The Thrill is Gone vs Since I've Been Loving You

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
Both are 12 bar minor blues. Now folks minor blues is a totally different animal than typical blues with dominant 7 chords. It is no longer derived from the harmonized major scale, but derived from melodic minor or harmonic minor, that kind of thing. As I study Jimmy Page stuff combined when Robert Plant could hit the really high notes (early 70's), I feel they were making a statement with each genre based song. Can you top this? And nobody could.

The Thrill is Gone is a classic of course, maybe even boring. But Since I Have Been Loving You sounds like an epic, orchestral masterpiece, but there are only a few chord differences in the embellishments and substitutions in the turnaround area of the 12 measures and the key is up a step.

Last edited:
Can you name the Celtic root themes of the 'blues', and some of the 'classic' compositions it borrows from, also? It's obvious the blues derive from Irish folk music, when one listens to the early Celtic music. We're supposed to give blacks 'credit' for it, and jazz, but the reality is they stole it from whites, mostly Irish folk and religious music. The 'difference' comes from having cheap instruments, being drunk a lot and not having the capacity for complicated time signatures and changes. Political Correctness says we have to pretend this simplistic copy catting is 'originality n Stuff'. And yes, 'blues' is stultifyingly boring music indeed, with only a few exceptions, mostly upgrades by white guitarists.

Last edited:
Picaro, as someone whose Grandma was Irish I appreciate that. No doubt they among the first who brought the genius of European music to America.

As far as politics, the way things are going I would not be surprised if Cream's 1968 version of Crossroads (which is brilliant) is banned because it makes Robert Johnson's version seem not on a beat, out of tune and primitive.

Last edited:
give me BB!

I like him, too, just not all the time, and he is very anal about his note clarity and smooth transitionings. Never heard him do slop, not ever. He stands out among blue guitarists, most of whom play crap.

I respect Roy Buchanan's blues guitarist skills, too, but I don't personally like his instrumental albums, same with Young and AC/DC.

1-4-5 is like painting with only 3 colors

so imho, it's all about the phrasing

that said, one could walk down the street ,and catch a few strains of BB , Page, along with a number of other great players.....and know it was them

~S~

Both are 12 bar minor blues. Now folks minor blues is a totally different animal than typical blues with dominant 7 chords. It is no longer derived from the harmonized major scale, but derived from melodic minor or harmonic minor, that kind of thing. As I study Jimmy Page stuff combined when Robert Plant could hit the really high notes (early 70's), I feel they were making a statement with each genre based song. Can you top this? And nobody could.

The Thrill is Gone is a classic of course, maybe even boring. But Since I Have Been Loving You sounds like an epic, orchestral masterpiece, but there are only a few chord differences in the embellishments and substitutions in the turnaround area of the 12 measures and the key is up a step.
plus it has a great guitar solo....

Forum List

Back