The U.N. might have just traded Women's Rights for Oil...

Mr. Midst

Feb 8, 2017
So, if you haven't heard the news yet, the U.N. has elected Saudi Arabia to be a part of the Women's Rights Commission.

Yes, you are reading that correctly, Saudi Arabia is now one of the heads of Women's Rights.

Now, I don't mean to sound like an angry feminist here, but I for one think that this is a terrible decision because at this moment, I think that Saudi Arabia currently has one of the most oppressed female societies on the entire planet. So I have to wonder what kind of shady dealings had to happen in order for these guys to get on the Women's rights commission.

Your thoughts?

Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's rights commission

Oh we've got no issues with the Saudis. Hell, we're supplying them with the cluster bombs, known to have a 90% collateral casualty rate in the field, that they rain down on Yemen.

Is there any merit to the argument that having them ON the commission -- and thus forced to discuss it -- is better than not? I mean, how can they get any worse at this point?

I could be wrong.

Saudi Arabia, a top U.S. ally, is also on the U.N. Human Rights Council.

I think it is obvious that economics trumps human rights.

Honestly if prefer something far closer to the Saudi Arabian version of women's rights than the US or Europe.

Right. Stoning and/or forcing rape victims to marry attackers, denying voting rights, honor killings, etc.

All great things!

Saudi Arabia was an excellent choice to be a part of the Women's Rights Commission.

They have a firm grasp of how to solve women's issues in todays modern world. .... :thup: .. :cool:

Saudi-Arabia-women-burqa.gif

Okay, here we go, I'm going to piss off EVERYBODY now.
The UN is not our mouthpiece. It is an assembly of all nations and many very different cultures. Including Saudi Arabia. Believe it or not, folks, they get a say as a Muslim country that adheres to Muslim cultural laws. We don't have to agree with them, but they don't agree with our posture on women's rights, either, and you can't have a world wide council on Women's Rights without a major Muslim country being heard from. Do you expect that the U.N. would just shut them up and force them to adopt our traditions and cultural norms?
It ain't just about us. US. Either one.

So, if you haven't heard the news yet, the U.N. has elected Saudi Arabia to be a part of the Women's Rights Commission.

Yes, you are reading that correctly, Saudi Arabia is now one of the heads of Women's Rights.

Now, I don't mean to sound like an angry feminist here, but I for one think that this is a terrible decision because at this moment, I think that Saudi Arabia currently has one of the most oppressed female societies on the entire planet. So I have to wonder what kind of shady dealings had to happen in order for these guys to get on the Women's rights commission.

Your thoughts?

Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's rights commission
The UN does not control the US, particularly with our new and improved president.

Is there any merit to the argument that having them ON the commission -- and thus forced to discuss it -- is better than not? I mean, how can they get any worse at this point?

I could be wrong.
Yeah, if we put dimocrats back in charge, it can get a lot worse.

Forum List

Back