The U.S. Constitution and The Declaration of Independence

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
w.gif
hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —

The Declaration of Independence: Full text

U.S. Constitution - Table of Contents - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

We the People
of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

U.S. Constitution - Article 5 , Amendment 1: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Were we created or did The Founding Fathers intend that we should be an irreligious people?
Neither.

It was the intent of the Framers that government be religiously neutral, where the people are at liberty to practice whatever faith they so desire – or to be free from faith altogether – absent unwarranted interference from the state.

“The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach.”

Everson v. Board of Education (1947)
That's not entirely true. The establishment clause was written to prevent the federal government from establishing a national religion. The states were free to do so and roughly half of the states had one at the time of ratification. The establishment clause was written to prevent the federal government from interfering with the state established religions. Look it up. Don't make me make you look foolish.

Keep in mind that there were two purposes of the establishment clause: what you stated and the the same purpose at the no religious test clause. This was to protect all Protestant relgions by not elevating one over the other.
They are one in the same, right? To not establish a national religion and to prevent the federal government from interfering with state established religions. Am I missing something else?
It was very nuanced. The power, control over the state, and abuses by the Church of England and other Protestant religions being left out and not receiving federal government tax and other support. Very similar.
That guy is an ass but since he reminds me of me, I can't dislike him very much!

Neither.

It was the intent of the Framers that government be religiously neutral, where the people are at liberty to practice whatever faith they so desire – or to be free from faith altogether – absent unwarranted interference from the state.

“The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach.”

That's not entirely true. The establishment clause was written to prevent the federal government from establishing a national religion. The states were free to do so and roughly half of the states had one at the time of ratification. The establishment clause was written to prevent the federal government from interfering with the state established religions. Look it up. Don't make me make you look foolish.

Keep in mind that there were two purposes of the establishment clause: what you stated and the the same purpose at the no religious test clause. This was to protect all Protestant relgions by not elevating one over the other.
Do you know what failed bill I was referring to that proves the 14th Amendment was never meant to apply to the establishment clause by the framers of the 14th Amendment? If you do, don't tell him. I want him to be honest about the 1st Amendment.

I know it, but there was the orginal Sixteenth Amendment in 1871 that preceded it and one other. Both were prior to the Slaughter House cases.
I can't be mad at Mickey Mouse! Slaughter House cases? I was talking about a bill that failed the same exact senate that passed the 14th Amendment. It was effectively the same language that was rejected at the time the 1st Amendment was written. So there is no way in hell, the Framers of the 14th Amendment ever believed that the 14th Amendment "corrected" the first Amendment. And I'm not going to even get into the illegality of improperly amending the 1st Amendment by SCOTUS aright they don't have.

Blaine?

Do you know what failed bill I was referring to that proves the 14th Amendment was never meant to apply to the establishment clause by the framers of the 14th Amendment? If you do, don't tell him. I want him to be honest about the 1st Amendment.

I know it, but there was the orginal Sixteenth Amendment in 1871 that preceded it and one other. Both were prior to the Slaughter House cases.
I can't be mad at Mickey Mouse! Slaughter House cases? I was talking about a bill that failed the same exact senate that passed the 14th Amendment. It was effectively the same language that was rejected at the time the 1st Amendment was written. So there is no way in hell, the Framers of the 14th Amendment ever believed that the 14th Amendment "corrected" the first Amendment. And I'm not going to even get into the illegality of improperly amending the 1st Amendment by SCOTUS aright they don't have.

Blaine?
Is that who rightwinger is?

Blaine?

I thought you were referring to the Blaine Amendment.

Blaine?

Dang it now he knows the name! Yes, the Blaine Amendment.

Blaine?

I still can't get mad at Mickey Mouse.

Blaine?

The first was Samuel Swinfin Burdett's Sixteenth Amendment on April 19, 1870. Identical language to the Blaine Amendment. I brought up the Slaughter House cases because some argue that the Blaine Amendment was as response to Slaughter House, but there were two identical amendments before it.

Blaine?

The first was Samuel Swinfin Burdett's Sixteenth Amendment on April 19, 1870. Identical language to the Blaine Amendment. I brought up the Slaughter House cases because some argue that the Blaine Amendment was as response to Slaughter House, but there were two identical amendments before it.
You know your shit.

You know your shit.

Following Burdett's amendment, William M. Stewart proposed an amendment on December 19, 1871, that had the same language as the Blaine Amendment. To complicate it further, the Blaine Amendment was proposed on August 4, 1876, but was never voted on. Before it made it out of the Senate committee, Senator George Edmunds edited it and proposed his Edmunds’ Amendment on August 8, which was the amendment that was voted down.

w.gif
hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —

U.S. Constitution - Table of Contents - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

We the People
of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

U.S. Constitution - Article 5 , Amendment 1: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Were we created or did The Founding Fathers intend that we should be an irreligious people?
Neither.

In case you didn't notice, CC does a bang-up job of making himself look foolish with no assistance whatsoever.

w.gif

We the People

Neither.

The 14th Amendment incorporates the Bill of Rights to the states, protecting the rights and liberties of citizens who happen to reside in the states, where state governments are prohibited from engaging in class legislation, consistent with the original understanding an intent of the Amendment.

The rights and liberties of citizens are paramount, the states and local jurisdictions subordinate to those rights and liberties, rights and liberties immune from attack by the states.

That Federal laws and the rulings of Federal courts are the supreme law of the land is settled, accepted, and beyond dispute – acknowledged and codified by Article VI, and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court, whose decisions are binding on the states and local jurisdictions (see Cooper v. Aaron (1958)).

w.gif

We the People

Neither.

The 14th Amendment incorporates the Bill of Rights to the states, protecting the rights and liberties of citizens who happen to reside in the states, where state governments are prohibited from engaging in class legislation, consistent with the original understanding an intent of the Amendment.

The rights and liberties of citizens are paramount, the states and local jurisdictions subordinate to those rights and liberties, rights and liberties immune from attack by the states.

That Federal laws and the rulings of Federal courts are the supreme law of the land is settled, accepted, and beyond dispute – acknowledged and codified by Article VI, and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court, whose decisions are binding on the states and local jurisdictions (see Cooper v. Aaron (1958)).

Can you explain why no one in the 39th Congress, the ensuing Congresses, and the first and second generation Supreme Court following the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment were unaware that the Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Bill of Rights? Or no one was aware that the Bill of Rights were incorporated until the mid-twentieth century?

Forum List

Back