The ugly truths of history war should be required in high school

The first time I saw one of these movies of actual footage I was in my 20's, taking a college night class. I literally couldn't eat the whole next day. I kept crying. I kept remembering the huge pile of human hair that had been shaved off people and was being kept for stuffing furniture. I wondered if I was as bad as a civilian German for ... something, I can't remember what, now, I thought I was accepting that was wrong. I was an absolute fucking mess. I don't know that I want high school students subjected to that. It was in a philosophy class that I had to watch it, though. The professor told us beliefs do indeed have consequences. Philosophy does matter.
Teaching the Holocaust is important, of course, and it IS taught. Diary of Anne Frank and all that.
Just not the documentaries, RodISHI.
I don't know who the nasty little pansies that are so hip on fighting and going to war are, either.
Actually the teaching of historic events that shape the world we now live in isn't being taught and a lot of these kids growing up have no clue as they play fantasy video games. Some older adults I know are no better than their prodigy in that area of having decency and respect or any humility when it comes to other human beings. On the other hand many in this society has gotten so wrapped up in being worried about feelings and forcing agendas they have no clue what real abuse is.
Yeah, I work with high school drop outs who don't know what the 4th of July is for and can't name the three branches of government, and don't have a clue what century Europe settled America. I like to think that's because they dropped out, but I don't know for sure.
Not so sure kids are as unfeeling and unaware as you think, though. They may need a little firmer hand in some colleges, but I think at least they have enough respect NOT to want to spread racist hate or bigotry against gays. That's something, even if they do get a little overzealous.

"A little overzealous"? If you are referring to the little nazi trash in training at Berkeley and NYU, you should be ashamed of yourself.
The little nazi trash of my generation became the baby boomers who are now comfortably retiring and keeping America afloat with their incomes. They're young, Unkotare. We went back to the land and put flowers in gun barrels, got stoned a lot and generally acted like idealistic idiots. Reality will hit them in the face and you know it. Life happens to all of us. Why is everyone so damned cranky about kids burning a few flags?

Turn on the news once in a while.
I do. Every day, and not just CNN. I remember the Black Panthers and the What's It-Underground and bombs and taking over university buildings for days. All gone now.
If you put down your judgmental scowl and wagging finger and asked what's wrong instead, it might get you farther.

Forum List

Back