The Titanic Disaster: Survivor's Guilt and "Boats Going Back"

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
I watched a great documentary on the Titanic disaster the other night. SO many things went wrong on that ship; it truly was a "comedy" (not really) of errors.

But I'm surprised when people cast aspersions because the lifeboats didn't go back to save people from the water. This is even mentioned in James Cameron's blockbuster "Titanic" (which I know is not historically pure, but reached a lot of eyeballs).

My thinking is:

1. Many of the lifeboats were a lot further away than people know, up to a mile away from the ship

2. By the time lifeboats arrived where people were, many were sadly gone. Most people died within 30 minutes in the 28 degree water; many within 15 minutes.

But most importantly:

3. Soon after people hit the water, and were still able to swim, any lifeboat that went back to save others would have been in danger of being swamped with swimmers, capsizing the boat and therefore drowning MORE people, and saving no one. Yes, you had a chance of pulling one or two survivors from the water. You also had a chance of killing MORE people.

What are your thoughts?

I would hope that I personally would have gone back and tried!

I mean...that sounds right. But in your boat are women and children, and in the water are hundreds and hundreds of screaming people. You don't really KNOW how long they might live, but you do know if they all try to get on board, they will capsize the boat.

So I'm not so sure. I'm not saying your take is necessarily wrong. But I'm not saying it's an easy one either--especially if you are a mother with a child.

There was also a common misconception among sailors at the time. They believed that if they were close to Titanic, they would be sucked down with her as she went. Hence, they paddled away a great distance.

There was also a common misconception among sailors at the time. They believed that if they were close to Titanic, they would be sucked down with her as she went. Hence, they paddled away a great distance.

I found that interesting as well. It does make some sense, but did not happen. Perhaps they thought the massive size of the ship would create that vacuum. I'm not sure. But unlike something going down a "drain", there was no forcing going on from underneath. I don't know, my mind is not so strong with physics. But that's my impression.

Lifeboats can’t linger around a sinking ship
I think by the time they got back, hypothermia would have settled in

Maybe save a few, but not many

New Topics

Forum List

Back