The Three Dollar Bill....

no1tovote4

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2004
Colorado

Once upon a time, banks all over the country issued their own currency. Even after the National Bank Act of 1863 imposed a 10 percent tax on such notes, many banks continued to make their own money . By 1935, the national banks had transferred this power to the Federal Reserve.

Yet throughout most of this nation's history, bank-issued currency, now relegated to myriad numismatic collections, was as legal a tender as any. The banks issued every denomination of paper money now in circulation, plus one: the three-dollar bill.

Yes I do mean that the three dollar bill was actually, and those bills still would be if used, legal tender.

Specific designs varied from bank to bank. But one design was used more than any other. That preeminent picture was, as on current currency, of someone. Someone you've known all your life. He appeared on the three-dollar bills issued by the Howard Banking Company of Boston and the Central Bank of Troy and the Pittsfield Bank and the White Mountain Bank--and by one Manhattan bank bearing the name of the man on the three-dollar bill:

Anybody want to take a guess?

no1tovote4 said:

Once upon a time, banks all over the country issued their own currency. Even after the National Bank Act of 1863 imposed a 10 percent tax on such notes, many banks continued to make their own money . By 1935, the national banks had transferred this power to the Federal Reserve.

Yet throughout most of this nation's history, bank-issued currency, now relegated to myriad numismatic collections, was as legal a tender as any. The banks issued every denomination of paper money now in circulation, plus one: the three-dollar bill.

Yes I do mean that the three dollar bill was actually, and those bills still would be if used, legal tender.

Specific designs varied from bank to bank. But one design was used more than any other. That preeminent picture was, as on current currency, of someone. Someone you've known all your life. He appeared on the three-dollar bills issued by the Howard Banking Company of Boston and the Central Bank of Troy and the Pittsfield Bank and the White Mountain Bank--and by one Manhattan bank bearing the name of the man on the three-dollar bill:

Anybody want to take a guess?
Santa Claus? hee, hee. (Just guessing after googling-seems there were many!)

My dad once convinced a kid to give him change for a three dollar bill with President Clintons mug on it. Course that was a fake.

Kathianne said:
Santa Claus? hee, hee. (Just guessing after googling-seems there were many!)

Well you got it right!

Here is the rest of the story:

...and by one Manhattan bank bearing the name of the man on the three-dollar bill: the Saint Nicholas Bank of New York City. And yes, I do mean to tell you that the person whose image was once absolutely lawfully engraved on the dead-serious 100 percent legitimate three-dollar bill--was Santa Claus

no1tovote4 said:
Well you got it right!

...and by one Manhattan bank bearing the name of the man on the three-dollar bill: the Saint Nicholas Bank of New York City. And yes, I do mean to tell you that the person whose image was once absolutely lawfully engraved on the dead-serious 100 percent legitimate three-dollar bill--was Santa Claus

Kind of reminds me of "Miracle on 34th Street". Thanks no1! And a Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

no1tovote4 said:
Well you got it right!

Is that a Paul Harvey script?

no1tovote4 said:
No. I think he stole it from the same site I did. It wasn't copyrighted and it is factual.

Not calling you out or anything. Just saying if you ever hear one of his broadcasts, that's exactly how he delivers it -"and now you know ... the rrrest of the story".

I bet those bills are worth a pretty penny?

nbdysfu said:
Not calling you out or anything. Just saying if you ever hear one of his broadcasts, that's exactly how he delivers it -"and now you know ... the rrrest of the story".

I bet those bills are worth a pretty penny?

I sure would like to have one in my collection. I once saw one, but didn't know what I was looking at. I thought it was a fake.

Forum List

Back