The truth is missing. . . .

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
This was called to my attention by a friend. How long will it be before our own government is also blocking certain search phrases from the internet? Or is it already doing that?

"Truth" appears to have vanished from the Chinese internet, after micro-bloggers discovered the word had been blocked on the country's leading social-media website.
Online messages began circulating earlier this week claiming that the Chinese characters for "the truth" could not be searched for on the Twitter-like micro-blog, Sina Weibo, which boasts nearly 300 million registered users.

Attempts to search Weibo for "the truth" on Thursday turned up the message: "According to relevant laws, regulations and policies, search results for 'the truth' cannot be displayed."
It is not known how long the term has been blocked or why but one internet-user said they had first noticed the truth was missing in late June. Sina Weibo did not respond to requests for information.
The 'truth' deleted from internet in China - Telegraph

Aw come on guysl. You have a gazillion other threads to bash TM. I want to talk about the internet and China. It is no secret that there is plenty of suspicion that the Chinese are committing all kinds of underhanded internet espionage and piracy and such, but the tactics they use to control what their own people see on the internet should also be of interest. Remember, it is tactics that could be used by elected authorities too.

they killed the truth, those bastards

They killed Kenny too!

You_Killed_Kenny.jpg

Aw come on guysl. You have a gazillion other threads to bash TM. I want to talk about the internet and China. It is no secret that there is plenty of suspicion that the Chinese are committing all kinds of underhanded internet espionage and piracy and such, but the tactics they use to control what their own people see on the internet should also be of interest. Remember, it is tactics that could be used by elected authorities too.

I didn't post to overtly mock TM.

That's just where my demented brain went when I saw the words "killed" and "bastards".

Now. That being said, it is truly sad to see the death of Truth, regardless of where it happened.

But, hey, let's let them sit in on the UN's Human Rights Committee
:thup:

That's just where my demented brain went when I saw the words "killed" and "bastards".

Now. That being said, it is truly sad to see the death of Truth, regardless of where it happened.

Um, China is already on the Human Rights Commission. But you probably knew that.

If there was ever a reason to realize what an empty, meaningless organization the U.N. has become, you just have to look at the membership on this year's Human Rights Commission:

Angola

Austria

Bangladesh

Belgium

Benin

Botswana

Burkina Faso

Cameroon

Chile

China

Congo

Costa Rica

Cuba

Czech Republic

Djibouti

Ecuador

Guatemala

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Italy

Jordan

Kuwait

Kyrgyzstan

Libya *

Malaysia

Maldives

Mauritania

Mauritius

Mexico

Nigeria

Norway

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Qatar

Republic of Moldova

Romania

Russian Federation

Saudi Arabia

Senegal

Spain

Switzerland

Thailand

Uganda

United States of America

Uruguay

Um, China is already on the Human Rights Commission. But you probably knew that.

If there was ever a reason to realize what an empty, meaningless organization the U.N. has become, you just have to look at the membership on this year's Human Rights Commission:

Angola

Austria

Bangladesh

Belgium

Benin

Botswana

Burkina Faso

Cameroon

Chile

China

Congo

Costa Rica

Cuba

Czech Republic

Djibouti

Ecuador

Guatemala

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Italy

Jordan

Kuwait

Kyrgyzstan

Libya *

Malaysia

Maldives

Mauritania

Mauritius

Mexico

Nigeria

Norway

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Qatar

Republic of Moldova

Romania

Russian Federation

Saudi Arabia

Senegal

Spain

Switzerland

Thailand

Uganda

United States of America

Uruguay

yea, my sarcasm failed......
:redface:

they are out in the open.

they can listen to people speak out in the open.

that doesnt scare me in the least

My opinion is that our government probably will not filter internet usage, however; I believe they already monitor search engines, message boards and social sites.

Now tell me which you think is worse.

I think they do too. And I think they manipulate them or persuade or pay private citizens or groups to do so.

I know for a fact they have people reading the larger message boards--Daily Kos, ThinkProgress, Hannity, Freepers, and probably USMB et al--to see how their assigned talking points are plaiying through cyberland. (The media monitors us too to determine what the news of the day should be.) I'm pretty sure they pay professional trolls to get onto message boards and disrupt the flow on various topics.

The manipulation part is frustrating but there are ways around that. The trolls are annoying but so obvious and predictable that most of us just scroll over them as much as possible. The monitoring part doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I welcome it because it is a way of being heard.

oh I am not scared truth, but it does concern me that george orwell may have been right, just off by a decade or two.

Here is an example;
The media reported yesterday that facebook monitors its chats and then gives this info to law enforcement if it looks suspicious. My favorite pasttime these days is to play a stupid game on facebook called crime inc. I spend lots of time on fb chat discussing which bank to rob, which truck to steall, which crew to kill off, who to put a bounty hit on, the kind of stuff you would expect from a mafia game.

now would it not be funny if the fbi showed up at my door because of this, with rico charges in hand? Sure, be hilarious because in reality I didn't do anything. One would assume the charges if any would go nowhere. However, suppose I had enemies at the fbi. What if they decided to use the chat transcripts, without disclosing the fact I was chatting while playing a mafia game.

Thats what is disturbing, what could happen if this monitoring system is abused by corruption or greed, which, given the human condition is bound to happen at some point.

Forum List

Back