The truth about Buddhism

Yet again, you don't understand what you're talking about.

God is ONE, and therefore we can ALL be one. What the fuck do you think enlighenment is about? Jews refer to it in the Torah, when they tell you that enlightenment is part of the Shkina, which is God Himself revealing to you a small part of the puzzle.

The question is, what do you do with it once you've attained it?
It was a joke ABikerSailor!! Really it was a joke!!

Read it again. Maybe you will understand the humor of it. :eusa_angel:

It was a joke ABikerSailor!! Really it was a joke!!

Read it again. Maybe you will understand the humor of it. :eusa_angel:

I like jokes. How about a few more Buddhist ones?

Here's one:

Fred: "Why must we bow at the end of a meditation period?"

Ho Chi Zen: "To thank God it's over."

Last edited by a moderator:
Four monks decided to meditate silently without speaking for two weeks. By nightfall on the first day, the candle began to flicker and then went out. The first monk said, "Oh, no! The candle is out." The second monk said, "Aren't we not suppose to talk?" The third monk said, "Why must you two break the silence?" The fourth monk laughed and said, "Ha! I'm the only one who didn't speak."

At a ballpark a Buddhist approaches a hot dog vendor, he asks, "Do you have vegetarian dogs?"

"Of course!" answers the hot dog vendor.

The Buddhist says, "Please, make me one with everything!"

Q: What happens when a Buddhist becomes totally absorbed with the computer he is working with?

A: He enters Nerdvana.

Q: Why are there so few Buddhist rhythm and blues bands?

A: Because Buddhists don't have any soul.

How does reincarnation work? Also do all buddhists believe in reincarnation and karma? If you have a bad life is it because you were a bad person in your past life?

How does reincarnation work? Also do all buddhists believe in reincarnation and karma? If you have a bad life is it because you were a bad person in your past life?

Hi chloe-

All Buddhists have teachings on karma. Rebirth or reincarnation teachings differ by school and lineage.

If you are having a 'bad life' it is not necessarily because 'you were a bad person in a past life'. All humans have a mix of positive and negative karma. Sometimes, it can be that your merit is strong enough that you are able to purify negativity by experiencing it in a present life and applying meditation practice and patience to the adversities.

I think you also have to look at what you mean when you say a 'bad life'. Someone may have very unfortunate outer circumstances but they may use those circumstances to really grow spiritually. Then can you say this person has had a 'bad life'? Not really.

A bad life for a Buddhist would be being born without any interest or opportunity to practice the dharma. That may include being born in a kind of god realm--where everything for worldly happiness is present, good looks, money, fame, family, lovers etc etc. For a Buddhist, this may be a 'bad life' because it may cause him or her to just 'hang out' in luxury and have no motivation to apply ones mind and heart to meditation.

As to past lives, it is not necessary to focus on remembering all your past lives. Buddhists have a vast view of the universe and the myriad of lifetimes. It is said that each and every sentient being on the planet has a one time been as close to you as your own parent or child.

Karma is a deep teaching in Buddhism. Karma also popularly has some meanings that are not consistent with Buddhists teachings as I have received them from my teachers.

At the same time, Buddhism has teachings that are deeper than the teachings of karma and rebirth. Those teachings are on the nature of mind itself--which puts these 'lifetimes' in a completely broader context. We call that 'view'.

All the great masters of Buddhism say "My view is as high as the sky, my conduct is as refined as a grain of sand". So we hold these two teachings, and we resolve any contradictions in them through meditation.

ok so if I was born to a really psychotic parent then are we living out karma? What if I cut him out of my life for a long time because I can't deal with his disturbance will I have to deal with him again in my next life?

ok so if I was born to a really psychotic parent then are we living out karma? What if I cut him out of my life for a long time because I can't deal with his disturbance will I have to deal with him again in my next life?

Great question. Everything related to karma in Buddhism depends on the motivation.

If you cut your father off because he is psychotic, and you cannot help him, and it only disturbs you and your children then there is no harm in severing the connection. Why? Because there is no benefit to him to stay in touch with you, and no benefit to you to have contact with him.

Sometimes pulling back from relatives is the best thing--especially if it allows your heart to open to the suffering of people with mental illness. Maybe you are unable to stay healthy yourself and help your father. Then if you pull back far enough, you may find you think of him and people like him more kindly. Maybe there are other people, not relatives that you are already helpful to. It seems I remember you being very kind to a troubled friend. That may be the best you can do for this lifetime.

Now, that said, it doesn't mean you will meet your father again. It's possible the consciousness that is in your father will reincarnate in a lifetime that you also are in, but he may come back be your treasured pet next lifetime. Rebirth does not occur predictably unless you are a highly realized enlightened being. Then, there is choice.

At least, according to teachings I have recieved.

All of these mutterings and musings are, in a way, merely conventional teachings. If is useful to you to think of your situation in this way, then this may help.

It still comes back to you. What works for you, how you work with your mind and heart, and what will be the greatest benefit to all.

My father, and mother were mentally ill. Both are deceased now.

thats good news because I quit all drinking and drugs after I got away from the psycho. he was really violent and crazy .....

There you have the confirmation that it was the right thing to do. You are healthier with your father out of your life.

Really? I would reccommend a good store of seeds, a good source of water, and working cooperation with the people arround you. You have to sleep sometime.

My emphasis was on liberty. Buddhists are easy to defeat because they are pacifists. That's fine to a point.

Pacifism and passivism are not the same.

do buddhists believe in ghosts or psychic phenomena?

Hmm. The Tibetans tell some great zombie stories. Considering that Buddhists expect phenomena to arise in meditation, then I would say that some Buddhists experience psychic phenomena.

Tibetan Buddhists teach of a 'hungry ghost realm' as a place that one may be reborn in. It is the consequence of greed. One wanders and cannot be satisfied until the karma for birth in that realm has been exhausted.

Chloe asked me a question on another thread about what is the 'hungry ghost realm' in Buddhism.

Buddhism teaches that the consequences of unpurified poisons of the mind; ignorance, desire, jealous, pride and anger lead to rebirth in one of the corresponding realms of existence.

Desire or greed leads to an existence in a life consumed by want that can not be fulfilled. It's as though you are constantly hungry, and there is food all around, but you cannot eat it, because your throat is tiny. It's a metaphor for a mind continously distracted by unfullfillment, and it is considered a consequence of greed.

Greed can be purified, and the hungry ghost realm is temporary. Once you have purified the karma then you are reborn in another realm.

My emphasis was on liberty. Buddhists are easy to defeat because they are pacifists. That's fine to a point.

However, Bhuddists do have the respect of many who would stand up to fight in their defense as well. Many pagans would lay down our lives to protect their rights because they are pacifists, and believe me, many of us know how to fight as well as anyone else we just pick our battles better.

Forum List

Back