The U.N.'s Rape of the Innocents

I agree the U N is a complete shambles.Back in the 90's i was sent to Cyprus with the U N. We had to man the buffer zone in between the Greek and Turkish armies.The buffer zone ran east to west through the middle of Cyprus and is divided into four parts,each manned by a different nationality.
In our sector (British)we manned the line 24/7 every day of the year.
However in all three other sections of the line it was only manned 8am - 4pm monday to friday and not at all on the weekends so the troops could go out on the town.I suppose they were that good they didnt even need to man their post's.
What pissed me off the most though was because they were conscript soldiers they were paid an extra $35 a day by the U N seven days a week on top of their normal wages.Which we were not entitled to for being professionals and doing a professional job.They also had to use our landrovers because they never took their own vehicles.What was the point of them being there.Just a free paid holiday for them.

taff said:
I agree the U N is a complete shambles.Back in the 90's i was sent to Cyprus with the U N. We had to man the buffer zone in between the Greek and Turkish armies.The buffer zone ran east to west through the middle of Cyprus and is divided into four parts,each manned by a different nationality.
In our sector (British)we manned the line 24/7 every day of the year.
However in all three other sections of the line it was only manned 8am - 4pm monday to friday and not at all on the weekends so the troops could go out on the town.I suppose they were that good they didnt even need to man their post's.
What pissed me off the most though was because they were conscript soldiers they were paid an extra $35 a day by the U N seven days a week on top of their normal wages.Which we were not entitled to for being professionals and doing a professional job.They also had to use our landrovers because they never took their own vehicles.What was the point of them being there.Just a free paid holiday for them.

British Army?

I had a really wild night out in Manama, Bahrain on Christmas of 1990 with some "Desert Rats" that I ran into a bar. Me and another NCO started drinking with this group that we ran into and that was also on R&R we ended up party'n with em until they kicked us out of the bars whatever time that was. We were supposed to be back by midnight, but we didn't get back until 10 AM the next day right as it was time to get ready to leave! Man that was a night!

I was in the desert rats.Part of 7th armoured brigade.We were in Cyprus June till December 1990 then shipped out to the Gulf January 91.
One of my mates went for a desert rats tatoo before we left and the local tatooist used to ss in desert.made the national papers for getting dessert rat tatooed on his arm. :teeth:

taff said:
I was in the desert rats.Part of 7th armoured brigade.We were in Cyprus June till December 1990 then shipped out to the Gulf January 91.
One of my mates went for a desert rats tatoo before we left and the local tatooist used to ss in desert.made the national papers for getting dessert rat tatooed on his arm. :teeth:

LOL :laugh: LOL

We were staying on the "Cunard Princess" their in port in Manama. The US Army was using it as a floating hotel and bar for us Army guys that had been out in the desert since August 26th of 1990! Our battalion, 3/15 Infantry "Can Do" Regiment, was the first armoured infantry unit to arrive and deploy into defesive positions in the desert. So we were given a X-Mas R&R break in Manama on the boat. Me and a couple of other NCOs took a pass into town to look around and of course, the first thing we did was find a bar!

That long in the desert is unreal.You must have been bored out of your skulls.I thought we had it rough in Cyprus for so long.

And that's where we met the guys from the Desert Rat unit. They were just south of Kuwait at that time, along the coast of SA. We were getting ready to start moving out into the western desert but were still deployed outside Dahrain.

taff said:
That long in the desert is unreal.You must have been bored out of your skulls.I thought we had it rough in Cyprus for so long.

We didn't end up leaving until late April. Other than those three nights in Manama, that entire time was out living on our vehicles or in "nomad" tents the division bought off the locals!

I was in Al Jabail in Blackadder Camp.When the gulf finished i moved to Dortmund in Germany and got attached to an American Unit near frankfurt.I think the place was called Budigan.Pronounced that way anyway.Went down to use their track driver courses.
Another funny story there. I went into the PX and asked for a hotdog and chips(what we call fries in the UK).Felt stupid walking to my table with the hotdog and a packet of chips.Im sure the boy on the till was grinning as well.

taff said:
I was in El Jabal in Blackadder Camp.When the gulf finished i moved to Dortmund in Germany and got attached to an American Unit near frankfurt.I think the place was called Budigan.Pronounced that way anyway.Went down to use their track driver courses.
Another funny story there. I went into the PX and asked for a hotdog and chips(what we call fries in the UK).Felt stupid walking to my table with the hotdog and a packet of chips.Im sure the boy on the till was grinning as well.
hah hah! :laugh:

freeandfun1 said:
We didn't end up leaving until late April. Other than those three nights in Manama, that entire time was out living on our vehicles or in "nomad" tents the division bought off the locals!

I bet there was a lot of arguments in your unit.I dont know anybody in the Brit army served that long in the desert in one go.

taff said:
I bet there was a lot of arguments in your unit.I dont know anybody in the Brit army served that long in the desert in one go.

I gotta admit, things didn't get that bad. We stayed real busy so that helped. Also, when it was 120 out, we played a lot of cards and stuff. After X-mas, we were busy getting ready to move plus we played a lot sports and stuff. It was hard, but not that bad overall I guess.

Sir Evil said:
You obviously don't know nothing more than the rest of you whining liberal asshole friends! :321:

most likely not, considering I am a REPUBLICAN.... :asshole: DO you not know what Devils advocate means.

:gives: if I am unliked around here. I am not here to push some stupid fucking agenda. I am here to antagonize all of you who think that you have some better way of doing things. I posted elsewhere earlier...are you people really under the impression that what you say here has some sort of bearing on the world?

Grasp at a clue people. These forums would suck without people like me to come along and pick at you a little.

You all take yourselves so damn serious all the time... LIGHTEN UP AND LAUGH AT YOURSELF A LITTLE BIT.

:dev3: :gross2: :blsmile:

obligerant said:
:gives: if I am unliked around here. I am not here to push some stupid fucking agenda. I am here to antagonize all of you who think that you have some better way of doing things. I posted elsewhere earlier...are you people really under the impression that what you say here has some sort of bearing on the world?

Grasp at a clue people. These forums would suck without people like me to come along and pick at you a little.

You all take yourselves so damn serious all the time... LIGHTEN UP AND LAUGH AT YOURSELF A LITTLE BIT.

We prefer to laugh at you. bellivious.

obligerant said:

Weird...I didn't think these forums sucked before you got here...they are getting near that now though!

obligerant said:

well look at you jumping up and down and waving your hands thinking you make a difference

Forum List

Back