The two most fiscal conservative presidents in 50 yrs

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
The two most fiscal conservative presidents in 50y

In my opinion, the two most fiscally conservative presidents in the past fifty years have been JFK and Bill Clinton.

When people say conservative each has a different perspective.

A conservative for some is a Pro military use, Salute the Flag, loudly Patriotic American, like Rush Limbaugh or Savage on the Radio. I see a lot of guys doing that for political and monetary gain, but they are not true conservatives. They are just somewhat patriotic guys trying to use public opinion for personal gain.

A TRUE conservative is one who does what is best for this country. Granted, that is my opinion, but I dare anyone to offer proof that THAT is wrong.

JFK and Bill Clinton tried not to add to the national debt. They tried not to get into long drawn out foreign conflicts. That was good for the country. Both of them were acting on true conservative beliefs.

A lot of people did not know that JFK had made the decision to pull the "advisory military assistance force" out of Vietnam before we got too tied up in a corrupt and illogical conflict. He came to that conclusion just a week or so before he was assassinated. If you want to read about it, read the book Johnny-We-Hardly-Knew-Ye.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Johnny-We-Hardly-Knew-Ye/dp/0671824376]Amazon.com: Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye: Kenneth P Odonnell, David Powers: Books[/ame]

A true conservative will find ways to put people to work in growing American businesses by growing American businesses. That can be done by creating an environment that is conducive to the strong growth of business. That, in turn, puts people to work. To those of you who are religious, let me hear an AMEN!

AMEN!

Our latest political bent is to increase taxes on business. Insanity! Just ask JFK. That cuts profits and thus puts businesses out of business or forces them to move to other countries where the tax treatment is not so onerous. And then we wonder why jobs are leaving America? Hummmm?

If we create jobs, the people will have work. If we destroy jobs, what is the result? I'm a conservative. I believe in creating jobs and putting people to work. I never have been able to understand liberals and their attacks on American business.

Fact of the matter is that JFK got almost nothing he wanted through Congress. It took LBJ to twist arms to get the most important legislation in the 20th Century through Congress. He was the only man who could have done it at the time it was done. (I'm talkin' 'bout the social legislation that he will go down in history for.)

Unfortunately, fiscally "conservative" in the GOP means tax cuts at all costs and forgetting the other side of the balance sheet.

Hopefully, with the hammering of the Republicans, new thinking will bring back old values that used to define the GOP, particularly fiscal responsibility.

The two most fiscal conservative presidents in 50y

In my opinion, the two most fiscally conservative presidents in the past fifty years have been JFK and Bill Clinton.

When people say conservative each has a different perspective.

A conservative for some is a Pro military use, Salute the Flag, loudly Patriotic American, like Rush Limbaugh or Savage on the Radio. I see a lot of guys doing that for political and monetary gain, but they are not true conservatives. They are just somewhat patriotic guys trying to use public opinion for personal gain.

A TRUE conservative is one who does what is best for this country. Granted, that is my opinion, but I dare anyone to offer proof that THAT is wrong.

JFK and Bill Clinton tried not to add to the national debt. They tried not to get into long drawn out foreign conflicts. That was good for the country. Both of them were acting on true conservative beliefs.

A lot of people did not know that JFK had made the decision to pull the "advisory military assistance force" out of Vietnam before we got too tied up in a corrupt and illogical conflict. He came to that conclusion just a week or so before he was assassinated. If you want to read about it, read the book Johnny-We-Hardly-Knew-Ye.
Amazon.com: Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye: Kenneth P Odonnell, David Powers: Books

A true conservative will find ways to put people to work in growing American businesses by growing American businesses. That can be done by creating an environment that is conducive to the strong growth of business. That, in turn, puts people to work. To those of you who are religious, let me hear an AMEN!

AMEN!

Our latest political bent is to increase taxes on business. Insanity! Just ask JFK. That cuts profits and thus puts businesses out of business or forces them to move to other countries where the tax treatment is not so onerous. And then we wonder why jobs are leaving America? Hummmm?

If we create jobs, the people will have work. If we destroy jobs, what is the result? I'm a conservative. I believe in creating jobs and putting people to work. I never have been able to understand liberals and their attacks on American business.

Bill Clinton raised taxes and regulation liabilities on Business... He sued the driving force of the tech-bubble which was driving that magical Clinton economy and KILLED IT! (The tech-bubble, not MS) He cut defense and intelligence spending, crippled the means of National intelligence and law enforcement from communicating, exposed US intelligence tactics to discovery by prosecuting illegal combatants who were at war with the US...

All of the fiscal conservatism you're harping about regarding Clinton was a direct function of the CONSERVATIVE Majority which came to power in 1994.

There's not a conservative element within the Clinton framework... Clinton was and remains a criminal of the highest order.

Although I agree with you on JFK... He was Ronald freakin' REAGAN compared to the most conservative Democrat in the US today.

There is absolutely NOTHING conservative about the Democrats in government today... When the most conservative Democrat in DC is Joe Lieberman you've got real problems kids.

Unfortunately, fiscally "conservative" in the GOP means tax cuts at all costs and forgetting the other side of the balance sheet.

Hopefully, with the hammering of the Republicans, new thinking will bring back old values that used to define the GOP, particularly fiscal responsibility.

OK Toro, you've made this claim dozens of times and dozens of times you've been challenged to post just what the "old values that used to define the GOP" were...

NOW EITHER POST WHAT YOU FEEL THOSE VALUES WERE AND SHOW A DISTINCTION OR SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT.

Lets see what all this agnst is about...

(What she wants to project is the Country Club GOP of Rockefellar and IKE... Easy goin' leftist appeasers...)

Bill Clinton raised taxes and regulation liabilities on Business... He sued the driving force of the tech-bubble which was driving that magical Clinton economy and KILLED IT! (The tech-bubble, not MS) He cut defense and intelligence spending, crippled the means of National intelligence and law enforcement from communicating, exposed US intelligence tactics to discovery by prosecuting illegal combatants who were at war with the US...

All of the fiscal conservatism you're harping about regarding Clinton was a direct function of the CONSERVATIVE Majority which came to power in 1994.

There's not a conservative element within the Clinton framework... Clinton was and remains a criminal of the highest order.

Although I agree with you on JFK... He was Ronald freakin' REAGAN compared to the most conservative Democrat in the US today.

There is absolutely NOTHING conservative about the Democrats in government today... When the most conservative Democrat in DC is Joe Lieberman you've got real problems kids.

Well fella you are just wrong on the facts.

The 1993 BRA written and passed into law without one single R vote( Gore had to vote in the senate to break the tie) is creifdited by the GAO and the CBO with creating the majority of the surpluses of the 1990s.

The republicans hammered it as a huge fiasco for the country and ....well.... they were WRONG just like you.

It is just too damn bad the GOP had to make such unfair tax cuts and transfer so much earning power from the middle class to the wealthy.

The only "conservative" attitude in the GOP in my lifetime has been on religious and social issues.

-Joe

OK Toro, you've made this claim dozens of times and dozens of times you've been challenged to post just what the "old values that used to define the GOP" were...

NOW EITHER POST WHAT YOU FEEL THOSE VALUES WERE AND SHOW A DISTINCTION OR SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT.

Lets see what all this agnst is about...

(What she wants to project is the Country Club GOP of Rockefellar and IKE... Easy goin' leftist appeasers...)

Did you know that discretionary, non-defense spending rose higher under Bush II than under Clinton?

It used to be that the Republican party stood for fiscal responsibility. These people were called "deficit hawks." They argued that if you cut taxes, you cut spending, and if you raise spending, you raise taxes.

This is not the Republican party of today, at least nationally. Today, the Republican party is primarily made up of "supply-siders" who want tax cuts at all costs. There is a wide swath of the GOP base that wallows in ignorance who believe that you can, on a broad basis, cut taxes and increase revenues. Bush I correctly identified this as "voodoo economics." Two broad experiments in 30 years has shown how discredited this notion has become. Yet, many so-called "conservatives" believe this is true today.

Let me tell you, StupidusIntifitus, I supported every Republican for President up until 2000 primarily because I thought the Republicans could run the economy better than the Democrats. I don't believe that anymore. I certainly do not believe that Republicans are more financially responsible. They have become the party of financial recklessness and fiscal deficits. Deficits are merely higher taxes on your children. Democrats may be tax-and-spend, but Republicans are tax-your-children-and-spend. At least the Democrats are honest about it. And so much for family values from the GOP.

That's what happens when you pander to anti-intellectualism.

Nor I.

Nor can I really understand why the Republicans are not the staunchest supporters of the FREE TRADE philosophy which is deindustrializing the USA.

Did you know, for example, that not a single telephone is made in the USA?

This cannot be a good thing, folks.

Well fella you are just wrong on the facts.

The 1993 BRA written and passed into law without one single R vote( Gore had to vote in the senate to break the tie) is creifdited by the GAO and the CBO with creating the majority of the surpluses of the 1990s.

The republicans hammered it as a huge fiasco for the country and ....well.... they were WRONG just like you.

Well your correct that the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 Vice President Gore had to break a tie in the Senate,here is the legislative history of the bill.

Ultimately every Republican in Congress voted against the bill, as did a number of Democrats. Vice President Al Gore broke a tie in the Senate on both the Senate bill and the conference report. The House bill passed 219-213.[1] The House passed the conference report on Thursday, August 5, 1993, by a vote of 218 to 216 (217 Democrats and 1 independent (Sanders (VT-I)) voting in favor; 41 Democrats and 175 Republicans voting against), and the Senate passed the conference report on the last day before their month's vacation, on Friday, August 6, 1993, by a vote of 51 to 50 (50 Democrats plus Vice President Gore voting in favor, 6 Democrats (Lautenberg (D-NJ), Bryan (D-NV), Nunn (D-GA), Johnston (D-LA), Boren (D-OK), and Shelby (D-AL) now (R-AL)) and 44 Republicans voting against). President Clinton signed the bill on August 10, 1993.

The other issue at hand with the 1993 OBRA was at the time it was passed the economy has 8 consecutive quarters of growth prior to it's passage and is while it's passge was one of the factors credited to the Clinton economy it was not all of it cited by the GAO and CBO. The additional 1997 Tax Bill that did the following;

Lowered the top capital gains tax rate from 28 percent to 20 percent;
Created a new $500 child tax credit;
Established the new Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits to reduce the after-tax costs of higher education;
Extended the air transportation excise taxes;
Phased in an increase in the estate tax exemption from $600,000 to $1 million;
Established Roth IRAs and increased the income limits for deductible IRAs;
Established education IRAs;
Conformed AMT depreciation lives to regular tax lives; and
Phased in a 15 cent-per-pack increase in the cigarette tax.

also is credited with contributing to the success of the Clinton era economy among other factors. The fact is that President Clinton addressed the deficit while addressing economic issues. His success is a study for the new President to follow, in that you CANNOT raise taxes and increase spending and add to the deficit and expect the economy to improve. Further, the 1993 BRA also was in effect an across the board tax increase, and while yes it did raise the top margin, it did not redirect that revenue to cutting the taxes of the lower margins and increase spending. In fact if President-Elect Obama would follow a Clinton model for his tax policy I would be one of his strongest supporters as Bill Clinton unlike many previous Presidents was one of the few to recoginze that by reducing the deficit you improve the strength of the dollar and the economy.

Forum List

Back