The Tom DeLay Allegations

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Do any of you Texans who participate on this board have any new information re the allegations against Tom DeLay? The following article appeared in our newspaper today. Bode is a liberal columnist, so is this just politics being played out or is there truth in these allegations?

It sounds Like Tom DeLay Really Needs Those Prayers
By Ken Bode for The Indianapolis Star
March 18, 2005

Pray for Tom DeLay. This is not my advice. This is an urgent alert issued on the Internet with the headline: "Rep. Tom DeLay Under Fire, Christian Statesman Targeted."

It is possible that DeLay needs your prayers because the GOP House majority leader is indeed taking incoming fire these days. It happens that this high-ranking lawmaker has a persistent problem with ethics. Three times in the last year he has been admonished for official misconduct. Then there is the long-running investigation back home in Texas that threatens DeLay with a criminal felony indictment for skirting the laws regulating campaign finance.

Let's step back a second. The owner of a pest control company, DeLay hated the Environmental Protection Agency, so he decided to go into politics. After six years in the Texas legislature, he was elected to Congress in 1984 and rose quickly in the GOP's minority ranks, joining the leadership when Newt Gingrich won the speakership.

DeLay, who is known as "The Hammer," has fashioned his political career on the Machiavellian principle that it is better to be feared than loved. As his power grew, so did his determination to build a permanent Republican majority in Washington. Nothing wrong with any of that.

However, DeLay's problem is not uncommon in Washington. As power grows so does the notion that legal and ethical constraints are meant for others. The Chicago Democrat Dan Rostenkowski spent a little time in a minimum-security federal prison for acting on that idea.

for full story
http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/230003-3043.021.html

Delay appears to have violated texas state campaign laws. I hope that he's soon indicted and is removed from the political scene so he causes no further damage.

"appears to have violated texas state campaign laws" doesn't mean that it's true. This could just be Texas "Gotcha!" politicians playing their game.

Adam's Apple said:
"appears to have violated texas state campaign laws" doesn't mean that it's true. This could just be Texas "Gotcha!" politicians playing their game.
could be, but if an honest look at the prosecuter shows that he's gone after more dems than he has republicans, one would see that the 'crackpot' prosecuter remarks are only said to deflect a possible indictment.

Can you direct me to some articles on this topic that do not contain the words "alleged", "suspected", "charged", "appear to be", etc.? I would just like to find the other side of this story.

other side of the campaign finance law violation? or tom delay in general?

The allegations have been made against DeLay. Now I am interested in knowing what the truth is. I thought perhaps there was more information in the Texas newspapers and on radio and TV newscasts in the state than had been made available to the general public through the mainstream media (that group, you know, that picks and chooses what it wants to report).

Adam's Apple said:
The allegations have been made against DeLay. Now I am interested in knowing what the truth is. I thought perhaps there was more information in the Texas newspapers and on radio and TV newscasts in the state than had been made available to the general public through the mainstream media (that group, you know, that picks and chooses what it wants to report).
As I understand it, the allegations point to delay because of some emails that seem to specifically state that he was being informed of where monies were headed for candidates. The investigation is still ongoing as far as that goes. So far, its only allegations that he knew about it, not that he specifically directed it, but texas law still prohibits that since it's a PAC he created.

Adam's Apple said:

Whatever DeLay may or may not have done in Texas, he is the motive force behind the federal government's shameless and unethical interference in the Terri Schiavo case. This grotesque meddling and power grabbing by the federal government endangers many of our rights.

It is time that we put schemers like DeLay out in the street. He may be a Republican, but he's damn sure no conservative.

http://www.theempirejournal.com/0318051_congressional_probe_call.htm

Congressional Probe Called As Schiavo Death Deadline Looms

By The Empire Journal

In an extraordinary move just hours before the court-imposed death order of Terri Schindler-Schiavo is to take effect, a Congressional investigation into the case has been opened and members of Congress were asking a U.S. Attorney in Washington for a temporary restraining order to be issued by a federal judge that would stop the feeding tube from being removed at 1 p.m. today (Friday) from the disabled woman.

“We will issue a subpoena which will require hospice administrators and attending physicians to preserve nutrition and hydration for Terri Schiavo to allow Congress to fully understand the procedures and practices that are currently keeping her alive” Hosue Speaker Dennis Hastert, Majority Leader Tom DeLay and Government Reform Committee Chairman Tom Davis said in a statement.

This pack of hacks opened an investigation simply to circumvent the ruling of the Florida judge. Their specious "investigation" was hatched because so long as Terri is under subpoena she cannot be allowed to die.

This has become a bizarre circus and Delay and the other hacks need to pay for their meddling in the next election.

I think the government jumped into the Schiavo case reluctantly and in response to thousands of e-mails, letters, and telephone calls asking them to do something to save Terri Schiavo from an unjust death. DeLay probably already has his plate full without this additional pressure to get involved in what should have been handled at the state level.

It's just too bad that Washington has to get involved, but if state courts and judges make decisions that the people do not agree with, then the people are going to seek help from Washington as a last resort.

We've been down this road before, smarter. What it all boils down to is that your presumption of guilt is based on allegation, not proven fact.

This of course is a check mark in the negative column for your earning MY vote.

Adam's Apple said:
It's just too bad that Washington has to get involved, but if state courts and judges make decisions that the people do not agree with, then the people are going to seek help from Washington as a last resort.

Washington did not have to get involved. They did so voluntarily. And in so doing, they have set a dangerous and undesirable precedent of federal government meddling in personal affairs.

What I fail to understand is why you support such intrusive action by politicians into the personal lives of a family and why you applaud the usurpation of not only state's rights, but the judicial process as well.

Your philosophy of uninvolved people seeking redress of a court's decision through government is a dangerous erosion of the equality of one of the three branches of government. If we are to assume that this is the wave of the future, then why not do away with the court system entirely and simply put the program on TV and let people vote in a verdict?

Merlin1047 said:
Washington did not have to get involved. They did so voluntarily. And in so doing, they have set a dangerous and undesirable precedent of federal government meddling in personal affairs.

What I fail to understand is why you support such intrusive action by politicians into the personal lives of a family and why you applaud the usurpation of not only state's rights, but the judicial process as well.

Your philosophy of uninvolved people seeking redress of a court's decision through government is a dangerous erosion of the equality of one of the three branches of government. If we are to assume that this is the wave of the future, then why not do away with the court system entirely and simply put the program on TV and let people vote in a verdict?

1. The federal government did not have to get involved, as you say, but I think they thought it best to respond to the demands of the people that they to do somthing to save this unfortunate woman's life.

2. Under normal circumstances, I do not support government action into personal lives, nor do I applaud usurpation of states' rights; but in extreme cases such as this, when all else has failed, I think the federal government should step in to save a life. If Terri were my sister, I would be in Washington knocking on every Congressman's door if this was the last recourse open to me to save her life.

3. I usually agree with your thinking on issues, Merlin, but on this matter, we just see things totally different. I feel that the Florida courts and judges have failed Terri Schiavo. I am also very suspicious of Michael Schiavo's motives. So I guess it is best that we just agree to disagree.

Adam's Apple said:
1. The federal government did not have to get involved, as you say, but I think they thought it best to respond to the demands of the people that they to do somthing to save this unfortunate woman's life.
I thought the reason that we had representatives was to make sure that overwhelming emotion didn't overrule commonsense though. maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

Adam's Apple said:
2. Under normal circumstances, I do not support government action into personal lives, nor do I applaud usurpation of states' rights; but in extreme cases such as this, when all else has failed, I think the federal government should step in to save a life. If Terri were my sister, I would be in Washington knocking on every Congressman's door if this was the last recourse open to me to save her life.
can you put yourself in the husbands place and think the same?

Adam's Apple said:
1. The federal government did not have to get involved, as you say, but I think they thought it best to respond to the demands of the people that they to do something to save this unfortunate woman's life.

But that's exactly my point. The legislative branch of the fed had no right to insinuate themselves into this process.

There are shades of grey on a great many things, but when it comes to the basic structure of our government, you either have to let it work as designed, or you open an unending can of worms.

Let's say that a convicted murderer has political connections in DC. A week before he is scheduled to die, his politician buddy opens an "investigation" and subpoenaes him as a witness. Naturally, the "investigation" is open-ended, thus delaying the execution of this criminal indefinitely. Now that is exactly what is happening here in the Schiavo case. Only difference is, instead of a reprehensible scum, we have a helpless woman who is certainly worthy of our sympathy and compassion. But if you consider the effect of legislative meddling and leave out the particulars of the individuals involved, now would you support such underhanded action by the House?

This was a matter for the courts - the Judicial branch of government - and it is extremely inappropriate and sets a dangerous precedent for legislators to involve themselves as they have. If they want to save Terri Schiavo, the only honest way would be for them to pass a law making it illegal to allow all people in her condition and situation to die. That is within the purview of the legislative branch. The dishonest and disreputable way DeLay and his cronies have gone about this endangers the very foundations of our government.

Adam's Apple said:

Adam, you can't pick and choose your way through the Constitution. Either you accept it, or you amend it, but you can't say that you support it's requirements except when it does not suit you to do so. There are a great many things about our court system which light my fire. But the way to change them is by passing laws which regulate the operation of the courts while maintaining the framework of the Constitution. The way which DeLay and the House interfered in this case show that they either lack respect for or an understanding of the Constitution.

Adam's Apple said:
3. I usually agree with your thinking on issues, Merlin, but on this matter, we just see things totally different. I feel that the Florida courts and judges have failed Terri Schiavo. I am also very suspicious of Michael Schiavo's motives. So I guess it is best that we just agree to disagree.

LOL - DAMN! Didn't you know that agreeing with me was required for membership here??? :teeth:

But seriously, I won't dispute your assessment that the courts failed Terri Schiavo. I disagree with your conclusion, but there is no point in arguing the case because your conclusion and mine are based on personal evaluation of the public facts. It is hardly surprising that there is a disparity of opinion on this particular issue and I will not claim that my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's.

I'm not arguing whether the court decision is right or wrong. I'm saying that the way in which DeLay has meddled in this matter is totally inappropriate and degrades our government by channeling ever more power to the feds.

Our founding fathers created our government in three equal parts for a reason. Those principles should not be abandoned as a matter of convenience or as a means to end-run an unpopular judicial decision.

In America the power rests with the people. If elected officials don't act to stop what people feel is an injustice, the people are within their rights to demand action.

Our representatives serve at our discretion, and they know that if they don't react to the people's demands, they will not be returning to Washington when their term ends. That is what has motivated this action by Washington--people power and the desire of the elected representatives to keep their jobs.

I support people having the right to pressure Washington to act to correct what they feel is an unjust decision made by the courts. They are not doing anything illegal; they are just making their wishes known to their elected representatives who are listening and trying to respond. The people have the power to challenge what they consider to be a bad court decision, and they are doing it legally--through their elected representatives.

Adam's Apple said:
In America the power rests with the people. If elected officials don't act to stop what people feel is an injustice, the people are within their rights to demand action.

Our representatives serve at our discretion, and they know that if they don't react to the people's demands, they will not be returning to Washington when their term ends. That is what has motivated this action by Washington--people power and the desire of the elected representatives to keep their jobs.

I support people having the right to pressure Washington to act to correct what they feel is an unjust decision made by the courts. They are not doing anything illegal; they are just making their wishes known to their elected representatives who are listening and trying to respond. The people have the power to challenge what they consider to be a bad court decision, and they are doing it legally--through their elected representatives.

:bsflag:

Forum List

Back