The Trouble with Lawyers and Words

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I hated it when I was in law school, I hated it when I was a corporate lawyer, I hate it when I deal with lawyers outside of my profession. Lawyers universally believe that if you have something that can be said in a hundred words but you have a million word limit, use the million words.

The Senate "Trial" of the Century is an exhibition of this insanity to an extent that is almost unbelievable.

Consider that the true AUDIENCE for these presentations is the people who are watching on television. The Senators have already made up their minds, no question about it. The PURPOSE and the HOPE is that some of the people watching on television will call their Senator and plead with them to vote differently than they are expected to vote. That's it. It is a vain hope, but there it is.

So who [the fuck] told these Democrats that repeating the same lame message over and over and over for twenty-four fucking hours would be EFFECTIVE? It ANTAGONIZES the intended audience! If they had three or four Reps speaking for 15-20 minutes each, all making coherent, easily-understandable pitches, it would have had immeasurably more influence on the viewing audience. A normal, non-retired person would have been able to see the whole shooting match. They way they did it, that was impossible.

I have no doubt that the Republican presentation will be almost as bad (but not quite as long).

Seriously, what is the point of 24 hours to mush to make a 45 minute presentation?

I hated it when I was in law school, I hated it when I was a corporate lawyer, I hate it when I deal with lawyers outside of my profession. Lawyers universally believe that if you have something that can be said in a hundred words but you have a million word limit, use the million words.

The Senate "Trial" of the Century is an exhibition of this insanity to an extent that is almost unbelievable.

Consider that the true AUDIENCE for these presentations is the people who are watching on television. The Senators have already made up their minds, no question about it. The PURPOSE and the HOPE is that some of the people watching on television will call their Senator and plead with them to vote differently than they are expected to vote. That's it. It is a vain hope, but there it is.

So who [the fuck] told these Democrats that repeating the same lame message over and over and over for twenty-four fucking hours would be EFFECTIVE? It ANTAGONIZES the intended audience! If they had three or four Reps speaking for 15-20 minutes each, all making coherent, easily-understandable pitches, it would have had immeasurably more influence on the viewing audience. A normal, non-retired person would have been able to see the whole shooting match. They way they did it, that was impossible.

I have no doubt that the Republican presentation will be almost as bad (but not quite as long).

Seriously, what is the point of 24 hours to mush to make a 45 minute presentation?
The BIGGEST trouble we have with lawyers is there are FAR too many of them these days.

How to spot a sociopath - 10 red flags that could save you from being swept under the influence of a charismatic nut job
#4) Sociopaths invent outrageous lies about their experiences. They wildly exaggerate things to the point of absurdity, but when they describe it to you in a storytelling format, for some reason it sounds believable at the time.
#8) Sociopaths speak poetically. They are master wordsmiths, able to deliver a running "stream of consciousness" monologue that is both intriguing and hypnotic. They are expert storytellers and even poets.
#10) Sociopaths are delusional and literally believe that what they say becomes truth merely because they say it!

Forum List

Back