The Three Gorges Dam is only built to withstand an earthquake of 7.0, Nepal was 7.8

So I supplied a Google search with thousands of links giving examples of how it happens and how it's done. Without a shred of evidence, you are saying "I WON'T believe it". That's why it's difficult to believe anyone with such a lack of curiosity and a closed mind could ever be an engineer.
The articles said the theory of this dam affecting the earth's rotation was based on a mathematical calculation. And has never been measured or proven with scientific instruments.

In my profession we only deal with reality. Tangible things which can be measured, quantified, tested, and verified.

Which explains why I'm a Republican and you are a Democrat. ..... :cool:
Hilarious. Physics isn't tangible? Yep! You're a Republican all right. At least we can agree on something.

Any fool can tell that Rdeans account has been hacked.

Read the oo again and tell us how you know Rdeans been hacked

Hilarious. Physics isn't tangible? Yep! You're a Republican all right. At least we can agree on something.
Rdean you are such a dishonest lying poster.

Exactly when did I ever say that Physics wasn't tangible? ....... :cool:

It is physics to state that holding water mass further away from the center of gravity will impact the speed of rotation. Tangible or not, the effect is there.

It is physics to state that holding water mass further away from the center of gravity will impact the speed of rotation. Tangible or not, the effect is there.
Once again, all I said was that the theory is based on a mathematical calculation and has never been measured or proven.

The mathematicians said the difference in rotation speed would only be 1 / 60 billion of a second.

Hardly enough to worry about even if correct. ..... :cool:

Once again, all I said was that the theory is based on a mathematical calculation and has never been measured or proven.

The mathematicians said the difference in rotation speed would only be 1 / 60 billion of a second.

Hardly enough to worry about even if correct. ..... :cool:

Measured- no. Proven- yes. Or has there been some change to the laws of physics?

Measured- no. Proven- yes. Or has there been some change to the laws of physics?
Until proven it's just a theory.

And no, it has not been proven.

That is how science works. ....... :cool:

Are you saying that they cannot measure the amount of water being held back by the dam? Or the average height of that water mass? Or are you really going out on a limb and stating that rotation is not impacted by the distribution of mass relative to the center of gravity?

Dude! Give it up. I am willing to say it is inconsequential but the effect is real. Hell, a man climbing Everest causes a temporary fluxuation until he comes down but the flag he leaves behind is (somewhat) permanent.

No. 0.6 microseconds. 600 billionths of a second.

China s Monster Three Gorges Dam Is About To Slow The Rotation Of The Earth - Business Insider

If the filling had happened instantaneously, it would have been measurable. We can measure how a big earthquake changes the earth's rotation speed by a microsecond. But since the dam filled slowly, the change wasn't visible among all the other things that change earth's rotation speed.

Forum List

Back