The Ultimate Secular Christmas "Hymn"

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
I know people go wild for this Josh Groban song, but as I heard it on the radio yesterday, two things occurred to me:

1. The sentimentality of it is based on nothing. Absolutely nothing. I would never have my students sing this song because I recognize that straight away. "Dreams", "destinations", but mostly, some nebulous "feeling" that is fleeting and tentative. Footie pajamas, opening presents, snow, hot chocolate--I don't know what. Do not get me wrong: there are very good songs about working toward and achieving dreams. This is not one of them.

2. It's sentimental schlock. It's Christmas without any religion. It's what you're left with when it's all holiday with no foundation. I say that's fine if you're trying for Rudolph and Let it Snow and Jingle Bells. When you try to reach for Meaningful, you end up with....this.

What do you think?

I know people go wild for this Josh Groban song, but as I heard it on the radio yesterday, two things occurred to me:

1. The sentimentality of it is based on nothing. Absolutely nothing. I would never have my students sing this song because I recognize that straight away. "Dreams", "destinations", but mostly, some nebulous "feeling" that is fleeting and tentative. Footie pajamas, opening presents, snow, hot chocolate--I don't know what. Do not get me wrong: there are very good songs about working toward and achieving dreams. This is not one of them.

2. It's sentimental schlock. It's Christmas without any religion. It's what you're left with when it's all holiday with no foundation. I say that's fine if you're trying for Rudolph and Let it Snow and Jingle Bells. When you try to reach for Meaningful, you end up with....this.

What do you think?

It says "You're a special snowflake, you can do anything if you just believe in yourself." A la Secular Humanism, removing Christ from Christmas.

While that's a good attitude to have, at times it's best to realize when things are not going as expected and try something different. It's also good to realize there may be forces at work bigger than yourself around.

2 things Christmas centers around:

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 2:1-20 - King James Version

and/or

https://www.biography.com/people/st-nicholas-204635

Either way, it's a Christian holiday.

What do you think?

It says "You're a special snowflake, you can do anything if you just believe in yourself." A la Secular Humanism, removing Christ from Christmas.

While that's a good attitude to have, at times it's best to realize when things are not going as expected and try something different. It's also good to realize there may be forces at work bigger than yourself around.

and/or

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but this is what the makers of that movie said and did.
Is The Polar Express an evangelical film?

so many q's.......do bumbles really bounce?
Imagertrnrb.jpg

is there a blue or green baron?
snoopy_20red_20baron_20print-small_400sq.jpg

was rudolph just another crackhead?
rudolph-the-red-losed-reindeer.jpg

~S~

What do you think?

and/or

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but this is what the makers of that movie said and did.

I disagree and obviously, so does most of popular culture. "Just believe in Santa and you will get those warm and fuzzy feelings". That's the entire movie, so it would seem, and also the song.

Unfortunately this is what almost all unbelievers think Christianity is as well. In Polar Express it's sentimental slop, really. The boy ends up believing for a few more years I suppose--lovely. Then what?

What do you think?

and/or

In some ways I think it's actually worse than that. It says "Just keep believing in this fairy tale--that adults know is a fairy tale, actually--because on a few days a year it will give you a special, special feeling. Based on nothing."

I'm not THAT sentimental, I find. I just can't be. You can sell me on Rudolph, Winter Wonderland and all of that. But you can't sell me on that sentimental slop.

What about a Christmas Hyr?

Well I don't know what that is, but as long as it's not asking me to believe in something most children stop believing long about 8 years old because footie pajamas and snow and hot cocoa and warm feelings...I can probably go for it. :)

What do you think?

and/or

I disagree and obviously, so does most of popular culture. "Just believe in Santa and you will get those warm and fuzzy feelings". That's the entire movie, so it would seem, and also the song.

Unfortunately this is what almost all unbelievers think Christianity is as well. In Polar Express it's sentimental slop, really. The boy ends up believing for a few more years I suppose--lovely. Then what?

So you think it was just all about believing in Santa. Too bad you missed all the deeper meanings in the interactions between the boy and others.

Ooo, it says they might produce "The Chronicles of Narnia".

:clap:

Now that IS based on Christianity, through and through. Great series.

What do you think?

and/or

So you think it was just all about believing in Santa. Too bad you missed all the deeper meanings in the interactions between the boy and others.

All around the boy had nice interactions with others. But yes, the entire plot line was: he's about to lose his belief in Santa and then he goes to the North Pole, meets the real dude, and gets it back. Until when, we don't know.

And secularists, amazingly, go crazy about this absolutely cotton candy movie, spun up out of nothing. I don't get it. Well, actually, yes I do. I absolutely do. And it is so sad.

What do you think?

and/or

All around the boy had nice interactions with others. But yes, the entire plot line was: he's about to lose his belief in Santa and then he goes to the North Pole, meets the real dude, and gets it back. Until when, we don't know.

And secularists, amazingly, go crazy about this absolutely cotton candy movie, spun up out of nothing. I don't get it. Well, actually, yes I do. I absolutely do. And it is so sad.

Yep. Most of it zoomed right over your head, and you missed it.

and/or

Yes, don't be skeptical, hold on to your "dreams" and "wonder". I get all that. But about what, in the end?

About SANTA. About Christmas, but all the secular parts. Just SANTA. Which in itself, as we all know, is a FAIRY. TALE.

An actual fairy tale. Which secularists adore.

The irony of that kinda hurts me....

I didn't hear anything like Rudolph or Jingle Bells. What I heard was something quite spiritual. The song is all about belief and the words urge everyone to act upon what their heart is telling them. I can easily see how Christians could apply this song to their faith.

The following verse strongly suggests a life beyond this mortal existence; a final, wonderful destination:

“Trains move quickly to their journey's end
Destinations are where we begin again
Ships go sailing far across the sea
Trusting starlight to get where they need to be
When it seems that we have lost our way
We find ourselves again on Christmas day.”

The song was not written about children at Christmas time; it was written for adults who have become so entangled in the secular word they have lost site of something more important. They lost their simple childlike faith. I believe the Bible addresses this issue:

“And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein” Mark 10:13-15, KJV).

That's just my humble opinion. Your question deserved an answer and I've done my best to explain how I feel. I'm certain that others will have a different interpretation. Poetry, good poetry, makes one think.

Yes, don't be skeptical, hold on to your "dreams" and "wonder". I get all that. But about what, in the end?

About SANTA. About Christmas, but all the secular parts. Just SANTA. Which in itself, as we all know, is a FAIRY. TALE.

An actual fairy tale. Which secularists adore.

The irony of that kinda hurts me....

Yes. Santa is a fairy tale. The trust and friendship he gained by letting the other kids into his closed and protective shell was not.

What do you think?

Guess you didn’t enjoy Dominic the Christmas Donkey

New Topics

Forum List

Back