Wind - 25%
Solar - 25%
Hydroelectric - 15%
Nuclear - 20%
Natural Gas/Coal - 10%
Petroleum - 0%
Other - 5%

Cars - 100% electric

Your proper response would have been, "oh, I misinterpreted what you were saying, and yes solar sucks". Instead you have merely dug yourself in deeper.

Why in the world would I say solar sucks? Have to fuel my car somehow, and doing it with the panels is sure better than paying out hard earned dollars at the local extortion store, plus it contributes to my overall "Buy American!" attitude, when possible.

American fuels for our cars I say...be it generated on our rooftops or the clean burning natural gas from the shale gas fields of America.

Because for the most part it does. My system is 27 years old. When I built it I was able to get 13% efficiency out of it (which was OUTSTANDING back then) now it has dropped to 7% or thereabouts. It never was able to power the house, much less my workshop. But, when the grid was down, we hade a nice backup to keep the lights on but to power the refrigerator I had built a water wheel (which is still the best off grid electrical producer I have) and that was the best thing I ever did up here.

Solar is OK for small stuff, but for the big energy users it is hopeless.

Your proper response would have been, "oh, I misinterpreted what you were saying, and yes solar sucks". Instead you have merely dug yourself in deeper.

Why in the world would I say solar sucks? Have to fuel my car somehow, and doing it with the panels is sure better than paying out hard earned dollars at the local extortion store, plus it contributes to my overall "Buy American!" attitude, when possible.

American fuels for our cars I say...be it generated on our rooftops or the clean burning natural gas from the shale gas fields of America.

Because for the most part it does. My system is 27 years old. When I built it I was able to get 13% efficiency out of it (which was OUTSTANDING back then) now it has dropped to 7% or thereabouts. It never was able to power the house, much less my workshop. But, when the grid was down, we hade a nice backup to keep the lights on but to power the refrigerator I had built a water wheel (which is still the best off grid electrical producer I have) and that was the best thing I ever did up here.

Agree
Small stuff fine
Big home and everything that goes with it
Spotty at best
Expensive to buy in
Expensive to maintain

If it was so brilliant - every home would gave it - beginning 20 years ago

Agree
Small stuff fine
Spotty at best
Expensive to buy in
Expensive to maintain

Warts, you are full of shit, as usual. Here you can find solar systems with panels that are 32 cents a watt.

Solar Panels at World's Lowest Price | Making Solar Affordable

Here you can find systems from 2.7 kw to 22 kw, from $5810 to $36,535. Now 36K is hardly a three figure number, and that would take care of a very large house and shop.

Solar Panels from Wholesale Solar

The telling phrase is "at least 50% of their time supporting solar-related activities". This includes a bunch of rent seeking lobbyist parasites and vulture capitalists who seek government subsidies to bail out their investments, envirofreaks, regulators....and on and on.

It's analogous to the stuffing of the scientists stat for AGW...which includes sociologists and other soft social scientists instead of real climatologists.

Last edited:
Ummmm, I hate to point out the obvious...but TT supports the coal miners...

Generally that isn't the position of someone cheerleading their unemployment, and suggesting they have carnal knowledge with themselves.

All from a position undoubtedly achieved through the use of coal or its knock on products. A common position among those who object to basically all power generation mechanisms, and one they seem to miss every time they open their mouths...never figured that one out...:cuckoo:

I think you just didn't bother to read the post correctly. It was clearly sarcastic.

NO WAY

I totally hate coal miners and stuff.

Living in the coal region of PA gives me tons of people to hate.

I also hate fracking and the jobs it brings. filthy fucking frackers!!!

Let me get this straight. Coal produces nearly 50% of energy. Solar produces a fraction of the 2.4% other. My guess is something like 0.5% of our energy. Yet the labor cost exceed coal (and natural gas)? Am I getting this straight.

I am all for exploring new resources, but let's be honest. Solar is light years from being a player in the energy source industry.

4_Energy_Page54Bot-e.preview-380.png

Let me get this straight. Coal produces nearly 50% of energy. Solar produces a fraction of the 2.4% other. My guess is something like 0.5% of our energy. Yet the labor cost exceed coal (and natural gas)? Am I getting this straight.

yes

that is what they appear to be bragging about

--LOL

Agree
Small stuff fine
Spotty at best
Expensive to buy in
Expensive to maintain

Warts, you are full of shit, as usual. Here you can find solar systems with panels that are 32 cents a watt.

Solar Panels at World's Lowest Price | Making Solar Affordable

Here you can find systems from 2.7 kw to 22 kw, from $5810 to $36,535. Now 36K is hardly a three figure number, and that would take care of a very large house and shop.

Solar Panels from Wholesale Solar

What did your system end up costing?
Total
Thanks

The sub division I live in was built mostly in the 1940's. I would estimate that between 15 to 33% of the homes have panels on their roofs.

Is this really that uncommon that people think these kinds of things haven't been going on for a long time?

Net metering around here might be going AWAY, because of the problems that it is causing for XCel energy and their own construction of utility scale projects. Pisses me off to no end, considering how long I've been doing this.

Help Protect Net Metering in Colorado | Independent Power Systems Solar Electric Contractor

Certainly hasn't been expensive, or inconvenient, and just as obviously you don't have to live off grid to take advantage of solar power, be it just for selling back to the utility, or fueling up my car with domestically produced energy. Down with extortion stores!

someone else complaining about a fuel and chemical feedstock they use probably on a daily basis..but OH NO!! It is someone elses fault...just because I DEMAND hydrocarbon products is okay...it is all those OTHER people with the problem....:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Forum List

Back