the truth about universal background checks for guns.....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
And this blogger points out exactly why anti gunners want universal background checks that will do nothing to stop criminals and mass shooters from getting guns...

Universal Background Checks, And A Question

Since all firearm sales by licensed dealers are already legally required to go through an FBI background check, these new UBC laws are designed to encompass personal transfers…not just sales…of firearms between two law-abiding individuals. Most of these proposals include provisions which not only make it illegal for private citizens to sell firearms to each other, but also make it illegal to loan or gift firearms to each other unless a background check is performed on the recipient

Those of us who shoot regularly understand the burden that would impose. No more loaning a new shooter a gun for their concealed carry class. No more letting your buddy try out your new rifle at the range. No more giving your daughter a .22 for Christmas. At least not without first going to a federally licensed firearms dealer and conducting a background check first.

Not so fast there, Dad. Do a background check? Image courtesy of Oleg Volk.

But when I point out these sorts of problems created by proposed UBC laws, a common response I get is, “Well, that’s unenforceable. I wouldn’t worry about that.” And it is true that the enforcement problem created by criminalizing these personal transfers would be immense. More on that in a moment. But to get there, we have to ask this question:

Why would we want an unenforceable law? Why create laws which criminalize currently legal conduct, if we either cannot or will not enforce it? What would such a law accomplish?

It is true, of course. How could law enforcement possibly track and prosecute instances of personal sales, loans, and gifts of firearms? Without some sort ofrecord of who owns what guns, it would be all but impossible.

And there you have it. As with all gun control laws, proponents of the UBC view these laws as a “good first step.” They know that the law itself will accomplish little, other than to set the stage for future moves towards gun registration. So when one of them questions your opposition to UBCs, and points out the unenforceabilty of personal transfer provisions, ask them the question. Why do you want an unenforceable law?

Gave my granddaughter an early 21st birthday gift yesterday.

Let he shoot my handguns and let her take home the one she liked best.

I went through background checks for all my guns, never a problem. But some of us live our entire lives on the edge of Armageddon.

That's sweet.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

Son in law has carried a firearm for work since before she was born.

She knows all the do's and don'ts

That would teach her how to shoot?

She learned how to shoot about 9 years ago.

Father is NRA qualified instructor

That's sweet.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

I know the qualifications for an NRA instructor. Why don't you send her to somebody that knows what they're doing.

That's sweet.

I know the qualifications for an NRA instructor. Why don't you send her to somebody that knows what they're doing.

He does

He does

Sure. He bought a piece of paper.

My instructor, and the guy I qualify with every six months is retired Secret Service. Is he as good as mine? Don't you think that you should give your grand daughter the best possible education?

Is he retired Secret Service?

no

Is he as good as your guy?

Hard to say.

But, he is well qualified, (over and above his NRA qualifications), and has given, and will continue to give his daughter all she needs to know about firearms.

(are you going to whine about this all night?)

That's sweet.

Oh good...another survey that doesn't tell us if the homes where the shooting occurred had a criminal living in it, a drug addict or an alcoholic...and the reason they don't show this is because if they did, they would have to admit that the gun isn't the problem....

Last year, non gun suicides were more than gun suicides.....and with 90,000 homes with guns in them American gun owners are amazingly responsible.....considering how few gun murders there are vs. the number of guns in private hands...

And keep in mind...there were 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s.....there are now 357,000,000 guns in private hands in 2016...and our gun murder rate went down 49%.....so you are wrong and your study is wrong...

He does

My instructor, and the guy I qualify with every six months is retired Secret Service. Is he as good as mine? Don't you think that you should give your grand daughter the best possible education?

Guns are not that complicated....for a lefty gun grabber, they are really complicated........

He does

Guns are not that complicated....for a lefty gun grabber, they are really complicated........

No one wants your guns you poor thing.

That's sweet.

Oh good...another survey that doesn't tell us if the homes where the shooting occurred had a criminal living in it, a drug addict or an alcoholic...and the reason they don't show this is because if they did, they would have to admit that the gun isn't the problem....

Last year, non gun suicides were more than gun suicides.....and with 90,000 homes with guns in them American gun owners are amazingly responsible.....considering how few gun murders there are vs. the number of guns in private hands...

And keep in mind...there were 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s.....there are now 357,000,000 guns in private hands in 2016...and our gun murder rate went down 49%.....so you are wrong and your study is wrong...

You see a link, you run your mouth.

Forum List

Back