The "Theology" thread

A link to a green winger site... Oooooooooooo... That's a good place to start a stance :rolleyes:

No comment on the biblical interpretation set forth in the article? You can't really believe what Santorum's been spouting, can you? Doesn't sound like any version of Christianity I'm aware of. Perhaps, you could find us a more suitable article on the subject to discuss.

A link to a green winger site... Oooooooooooo... That's a good place to start a stance :rolleyes:

No comment on the biblical interpretation set forth in the article? You can't really believe what Santorum's been spouting, can you? Doesn't sound like any version of Christianity I'm aware of. Perhaps, you could find us a more suitable article on the subject to discuss.

If you get something from a non winger site to discuss.. then I will look into the cited material to discuss...

I did not make any mention of Santorum nor have I made any efforts to support his campaign

When you link to something an enviro-nazi site comments on, you're not gonna be taken seriously

If you get something from a non winger site to discuss.. then I will look into the cited material to discuss...

I did not make any mention of Santorum nor have I made any efforts to support his campaign

When you link to something an enviro-nazi site comments on, you're not gonna be taken seriously

Then why are you responding, knee-jerk reaction to a green site? Why waste our time? There's a question involved in the post that you're welcome to answer without even referencing the article. Got a counter article? If not, the "greenie" one is the best we've got. Deal with it or give us an alternative. Simply labeling something "environazi" is a cop out. I KNOW you can do better. :cool:

Screw the green site. Look between the lines. Anti industry,and anti capitalist.

We're talking the Bible interpretation of "dominion" and its realtionship to current politics. No opinion on that? Seems you're taking the easy way out. If you think the site and article are so bad, at least tell us why. If you don't, all you've done is waste our time. We already knew you wouldn't like the site. Either critique or give us an alternate cite. PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

I didn't read the article, but the bible tells us to "be good stewards" of the gifts God grants us, and the natural world ranks right up there in the blessings the Lord has bestowed.

I don't think anyone is opposed to nature conservation.

What we are opposed to is environmentalism as a facade for a social and political agenda.

The earth has survived meteor strikes in the Yucatan and Siberia, massive super-volcano eruptions (Yellowstone caldera) and a few Ice Ages (talk about deforestation and die-offs).

And yet it is still here and the natural world is thriving once again.

Last edited:

I didn't read the article, but the bible tells us to "be good stewards" of the gifts God grants us, and the natural world ranks right up there in the blessings the Lord has bestowed.

What we are opposed to is environmentalism as a facade for a social and political agenda.

The earth has survived meteor strikes in the Yucatan and Siberia, massive super-volcano eruptions (Yellowstone caldera) and a few Ice Ages (talk about deforestation and die-offs).

But that's not the point. The events you cite had nothing to do with man. The situation we encounter now is unlike the past, because we're contributing to the system in a massive way. Sure the natural world will thrive again, but would we be there to witness it or be the victims of a mass extinction of our own making?

Genesis 1:28 ESV
And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Genesis 1:26 ESV / 39 helpful votes
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Not only should we not worship the earth, we also should not prioritize care for the earth above those aspects of God's creation that are eternal. The earth is vital, but it is not more important than people, who are eternal.

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare" (NIV, 2 Peter 3:10).

And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Not only should we not worship the earth, we also should not prioritize care for the earth above those aspects of God's creation that are eternal. The earth is vital, but it is not more important than people, who are eternal.

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare" (NIV, 2 Peter 3:10).

People aren't eternal. They die and can die more quickly, if we aren't good stewards of the earth. How can you say people are more important than the earth, when we depend on the earth for our survival? It would appear, if not co-equal, at least we're charged by God with protecting it and thereby ourselves.

R/W Christians are fond of using the concept of corruption when it comes to legislating morality. They are against fun things like drinking, gambling, live nude girls, etc. because they say it will corrupt society and our children. This is directly against their stand on the issue at hand where they ignore the corrupting effect of exploitative and greedy use of resources. Pollution corrupts our air and water, it corrupts our bodies with cancerous tumors, It damages the very genes we will pass to future generations. The greed that would drive people to use up every last thing and waste resources for mere status symbols is the most corrupting thing of all, just look at all the Christians that couldn't care less about their fellow humans or the world they live in and instead focus on their worldly goods. They have constructed a belief system where the chase for worldly wealth can never be wrong as long as no one gets drunk or naked.

People aren't eternal. They die and can die more quickly, if we aren't good stewards of the earth. How can you say people are more important than the earth, when we depend on the earth for our survival? It would appear, if not co-equal, at least we're charged by God with protecting it and thereby ourselves.

Christians believe life is eternal. You can believe whatever the hell you want.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

1 John 5:13-14
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

It is true that we depend on the earth, I'm not advocating its destruction. But the fact is, God placed man above all living things. Therefore when it comes down to saving a tree or prolonging human life, the choice is simple.

God told us to be good stewards and I think we have have been.

But that's not the point. The events you cite had nothing to do with man. The situation we encounter now is unlike the past, because we're contributing to the system in a massive way. Sure the natural world will thrive again, but would we be there to witness it or be the victims of a mass extinction of our own making?

I would say that the K-T barrier evidence of a global sun-blocking atmospheric dust event and 99% of the Earth's surface covered in ice represent a significantly more massive contribution than the 5% of non-water vapor greenhouse gasses that mankind contributes.

Last edited:

There is a difference between exegesis and projection.

There is a difference between exegesis and projection.
Genesis makes it VERY clear GOD created the earth; thus it is GOD's, not for human destruction. To have DOMINION over does not mean to abuse or destroy.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Forum List

Back