The tragedy of religious conservatism

wade said:
You are saying that the Catholics are not part of Christianity?

I am saying nobody can assume a measure of power, and abuse that power, if they know Christ. Nobody who knows Christ can amass or accept authority over other believers; There are pastors and priests - sure, but their job is to instruct, and they are still liable to those standards they preach; same as anyone else.

Catholics? As a group? God knows their hearts. Catholicism? Not of Christ.

-=d=- said:
I am saying nobody can assume a measure of power, and abuse that power, if they know Christ. Nobody who knows Christ can amass or accept authority over other believers; There are pastors and priests - sure, but their job is to instruct, and they are still liable to those standards they preach; same as anyone else.

There's going to be an awful lot of Catholics disappointed to learn they are not Christians!

I am not sure what you mean by your last statement that Catholics are "not of Christ"

CSM said:
There's going to be an awful lot of Catholics disappointed to learn they are not Christians!

I am not sure what you mean by your last statement that Catholics are "not of Christ"

I wrote "Catholicism" - not Catholics. I've met 'saved' (for lack of a better term) Catholics; however the 'religious' practices/traditions of Catholicism are not Christ-imspired. Both Christ AND his mother, Mary, would likely be in FITS to know people are praying to her. And to accept any word from the Pope's mouth is equal to those spoken by the likes of Paul, or even Christ himself?

Not 'christian'...in the truest sense.

-=d=- said:
I wrote "Catholicism" - not Catholics. I've met 'saved' (for lack of a better term) Catholics; however the 'religious' practices/traditions of Catholicism are not Christ-imspired. Both Christ AND his mother, Mary, would likely be in FITS to know people are praying to her. And to accept any word from the Pope's mouth is equal to those spoken by the likes of Paul, or even Christ himself?

Not 'christian'...in the truest sense.

Interesting point of view, but I am betting that there are many Catholics who would argue the whole thing with you; I am not one of them.

-=d=- said:

Who are you to say to the Catholics that they are not Chirstians? They certianly think they are!

Just which branches of the Christian faith are true and which are false?

wade said:
Who are you to say to the Catholics that they are not Chirstians? They certianly think they are!

Just which branches of the Christian faith are true and which are false?

It's not 'me'...it's the Bible. By definition a Christian is one who follows/believes in Christ and what he taught. For one to go against the Bible, and what Christ says, means by default they are not christians. It's not -=d=- calling a spade, a spade. It's -=d=- citing what the Bible tells us. The Bible does NOT instruct us to pray to Mary. The Bible does NOT instruct us 'earn' forgiveness thru penance. The Bible does NOT place a Pope on equal footing with Christ.

There are people who follow what Christ teaches - They are Christians. There are others who Take what Chrsit teaches and changes it to suit their needs. They are 'not'.

-=d=- said:
It's not 'me'...it's the Bible. By definition a Christian is one who follows/believes in Christ and what he taught. For one to go against the Bible, and what Christ says, means by default they are not christians. It's not -=d=- calling a spade, a spade. It's -=d=- citing what the Bible tells us. The Bible does NOT instruct us to pray to Mary. The Bible does NOT instruct us 'earn' forgiveness thru penance. The Bible does NOT place a Pope on equal footing with Christ.

There are people who follow what Christ teaches - They are Christians. There are others who Take what Chrsit teaches and changes it to suit their needs. They are 'not'.

Ahh, but don't you see you are proving the point. Any religion can be perverted over time into whatever form its leadership desires. Therefore, large, powerful, organized religion is inherantly dangerous.

Religion should be kept at the community level, where it is not able to gather the concentration of power necessary to be truly dangerous, but can still provide the positive social aspects that it can offer.

Wade.

wade said:
Ahh, but don't you see you are proving the point. Any religion can be perverted over time into whatever form its leadership desires. Therefore, large, powerful, organized religion is inherantly dangerous.

Religion should be kept at the community level, where it is not able to gather the concentration of power necessary to be truly dangerous, but can still provide the positive social aspects that it can offer.

Wade.

-=d=- never said that the Catholic Church is "dangerous." He said that its tenets do not always line up with Biblical Christianity. Two totally different things.

wade said:

Wade.

I never said that the Catholic Church is "dangerous." I said that its tenets do not always line up with Biblical Christianity. Two totally different things.

-=d=- said:
I never said that the Catholic Church is "dangerous." I said that its tenets do not always line up with Biblical Christianity. Two totally different things.

No, I say the Catholic church is dangerous! It has proven this many times in the past.

Wade.

Sure the catholic church has proved itself to be dangerous, as has almost every other major religion in history. Whats your point? Or was that your point? Whatever.

-=d=- said:

Yet, look at the charlatans who prance across the TV screen every day of the week proclaiming that they know Christ. They are not ministers of the word of Christ, they are nothing but the leaders of their own cults of personality, twisting religion to suit their own personal ends.

Forum List

Back