild for this Josh Groban song, but as I heard it on the radio yesterday, two things occurred to me:

1. The sentimentality of it is based on nothing. Absolutely nothing. I would never have my students sing this song because I recognize that straight away. "Dreams", "destinations", but mostly, some nebulous "feeling" that is fleeting and tentative. Footie pajamas, opening presents, snow, hot chocolate--I don't know what. Do not get me wrong: there are very good songs about working toward and achieving dreams. This is not one of them.

2. It's sentimental schlock. It's Christmas without any religion. It's what you're left with when it's all holiday with no foundation. I say that's fine if you're trying for Rudolph and Let it Snow and Jingle Bells. When you try to reach for Meaningful, you end up with....this.

What do you think?

It says "You're a special snowflake, you can do anything if you just believe in yourself." A la Secular Humanism, removing Christ from Christmas.

While that's a good attitude to have, at times it's best to realize when things are not going as expected and try something different. It's also good to realize there may be forces at work bigger than yourself around.

2 things Christmas centers around:

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 2:1-20 - King James Version

and/or

https://www.biography.com/people/st-nicholas-204635

Either way, it's a Christian holiday.

The following Federal holidays are established by law (5 U.S.C. 6103):

• New Year's Day (January 1).
  • Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Third Monday in January).
  • Washington's Birthday (Third Monday in February).
  • Memorial Day (Last Monday in May).
  • Independence Day (July 4).
  • Labor Day (First Monday in September).
  • Columbus Day (Second Monday in October).
  • Veterans Day (November 11).
  • Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November).
  • Christmas Day (December 25).
what do you mean, either way, morrison - its a christian holiday, not to mention its always been a holiday, the winter solstice since recorded time ...

what's phony is your religion choosing that time to selfishly then claim it is for you alone.

you too sweety, buttout with your anti-secular rhetoric for the Holiday's celebration, solstice your religion purposely chose having nothing to do with religion but to encourage worshiping your fictitious messiah.

Christmas is Christian.

Christians ruin Christmas

I know people go wild for this Josh Groban song, but as I heard it on the radio yesterday, two things occurred to me:

1. The sentimentality of it is based on nothing. Absolutely nothing. I would never have my students sing this song because I recognize that straight away. "Dreams", "destinations", but mostly, some nebulous "feeling" that is fleeting and tentative. Footie pajamas, opening presents, snow, hot chocolate--I don't know what. Do not get me wrong: there are very good songs about working toward and achieving dreams. This is not one of them.

2. It's sentimental schlock. It's Christmas without any religion. It's what you're left with when it's all holiday with no foundation. I say that's fine if you're trying for Rudolph and Let it Snow and Jingle Bells. When you try to reach for Meaningful, you end up with....this.

What do you think?

It says "You're a special snowflake, you can do anything if you just believe in yourself." A la Secular Humanism, removing Christ from Christmas.

While that's a good attitude to have, at times it's best to realize when things are not going as expected and try something different. It's also good to realize there may be forces at work bigger than yourself around.

and/or

what do you mean, either way, morrison - its a christian holiday, not to mention its always been a holiday, the winter solstice since recorded time ...

what's phony is your religion choosing that time to selfishly then claim it is for you alone.

you too sweety, buttout with your anti-secular rhetoric for the Holiday's celebration, solstice your religion purposely chose having nothing to do with religion but to encourage worshiping your fictitious messiah.

Christmas is Christian.

Christians ruin Christmas

No, SJWs and fucktards like you do.

What do you think?

and/or

No bitch. It's fucktards like you claiming that Christianity isn't the origin of the holiday, because it is. According to your post that I'm quoting, you worship the Federal government like a total moron lemming.

"The following Federal holidays are established by law (5 U.S.C. 6103):"

Easter. 'Nuff said.

iu

Forum List

Back