The TSA's mission creep is making the US a police state

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It's not just at the airports anymore. We are heading a down a road where it's going to be nearly impossible to travel by any means without having your Constitutional rights violated. I think calling the U.S. a police state has become justified at this point.

Ever since 2010, when the Transportation Security Administration started requiring that travelers in American airports submit to sexually intrusive gropings based on the apparent anti-terrorism principle that "If we can't feel your nipples, they must be a bomb", the agency's craven apologists have shouted down all constitutional or human rights objections with the mantra "If you don't like it, don't fly!"

This callous disregard for travelers' rights merely paraphrases the words of Homeland Security director Janet Napolitano, who shares, with the president, ultimate responsibility for all TSA travesties since 2009. In November 2010, with the groping policy only a few weeks old, Napolitano dismissed complaints by saying "people [who] want to travel by some other means" have that right. (In other words: if you don't like it, don't fly.)

But now TSA is invading travel by other means, too. No surprise, really: as soon as she established groping in airports, Napolitano expressed her desire to expand TSA jurisdiction over all forms of mass transit. In the past year, TSA's snakelike VIPR (Visual Intermodal Prevention and Response) teams have been slithering into more and more bus and train stations – and even running checkpoints on highways – never in response to actual threats, but apparently more in an attempt to live up to the inspirational motto displayed at the TSA's air marshal training center since the agency's inception: "Dominate. Intimidate. Control."

The TSA's mission creep is making the US a police state | Jennifer Abel | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I read about this. I guess the TSA has figured out how mindlessly compliant the American public is.

Wasn't this one of obama's campaign promises? A civilian force as powerful and funded as the military.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2yGzHfy7s]Obama Civilian Security - YouTube[/ame]

So I wonder, if I am lawfully traveling interstate in my private vehicle with a firearm and I attempt to cross the tunnel the TSA gestapo was patrolling, will they stop me and/or confiscate my firearm?

One wonders.

As the technology evolves and the media's sensationalism of individual crimes and terrorist acts, the individuals right to privacy will diminish.

On the one had it is the feeling the citizens get when watching crimes being portrayed constantly by the media, induces a sense of being threatened, when in reality that threat is minimal. The 24-7 coverage is changing the mentality of the citizenry. It becomes an environment of fear and that fear leads to governmental control and intrusion to provide a sense of protection that in reality only exists in the mind.

On the other hand the technological advances make government intrusion into your privacy very easy and give them means and methods to do it cheaply.

This combination is of hype and technology is eroding the sense of privacy we once had as citizens. To make the people feel safe the citizens have given up, bit by bit, privacy rights and our rights will continue to be eroded. The masses are just like cattle being herded into a world where there is no privacy and every move subject to government surveillance and monitoring. We are not there yet and it may be 25 or 50 years down the road but that is where we are heading. In the name of safety.

Granny don't like it when lil' kids or foreigners sneeze on her...
:mad:
Study Looks at Role Airports Play in Spread of Disease, Pandemics
August 08, 2012 — Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have studied the role airports play in spreading disease and pandemics. They found that airports in New York, Los Angeles and Honolulu can spread disease more aggressively than others.
Airports and planes move more than only people. They have also transported diseases such as influenza, SARS, and turburculosis. Yatta Montrell is flying to Hong Kong and Malaysia from Los Angeles. Every time she travels, she worries about getting sick. “I try to take travelers' shots and carry hand sanitizer,” she said. Some airports in the United States are able to spread disease more quickly, according to researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. They looked at the volume of traffic, the amount of long-range travel and connections from certain airports. New York’s Kennedy airport and LAX in Los Angeles ranked highest by those measurements.

Researcher Ruben Juanes was surprised that Honolulu’s smaller airport ranked third in its ability to spread a pandemic. In a Skype interview with VOA, Juanes explains why. “It’s in the middle of the ocean so virtually every connection is a long-range connection that can take away infected passengers very quickly over many thousands of kilometers. And even though the number of connections is small, a large fraction of them are hubs in Asia or North America,” Juanes stated. MIT factored in the travel patterns of individuals: the length of their trips and layovers.

Thomas Valente, professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California, says the study is a reminder that airports can spread pandemics more easily than other transportation hubs. “Airports move people around and, when you’re at an airport, you have time to wait for a plane to leave or if you’re meeting somebody for it to land," said Valente. "So there’s lots of people sitting in close proximity waiting for things to happen.” Sometimes a traveler catches a disease that originated far from home. “Not only will we see more pandemics but we are all globally at more risk to things that are happening in other places,” Valente added.

Jonathan Samet heads the Institute for Global Health at the Universtiy of Southern California. “Many infections are spread just simply by people touching the same surfaces that are contaminated," he said. "So on airplanes again bathrooms, doorknobs are places where infections might spread." Health experts say frequent handwashing is a precaution travelers can take to prevent illness when they’re on the plane or at the airport. MIT’s Ruben Juanes says the study may help forecast how disease will spread when another outbreak occurs.

Source

Oh shut up, don't you know "9/11 changed everything?" Why do you hate America so much? Big Brother has to take your rights away in order to preserve them. What are you not understanding about that? Big Brother knows what's best for you. So sit down and shut up!

It's not just at the airports anymore. We are heading a down a road where it's going to be nearly impossible to travel by any means without having your Constitutional rights violated. I think calling the U.S. a police state has become justified at this point.

Ever since 2010, when the Transportation Security Administration started requiring that travelers in American airports submit to sexually intrusive gropings based on the apparent anti-terrorism principle that "If we can't feel your nipples, they must be a bomb", the agency's craven apologists have shouted down all constitutional or human rights objections with the mantra "If you don't like it, don't fly!"

This callous disregard for travelers' rights merely paraphrases the words of Homeland Security director Janet Napolitano, who shares, with the president, ultimate responsibility for all TSA travesties since 2009. In November 2010, with the groping policy only a few weeks old, Napolitano dismissed complaints by saying "people [who] want to travel by some other means" have that right. (In other words: if you don't like it, don't fly.)

But now TSA is invading travel by other means, too. No surprise, really: as soon as she established groping in airports, Napolitano expressed her desire to expand TSA jurisdiction over all forms of mass transit. In the past year, TSA's snakelike VIPR (Visual Intermodal Prevention and Response) teams have been slithering into more and more bus and train stations – and even running checkpoints on highways – never in response to actual threats, but apparently more in an attempt to live up to the inspirational motto displayed at the TSA's air marshal training center since the agency's inception: "Dominate. Intimidate. Control."

The TSA's mission creep is making the US a police state | Jennifer Abel | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

The United States is turning into the U.S.S.R....

Yeah, all those $Trillions and lives lost fighting a Cold War, yet now we're becoming them. Western Europe and the U.S. are definitely headed in the wrong direction. The NWO Globalists are currently making significant progress. Can they be stopped? I don't know. I just don't know.

I think about how much it's already changed just from the time I was a kid and I'll be 30 years old tomorrow. My grandparents had a station wagon and one summer we all drove from Boston to Florida and I rode in the back of it the whole way. Now they'd have gotten pulled over and ticketed. Same thing with riding in the back of a pick up truck bed. Can't do that anymore. When I played little league we didn't get a trophy for participating. If you lost you felt like crap and were pissed so it was motivation to not lose next year. I remember in elementary school we would bring in cupcakes for the whole class on our birthdays. Can't do that anymore. I remember a kid once bringing in a BB gun for Show 'N Tell when I was like in the first grade. Now he'd be expelled. My father would travel a lot for his job and when we'd pick him up at the airport we'd actually meet him at the gate coming off the plane. Can't do that anymore.

All of this stuff may seem like little minor things in of themselves, but it all adds up over time. Gradually we're allowing the government to restrict our choices.

At least they managed to walk back the 55 MPH speed limit.

I think about how much it's already changed just from the time I was a kid and I'll be 30 years old tomorrow. My grandparents had a station wagon and one summer we all drove from Boston to Florida and I rode in the back of it the whole way. Now they'd have gotten pulled over and ticketed. Same thing with riding in the back of a pick up truck bed. Can't do that anymore. When I played little league we didn't get a trophy for participating. If you lost you felt like crap and were pissed so it was motivation to not lose next year. I remember in elementary school we would bring in cupcakes for the whole class on our birthdays. Can't do that anymore. I remember a kid once bringing in a BB gun for Show 'N Tell when I was like in the first grade. Now he'd be expelled. My father would travel a lot for his job and when we'd pick him up at the airport we'd actually meet him at the gate coming off the plane. Can't do that anymore.

All of this stuff may seem like little minor things in of themselves, but it all adds up over time. Gradually we're allowing the government to restrict our choices.

At least they managed to walk back the 55 MPH speed limit.

I hear ya. But i do think more & more Citizens are waking up. I think the fight has only just begun. I'm an optimist, so i truly believe that. Hang in there.

Forum List

Back