The U.S. War On Drugs May Soon Run Into A Problem...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
From The Guatemala Times

US no longer dominates drug war agenda in Central America

The President of Guatemala, Otto Perez put the issue of drug legalization on the SICA agenda in a historic meeting in Antigua, Guatemala on Saturday, despite the efforts of a certain power to get the meeting canceled at the last minute. For the first time 3 Central American Leaders defied the US and send a strong and clear message: we consider the war on drugs failed, we demand that US takes the responsibility, we demand the US pays, we are not paying the price for US failure.

It is very clear that the Presidents of Central America and many Latin American countries are tired of the empty promises and empty US rhetoric on the war on drugs. They have also learned the lesson from Mexico, where President Calderon has been doing as the US asks, turning the country into a bloodbath. Last week Gen. Charles Jacoby, commander of U.S. Northern Command, said during testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee: Mexico’s “decapitation” strategy of capturing or killing high-value drug cartel leaders with the help of U.S. has a problem, it isn´t working. “The decapitation strategy — they’ve been successful at that. Twenty-two out of the top 37 trafficking figures that the Mexican government has gone after have been taken off the board. But it has not had an appreciable effect — an appreciable, positive effect.”

It would certainly seem as though, the drug war may come to an end due to necessity rather than pure intellectual reasoning. Some may say that it doesn't necessarily matter what the root cause of the ending of the drug war was or is, but I think that the reasons do matter. The difference will be that between leading a decent, prosperous, and acceptable life and leading a life of scorn, disapproval, and possibly poverty.

The U.S. War on Drugs may soon run into a problem | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

Hmm so what are they going to do? legalize drugs all across central America?

It's beginning to look like it.

That would cause all kinds of hell on our side if they went through with that no?

I'm not sure about that. We have the resources to protect and control our own Border. We can keep illegal drugs out if we want to. What they do in sovereign nations is none of our business. I think it's time to end the 'War on Drugs' in foreign nations. But that's just how i see it anyway.

That would cause all kinds of hell on our side if they went through with that no?

I'm not sure about that. We have the resources to protect and control our own Border. We can keep illegal drugs out if we want to. What they do in sovereign nations is none of our business. I think it's time to end the 'War on Drugs' in foreign nations. But that's just how i see it anyway.

I agree but alot of people have made careers on fighting this war, won't be so easy to just end it you know.

We don't have the resources to keep human beings out. How can we keep out illegal drugs?
We need to end the war on drugs by a surge: try every drug dealer and execute him if found guilty. End of problem.

Legalize drugs stop the crime.

The assailants were reported dressed in all black with masks over their faces and wielded martial arts batons — known as tong fa — to intimidate the deliveryman around 10 p.m. last Friday at an apartment house along the 800 block of South Sunset Avenue in West Covina, police said.

“After he made his delivery, he was walking back to his vehicle and was approached by two males in their 20s wearing ninja costumes and holding white batons,” said Sgt. Travis Tibbets.

The victim dropped the bag of marijuana and fled the scene, said Tibbets

Medical Marijuana Deliveryman Robbed By Baton-Wielding Ninjas In West Covina « CBS Los Angeles

I agree but alot of people have made careers on fighting this war, won't be so easy to just end it you know.

That is an excellent point. The 'War on Drugs' is big business for many.

Not going to change much, there are still millions of Americans they can lock-up for fun and profit.

We don't have the resources to keep human beings out. How can we keep out illegal drugs?
We need to end the war on drugs by a surge: try every drug dealer and execute him if found guilty. End of problem.

Yep. If they had been doing that from the get go then the sale of drugs in this country would have ceased. I can't think of to many people who would be willing to risk death to deal drugs.

Unfortunately you will never see that happen in this country.

Hmm so what are they going to do? legalize drugs all across central America?

Not sure how it would cause hell. Central America would be stripping power and money away from the drug lords. No doubt there would be some backlash from the cartels who would be trying to retain their status, but they would quickly fade away due to lack of money and influence.

We have the resources, we just don't have the will.

Legalize drugs stop the crime.

The assailants were reported dressed in all black with masks over their faces and wielded martial arts batons — known as tong fa — to intimidate the deliveryman around 10 p.m. last Friday at an apartment house along the 800 block of South Sunset Avenue in West Covina, police said.

“After he made his delivery, he was walking back to his vehicle and was approached by two males in their 20s wearing ninja costumes and holding white batons,” said Sgt. Travis Tibbets.

The victim dropped the bag of marijuana and fled the scene, said Tibbets

Medical Marijuana Deliveryman Robbed By Baton-Wielding Ninjas In West Covina « CBS Los Angeles

Weren't you the one who told me legalizing drugs would not necessarily reduce the crime rate?

Not sure how it would cause hell. Central America would be stripping power and money away from the drug lords. No doubt there would be some backlash from the cartels who would be trying to retain their status, but they would quickly fade away due to lack of money and influence.

Well I'm talking about here, legalized narcotics across the border in Mexico and Central America would make it 10 times easier for folks to smuggle drugs across into our country, unless we followed suit and made this all legal as well.

The thing is that doesn't necessarily work, they do that very thing in Iran when they catch drug dealers and they still have a huge drug problem there, especially with heroin.

Well I'm talking about here, legalized narcotics across the border in Mexico and Central America would make it 10 times easier for folks to smuggle drugs across into our country, unless we followed suit and made this all legal as well.

Legalizing Marijuana here, would be a good start. It just makes sense now. It's time to empty our Prisons of the Millions who don't belong there.

The thing is that doesn't necessarily work, they do that very thing in Iran when they catch drug dealers and they still have a huge drug problem there, especially with heroin.

For the right price, people will do anything.

Make capital punishment for speeding, and you offer to give me $10 million to drive 10 over the limit on a country road for an hour, I'll do it.

Forum List

Back