The Turning Tide? Donors to G.O.P. Are Backing Gay Marriage Push

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Aug 5, 2010
Peaking out from the redwoods
Donors to G.O.P. Are Backing Gay Marriage Push

As gay rights advocates intensify their campaign to legalize same-sex marriage in New York, the bulk of their money is coming from an unexpected source: a group of conservative financiers and wealthy donors to the Republican Party, most of whom are known for bankrolling right-leaning candidates and causes.

Their behind-the-scenes financial support — about $1 million in donations, delivered in recent weeks to a new coalition of gay rights organizations — could alter the political calculus of Albany lawmakers, especially the Republican state senators in whose hands the fate of gay marriage rests.[...]

The involvement of Mr. Singer is the most striking, given his devotion to conservative candidates and philanthropy: He is chairman of the Manhattan Institute, a right-leaning research group, and one of the most generous Republican donors in the country. But he also has a personal stake in the issue: he has a gay son who married his partner in Massachusetts, where same-sex marriage is legal.

It's no longer a partisan issue...

Last edited:
Soon enough people will realize how stupid it is to care so much about keeping others from getting married.

What's really killing the sanctity of marriage in this country? Divorce

As gay rights advocates intensify their campaign to legalize same-sex marriage in New York, the bulk of their money is coming from an unexpected source: a group of conservative financiers and wealthy donors to the Republican Party, most of whom are known for bankrolling right-leaning candidates and causes.

Their behind-the-scenes financial support — about $1 million in donations, delivered in recent weeks to a new coalition of gay rights organizations — could alter the political calculus of Albany lawmakers, especially the Republican state senators in whose hands the fate of gay marriage rests.[...]

The involvement of Mr. Singer is the most striking, given his devotion to conservative candidates and philanthropy: He is chairman of the Manhattan Institute, a right-leaning research group, and one of the most generous Republican donors in the country. But he also has a personal stake in the issue: he has a gay son who married his partner in Massachusetts, where same-sex marriage is legal.

Pretty much what some of us were saying a few years ago...the more people realize it is their family and friends this effects...the more realize that we are people entitled to the same legal protections....as good a reason to come out as any.

Again... I fully believe you would get a lot of conservative support if you would get the government out of the marriage business all together... have the government only recognize family units for the purposes of taxation, inheritance, power of attorney, etc (you know... LEGAL things)... and let people accept or tolerate as they choose to... no government forced acceptance

Again... I fully believe you would get a lot of conservative support if you would get the government out of the marriage business all together... have the government only recognize family units for the purposes of taxation, inheritance, power of attorney, etc (you know... LEGAL things)... and let people accept or tolerate as they choose to... no government forced acceptance

That's been tried here in CA....The petition didn't even come close to getting the signatures to get on the ballot as a proposition.

Soon enough people will realize how stupid it is to care so much about keeping others from getting married.

What's really killing the sanctity of marriage in this country? Divorce

I tend to disagree with both points, Drock. I think there's actually an undercurrent building up AGAINST many of these minority groups getting further protections or recognition in society as a whole.

What's killing the sanctity of marriage in this country?..... The death of the Nuclear Family, the increase in the two-income family, Government intrusion into things like discipline, education, etc.... inside the home, and a general lack of common sense and morality in society as a whole. Divorce is simply another symptom of the issue, not the problem itself.

You might get some support, but I don't believe you'd find anywhere near as much as you think.

That's been tried here in CA....The petition didn't even come close to getting the signatures to get on the ballot as a proposition.

That's CA... not normal person land

And you think it was only Conservatives keeping it off?? I hate to break it to you but I would bet dollars to donuts that it is also the extreme activists on the other side wanting more than just equality as a soap box political statement

Pretty much what some of us were saying a few years ago...the more people realize it is their family and friends this effects...the more realize that we are people entitled to the same legal protections....as good a reason to come out as any.

That's EXACTLY it. It's really hard to look a loved one in the face and say "I love you, but don't think you deserve the same rights as I have". More and more people are coming out every day and it IS increasing the acceptance of gay and lesbian partnerships.

Forum List

Back