Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
I am going to sleep. Can't keep up with you creatures of the night. I will respond to anything tomorrow.:eusa_snooty:

i was genuinely asking, not trying to make fun of you. I know little about military titles. please enlighten me.

So you assumed that GySgt was short for Gay Sgt? And you assumed I was one of the people that hate or dislike Mormons?

You will find there are several posters on this board that have some very ignorant views of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Some are hateful of all religion and some claim to be Christians while claiming Mormons are NOT Christians.

If you had done just a small bit of searching you would have found that I am a retired GUNNERYSgt and that while not very active I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I joined in 1979 shortly before I joined the Marine Corps. I was baptized in Lacey Washington.

I do not attend services as I have certain medical problems. However the Missionaries visit now and again. The Ward is very bad at assigning home Teachers and the last Bishop that I knew was suggesting I just quit the Church cause I did not attend to his satisfaction.

One thing I admire about the Mormons is their ability to create a sense of community.

One thing I don't admire about that community is the obvious classism and nepotism that seems to dominate that community.

But given that pretty much every society and culture tends to become classist and nepotism is extremely common, I guess my complaint about the Mormons isn't all that much different than my complaints about this society generally.

Many people have died without receiving a valid baptism, and they cannot undergo this precious ritual as mere spirits. "Because all on the earth do not have the opportunity to accept the gospel during mortality, the Lord has authorized baptisms performed by proxy for the dead. Therefore, those who accept the gospel in the spirit world may qualify for entrance into God's kingdom" . One thing that should be made perfectly clear about Mormon baptisms for the dead is that each deceased soul has the personal choice to accept or reject it. There is nothing in Mormonism that states that the person who is being baptized by proxy must accept this ordinance; he or she is simply given the opportunity to choose.

Baptisms for the dead can only be performed in Mormon temples. Elder Mark E. Petersen explained this requirement: "Always a center of interest is the baptismal font. In each of the temples this font rests upon the backs of twelve stone or bronze oxen, following in this, as in other particulars, the pattern given by the Prophet Joseph Smith as he instituted temple building in his day under the direction of the Lord. Why is there a baptismal font in the temple? Cannot people be baptized anywhere? The living, yes. But the font in the temple is for vicarious baptisms performed in behalf of the dead.
Elder Petersen went on to explain what these passages teach us:

(1) Jesus was a Personage of both spirit and flesh, like all of us.

(2) When Jesus went to the realm of the dead, he was still himself, an individual, the humble "carpenter from Nazareth," although a spirit divested of his body of flesh and bones which had been crucified.

(3) The dead—even those who died in the flood—also were intelligent persons, still individuals, although spirits like Jesus himself.

(4) These dead were so much in possession of their reason and their faculties that they could hear the gospel like men in the flesh although they lived in a world of spirits, and they were alive and alert and could use discretion in accepting or rejecting the teachings of Christ.

(5) Jesus taught them the gospel, which was their opportunity for salvation.

(6) Having heard the gospel, they might accept it or reject it and thus be "judged according to men in the flesh." As they did accept it, they could then "live according to God in the spirit" just as the scripture indicated.

Mormons are therefore very zealous about collecting and submitting the names of their ancestors for this great, saving work. Baptism for the dead in Mormon temples gives those who would have embraced Christ and His Church the opportunity to do so after death. It is a wonderful gift granted by a merciful God.

Article on Mormon Baptism for the Dead

I have started this post because it still seems there are a lot of people out there that don't understand our religion. One thing I know I can do is clarify a lot misconceptions that people have.
I served a two year mission in South Africa, and I think I have pretty much heard it all. I actually would welcome some questions that I haven't heard before.
I know some of you aren't interested in what we really believe, but are only going to be interested in trying to trap me in my words, but that's ok. I welcome those attempts as well. Let's see what this develops into.:eusa_pray:
I am not sure how any organized religion or person can attempt to say they have all the answers in truth. The Lord said He would write his law into His peoples hearts and minds. To me that says His people already have the information within them and need only the Bible and the Holy Spirit within to confirm and discern that information.

On the other hand all churches have made some errors along the way in the quest for control over mankind. The only church fully approved that will overcome according to the Angel in Revelations is the church of Philadelphia.

It does little to convince an unbeliever to quote the Book Of Mormon or any documents from the Mormons, except to show what they are saying. When discussing with an unbeliever find common ground and work from there. Christians that are not Mormons believe in the Bible. Use the Bible to make the point.

Mormons have big families. I traveled through Utah and I've never seen such big picnic tables in my life!

You don't want to be born Mormon and gay.

I have started this post because it still seems there are a lot of people out there that don't understand our religion. One thing I know I can do is clarify a lot misconceptions that people have.
I served a two year mission in South Africa, and I think I have pretty much heard it all. I actually would welcome some questions that I haven't heard before.
I know some of you aren't interested in what we really believe, but are only going to be interested in trying to trap me in my words, but that's ok. I welcome those attempts as well. Let's see what this develops into.:eusa_pray:

Having been raised a mormon, it's just like any other messed up organized religion, just in different ways.

i have questions:

is it true that woman must be married to enter heaven?

is it true that mormons become "god like" upon there deaths in their heaven?

how accurate is "big love" on hbo about mormons?

o and i have noticed you really havent answered anyones questions..

why not explain the "blessed" undergarments?

So you assumed that GySgt was short for Gay Sgt? And you assumed I was one of the people that hate or dislike Mormons?

You will find there are several posters on this board that have some very ignorant views of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Some are hateful of all religion and some claim to be Christians while claiming Mormons are NOT Christians.

If you had done just a small bit of searching you would have found that I am a retired GUNNERYSgt and that while not very active I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I joined in 1979 shortly before I joined the Marine Corps. I was baptized in Lacey Washington.

I do not attend services as I have certain medical problems. However the Missionaries visit now and again. The Ward is very bad at assigning home Teachers and the last Bishop that I knew was suggesting I just quit the Church cause I did not attend to his satisfaction.

Well Sarge, nobody is perfect, I admitted that I don't know much about the military other than my brother just went to the army. I am sorry if I offended you. I am glad you are not gay in fact.
I am also sorry to hear the bishop would say anything like that to you. I haven't heard of a bishop who would say something like "you should just quit" before, but hey, it's a big world out there. If he did he was way out of line and his leaders would chastise him if they knew about it.

One thing I admire about the Mormons is their ability to create a sense of community.

One thing I don't admire about that community is the obvious classism and nepotism that seems to dominate that community.

But given that pretty much every society and culture tends to become classist and nepotism is extremely common, I guess my complaint about the Mormons isn't all that much different than my complaints about this society generally.

You are right. Our religion doesn't teach people to exclude, it teaches to include and invite everyone to partake of it's gospel. Individuals may form cliques or whatever but they are sinning if they do.

everything

Well because of the sacred nature of the undergarments which you call "Magic Undies", I won't be able to tell you everything. I have made promises not to discuss them in detail. What I will say however in a nutshell is that they are a symbol and a reminder to us daily to keep the commandments of God, it's just that they are worn out of sight, rather than displayed out in the open like in other religions, who were their religious symbols on their heads, around their necks or on their whole body.
That will have to suffice.

Another question. To whom do you owe allegiance, the Mormon church or the US government in those issues that conflict?

What is the scriptural basis for baptising the dead?

Impressive post by cloe, but the scripture in question is 1 Peter verse 4 which states "for for this cause was the gospel preached to them that are dead, that they might be judged according God in the flesh but live according to God in the spirit."

I hope that was accurate from my memory

I am not sure how any organized religion or person can attempt to say they have all the answers in truth. The Lord said He would write his law into His peoples hearts and minds. To me that says His people already have the information within them and need only the Bible and the Holy Spirit within to confirm and discern that information.

On the other hand all churches have made some errors along the way in the quest for control over mankind. The only church fully approved that will overcome according to the Angel in Revelations is the church of Philadelphia.

I will say that is quite an interpretation of the scriptures but that is not the issue of the forum, to take away your opinion. You are totally entitled. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I feel the church has provided me with all the answers to questions I need to know.
I agree that the Spirit, if one is truly worthy to be governed by it, will verify the truth of a teaching to a person.
The church of Philadelphia is the way, the truth and the life? Ok, you are entitled to your opinion.

New Topics

Forum List

Back