The two most American cars....Honda and Toyota

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
The two most American cars aren't, well, American, according to a new ranking by our friends at Cars.com. For the third straight year, Toyota Camry, a product of Japan's largest automaker, is the "most American car," as determined by Cars.com's formula. Honda Accord, the flagship of Japan's second largest automaker, is second.

The highest car on Cars.com annual ranking from a Detroit Big 3 maker is General Motors' Chevrolet Malibu.

Cars.com's annual American-Made Index ranks the most-American vehicles based on percentage of their parts that are made domestically, where they are assembled and how many are sold to U.S. buyers.

Both Camry and Accord are made with 80% of their parts coming from the USA. And most are assembled in the U.S. Camrys are made in Georgetown, Ky., and Lafayette, Ind.

Report: The two 'most American' cars are Japanese - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

I drive American.

A Ford Ranger -- designed by with parts made by Mitsubichi of Japan, but branded as Ford as its parts are slapped together in the USA.

Buy American?

How?

There has not been an American made vehicle for..what...20 years now.
I remember sitting in a doctors office many years ago reading an article in - I think Newsweek. They listed the "big 3" and the % of foreign parts in them.
Dodge was overwhelmingly foreign made - something like 65%.
GM was next with about half foreign, and Ford was something like 20% or so....but that was 20 years ago.

The last truly all-American made car:

homer-4.jpg

Remember it is the threat of protectionist tariffs or out right blocks on imports in the...80's which forced the Japanese to build their mass production cars here.

And before you have a Honda/Toyota love fest I know the failings of i terference engines, Honda mini van trannies, and Toyota's inability to cast a good pick-up frame.

Then lets have the quiz about if Geo's or Toyotas are/were more reliable to figure out if ownership quizzes are a good source of reliability information.

283k on my 3800V6 touch screen crt 89 Toronado I got bored with two years back.

Sorry, you all hit a sore subject with me on the reliability thing.

In regards to working for our Japanese overlords, they are probably more benevolent than our fruit companies were in the banana republics at least but notice how much good that working for foreigners arrangement did the working class of central America a century back.

Forum List

Back