The Truth of California History

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Did the friars enslave the California Indians?
Did the friars whip and beat the California Indians who were dragged to the missions?
Did an overwhelming number of Spanish soldiers keep the tens of thousands of savage California Indians at bay?

Learn the truth about these lies by reading The King's Highway, Book Two of Father Serra's Legacy by Dale Day [US Army Master Sergeant – Retired] available in paperback and e-book format at bluewoodpublishing.com

The missions were policed by the soldiers of the local presidio.

Yes, Indians were mistreated, not systematically, often.

MSG Day has it wrong if he is saying the Indios were well treated.

The missions were policed by the soldiers of the local presidio.

Yes, Indians were mistreated, not systematically, often.

MSG Day has it wrong if he is saying the Indios were well treated.

Well, you almost have it right.

Each mission had a squad of soldiers to protect the friars. They were made up of one corporal and four privates. It was quickly learned that the soldiers were best finding a local maiden to marry - easy as it was the female who accepted the male in their societies.

As for the "policed by the soldiers of the local presidio" one has to understand there were 21 missions and only 4 presidios! And all four presidios were seriously undermanned with the soldados de cuera stretched to the limit with sentry duty, courier runs, and general maintenance of the garrison.

Where do you get your information about the Indios being systematically mistreated?
My research showed me that the friars, first and foremost, looked at those Indians who came to the mission were their children and were treated as such. When one made a mistake, like any 18th century parent, they were punished - in public [which was worse than physical] told what they had done wrong and then spanked. Usually with a willow rod with every effort made NOT TO BRUISE and specifically no blood drawn. Some serious offenders were placed in a cell. All such punishments were reported to the mission president and further to the guardian of the apostolic college.

There is not a single case of any Indian punished at one of the 21 missions who sustained disabling wounds or died!!!!!

The Indians at the missions lived a thousand times better than those in the wild. They had three full meals per day and never went hungry. When contacting a disease - most of them already there before the arrival of the Spanish - the friars provided far better medical care than their local medicine men. And, the friars found and used herbal remedies the local curanderas often missed or misused.

I strongly suggest you check out the various posts on the blog and you will see more evidence of this. And, if you don't believe me, check out the History of California books by Hubert Howe Bancroft - like I have.

Forum List

Back