The Trashing of Christ and Christianity

Dr Grump said:
No it is not. Trashing is being abusive and patronising with regard to somebody's beliefs. Offering an alternative theory is not trashing. It is offering an alternative theory - nothing more, nothing less.

It's trashing. You can call it a more abstract term if you wish, if that's your preferred method of self-delusion.

The premise of the article you posted is that networks covered the DaVinci code the way they did because it "trashes Christianity". The crux of my post is that this is pure bullshit, which it is. The networks covered it the same way they covered Ray, the same way they covered Cars, the same way they covered Titanic, etc. etc. etc. It was covered as a hollywood blockbuster, rarely was mention made of the specific content of the story except as part of the usual "trailer". This article is religion-mongering at its worst.

acludem

acludem said:
The premise of the article you posted is that networks covered the DaVinci code the way they did because it "trashes Christianity". The crux of my post is that this is pure bullshit, which it is. The networks covered it the same way they covered Ray, the same way they covered Cars, the same way they covered Titanic, etc. etc. etc. It was covered as a hollywood blockbuster, rarely was mention made of the specific content of the story except as part of the usual "trailer". This article is religion-mongering at its worst.

acludem

Then why did they cover it better and with fewer criticisms that other blockbusters, and why did they do nothing but trash more successful movies, such as "National Treasure" and "The Passion of the Christ." If you think the media impartially covers...anything, you're delusional.

acludem said:

acludem

It's not bs. The liberals who run the media pushed it hard, doing little segments presenting it as a partial documentary portraying "intriguing theories".

My recollection is that neither Passion nor National Treasure was trashed. Passion got a ton of news coverage both positive and negative. I only vaguely remember coverage of National Treasure, I don't think it was that big a hit.

acludem

Hobbit said:
Then why did they cover it better and with fewer criticisms that other blockbusters, and why did they do nothing but trash more successful movies, such as "National Treasure" and "The Passion of the Christ." If you think the media impartially covers...anything, you're delusional.

National Treasure didn't do so hot, though we really enjoyed it. (My son loved it, actually)... I think, though, that Da Vinci Code got about the same coverage of any other bestselling book which is made into a blockbuster movie, with hugely bankable lead actor and director. In fact, it got more negative press than any such movie I can think of BECAUSE of the fuss made about it.

I'm just wondering, in deciding what the book/movie are about, did you read the book or see the movie?

jillian said:
I'm just wondering, in deciding what the book/movie are about, did you read the book or see the movie?

I don't know to whom you're addressing your question, but I read the book when it was just released some years back. It was clear to me that it was a work of fiction, and I was amazed that the libs started having all these big discussions about the possibility that the substance of the book could really be true. Of course, the libs have this "right-wing conspiracy" mentality about everything, so it was only a matter of time before they hit on the Bible as another conspiracy theory.

Since "The Passion of the Christ" was such a blockbuster at the box office, of course the libs wanted "their" movie to do just as well. The posted article was the author's view of their hype and why he thought "The DaVinci Code" did so well at the box office. I'm assuming his chosen title for the article "The Trashing of the Christ" was his personal opinion of "The DaVinci Code."

No, I did not see the move, and do not plan to.

The Da Vinci Code got hype because Steven Spielberg directed it and Tom Hanks was the star, not because of your fantasies about a liberal anti-Christian conspiracy. Da Vinci code did spark discussion, but what's wrong with that? Are you really that afraid of an academic discussion of the bible? The Passion of the Christ also sparked discussion. You didn't hear liberals complaining about it, except that some Jews were afraid that the film might spark anti-semitism. I didin' agree with them, but they had a right to their concerns. Da Vinci code cast doubt on some Christian stories, but not on the teachings of the religion from a moral values standpoint. Those values appear in every major world religion in one form or another.

acludem

acludem said:
The Da Vinci Code got hype because Steven Spielberg directed it and Tom Hanks was the star, not because of your fantasies about a liberal anti-Christian conspiracy. Da Vinci code did spark discussion, but what's wrong with that? Are you really that afraid of an academic discussion of the bible? The Passion of the Christ also sparked discussion. You didn't hear liberals complaining about it, except that some Jews were afraid that the film might spark anti-semitism. I didin' agree with them, but they had a right to their concerns. Da Vinci code cast doubt on some Christian stories, but not on the teachings of the religion from a moral values standpoint. Those values appear in every major world religion in one form or another.

acludem

The Da Vinci Code got hype because the guy who originally wrote the book (lots of hype before there ever was a movie) claimed all the conspiracy stuff was true. The Da Vinci Code sparked a discussion, true, but with all the moral relativism people stuck into it, the discussions usually ended in the person believing the lie saying, "Well, that may be true for you, but it isn't true for me." It also got people referred to supposedly factual books about the 'cover-up' involving Mary Magdeline, the gnostic gospels, and the Gospel of Judas, all of which have no basis in fact.

And I seem to remember not being able to turn on the TV or pick up a newspaper without seeing some commentator talking about either how violent The Passion was or how anti-semitic it was.

For the record, I read the book. The writing was mediocre, about the same level as Dean Koontz and the Left Behind series, and the 'mystery' was both far-fetched and a little too easy to solve. I had their first problem solves (the naked guy in the circle) several pages before the main characters.

acludem said:
The Da Vinci Code got hype because Steven Spielberg directed it and Tom Hanks was the star, not because of your fantasies about a liberal anti-Christian conspiracy.

I am sure the above figured into the picture for those who went to see the movie just for entertainment (the non-political crowd). But your pretending that The DaVinci Code’s intention was not to trash Christianity is not surprising at all. Pretense and denial of their aims are weapons in the liberals' arsenal frequently used.

Da Vinci code did spark discussion, but what's wrong with that? Are you really that afraid of an academic discussion of the bible?

There is nothing wrong with having a discussion as long as one understands that The Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction. When people begin to think that what Dan Brown has written is the truth, then their complete ignorance of Christ and Christianity is evident. When one reads The Da Vinci Code, it is clear that Dan Brown has never read the Bible and has little understanding of what it contains. I suspect that his knowledge is fragmentary, along with the entire liberal crowd.

The Bible is overflowing with great eternal truth, but you have to read it to appreciate that. And just one reading will not do the trick. It has to be read and re-read, along with taking Bible classes and participating in Bible study groups--the same procedure you have to follow to get an education on any topic or discipline. But it is understandable that might be too much work and effort for a liberal. It’s much easier trashing something they do not understand--or even care to understand.

Hobbit said:
Well, that's a really intelligent response. You state something wild and outlandish. When asked to prove it, you say, "Oh, I don't have to. It proves itself." Apparantly, it doesn't. So why don't you enlighten us?

Pat Robertson suggesting Venezuela's president chould be assassinated...self-avowed GOP Christian luminaries like Ralph Reed and Grover Norquist laundering money for Jack Abramoff...James Dobson's outing of Sponge-Bob Squarepants and Patrick is right up there with Jerry Falwell's outing of Tinky-Winky. And, of course, you have the televangelists like Rod Parsley, James Haggee, Bob Larson, Ernest Angely and their cults of personality who seem to have forgotten Mark 10:25 - "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Also for your consideration:

<blockquote> <i>"Christianity…(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man."</i> - Thomas Jefferson.

<i>"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)"</i> - Thomas Paine.

<i>"The Christian church has set up a religion of pomp and revenue in pretended imitation of a person (Jesus) who lived a life of poverty."</i> - Thomas Paine.

<i>"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."</i> - James Madison.</blockquote>

<i>La plus ce changez, la plus ce même chose!</i>

Bullypulpit said:
Also for your consideration:

<blockquote> <i>"Christianity…(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man."</i> - Thomas Jefferson.

<i>"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)"</i> - Thomas Paine.

<i>"The Christian church has set up a religion of pomp and revenue in pretended imitation of a person (Jesus) who lived a life of poverty."</i> - Thomas Paine.

<i>"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."</i> - James Madison.</blockquote>

<i>La plus ce changez, la plus ce même chose!</i>

Paine and Jefferson were Deists, so I'm not at all surprised to see their attacks on the Bible and the Christian Church in general.

Mis cela dans votre pipe et fumez-la !
:D

Forum List

Back