The truth. The whole truth. And nothing but the truth.

Feb 23, 2018
Hello there. The truth can be a beautiful thing, sometimes. But there are those who hate the truth. They hate it because it exposes them for what they are. I'm here to tell the truth. If I don't know the truth about something, I'll say so and try to find that truth. The truth is elusive. It requires much research, and even then it may be impossible to uncover. That's OK. It's the search for truth that really matters.

truth is hate speech.jpg

• Banned
Truth is a matter of perception. Facts, on the other hand, are not.

Mark
That makes no sense, since truth is based on facts. If I let go of an apple, it will fall to the ground. That is a universal truth based on facts.

Hello there. The truth can be a beautiful thing, sometimes. But there are those who hate the truth. They hate it because it exposes them for what they are. I'm here to tell the truth. If I don't know the truth about something, I'll say so and try to find that truth. The truth is elusive. It requires much research, and even then it may be impossible to uncover. That's OK. It's the search for truth that really matters.

Good luck.

Mark
That makes no sense, since truth is based on facts. If I let go of an apple, it will fall to the ground. That is a universal truth based on facts.

A truth is what you believe to be the truth. I believe that at the moment of conception that a human life is formed and to be protected. Those are my "truths". If others believe differently, are what they believe lies? Or are they their own set of truths?

Mark

Mark

A truth is what you believe to be the truth. I believe that at the moment of conception that a human life is formed and to be protected. Those are my "truths". If others believe differently, are what they believe lies? Or are they their own set of truths?

Mark
Let me guess. You believe in moral relativism. It doesn't matter what one believes. It doesn't change the truth. Something is either true or it isn't, as my example with the apple proves.

What is your personal definition of The Truth?

Get as specific as you'd like.

The truth is something that can be demonstrated to be true by irrefutable facts. Refer to my example of the apple and gravity. Not all truth is obvious, but that doesn't mean we should stop looking.

Mark

Mark
Let me guess. You believe in moral relativism. It doesn't matter what one believes. It doesn't change the truth. Something is either true or it isn't, as my example with the apple proves.

Nope. Facts are not changeable. But truth is in the eyes of the beholder.

Mark

The truth is something that can be demonstrated to be true by irrefutable facts. Refer to my example of the apple and gravity. Not all truth is obvious, but that doesn't mean we should stop looking.
If we're talking about science and empirical evidence, then I agree.

When used in a political context, however, The Truth usually means "slanted opinions I agree with".

So it does tend to be over-used, and I approach the term cynically.

Mark

Mark

Mark

The truth is in the facts. That eye of the beholder crap is ludicrous. Something is either true or it isn't.

If we're talking about science and empirical evidence, then I agree.

When used in a political context, however, The Truth usually means "slanted opinions I agree with".

So it does tend to be over-used, and I approach the term cynically.
That does not negate the fact that there is a political truth. Political policies either work or they don't. This can be determined by the effects of those policies. For instance, tax cuts have never caused a recession. That's a political fact.

Mark

Mark

Mark

The truth is in the facts. That eye of the beholder crap is ludicrous. Something is either true or it isn't.
Well, you'll fit right in here. Welcome Ugly

Mark

Mark

Well, you'll fit right in here. Welcome Ugly

It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it.

Mark

Mark

Mark

Nope . Something is a fact, or it isn't. You are narrowing the meaning of the word truth to fit your own definition.

Forgive me if I use the dictionary.

Truth: a fact or belief that is accepted as true.

Your definition is not in line with current acceptance.

Mark

Welcome, The Truth.

I, too, am essentially a newcomer.

I look forward to reading your posts since you promise to give us only the truth.

Just a gentle reminder, however: Sometimes the truth is so hurtful that it is better NOT to say it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back