The Thanksgiving Thankies Thread

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
We all have burdens. Poor health, a beloved in distress, a love affair gone awry, money woes......and most of us keep our worries and heartbreaks front and center to such a degree, they crowd out the beauty and joy in our lives. Can we try briefly to tell Planet Earth a few of the things we have to be grateful for in these last few days before Thanksgiving, please? You can post serious stuff or silly things, as long as you post with "an attitude of gratitude".

So, in no special order of importance, I am grateful for.....

* My beloveds. Starting with my babygirl and ending with the ladies I lunch with but don't yet know all that well, these are the finest humans I have ever met, and I am honored and humbled that they grace my life. For the first time in many years, perhaps because we are all older, everyone I love is reasonably healthy, safe, employed, and free of heartache. Things are so good I know this time in all our lives is to be savored; it is rare and may not come again.

* My finances. I have the most enviable spot on the rainbow: I am guaranteed a modest income, for which I need do nothing further to qualify but draw breath. Retirement is a wonderful stage of life and I cannot encourage younger people enough to save for it. To folks my age who fear they may be denied it, I am so terribly sad and if you know of any way I can assist, I'm happy to help.

* My health. I am suffering all the usual slings and arrows of maturity, but so far, not one of the real fuck yous the universe has on offer. I have even lost enough weight to go down a full jeans' size, and that in a month or so without really trying. I know I did nothing whatever to deserve this good health and that I have just simply lucked out. I am so grateful.

* My fabulous sense of style. I finally -- finally! -- have some personal style in clothing and home decor, and so the place is shaping up just as I had hoped. Simple, clean, fresh, with a dash of whimsey and even kitsch. The secret here is, I think, to dress or decorate to please nobody but yourself (unless someone else lives with you).

* Pop culture -- I love Lady Gaga, and I think "The Soup!" on E! is hilarious. I am delighted comics are making a come-back and the newest in graphic design amazes me. There is a renaissance in almost every facet of arts and culture going on, mostly undertaken by amateurs and others who'll never be listed on a MOMA inventory sheet. Fine time to be alive, IMO.

* Cleveland -- It has taken me a long time to stop grieving for the beauty and warmth of Florida and become more objective about this town, but I have and it is a great place for me. It has raucous local politics, a vibrant arts scene, fascinating ethnic flavors, some great old (old by US standards, anyways, LOL) stuff, etc.

* New technology -- Now don't misunderstand, I don't own all these things and I might never, but knowing they exist and that if I came to believe I couldn't live without some of them I could buy one, makes me happy. GPS -- thank you, Jesus. Finally a way for those of us who really believe "north" is skyward to level the playing field. E-readers -- a library in a tablet. Positively mind-blowing. Netflix instantly available though a Wii -- I feel as if I'm in the Jetson's living room. Electric cars -- hallelueia! Light rail supertrains -- o ya! Smart phones -- fabulous! Can't wait to see what next year brings; seems to me the inventions just get better all the time.

* My country -- I live with 300 Million of the bravest, most compassionate people on Planet Earth. For all this nation's problems, we have a spirit of can-do that will carry us past most tragedies and a military any mother would be proud of. Even our nuts are nuttier, LOL.

So, my fellow USMB-ers, what are you grateful for this Thanksgiving?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
It would never occur to me to offer up Thanksgiving Thankies for Lady Gaga.

It would never occur to me to offer up Thanksgiving Thankies for Lady Gaga.

She delights me, boedicca, what can I say?

So what are you grateful for, miss? I kinda sorta get the impression you have a bountiful life.

I have a good, self-made life.

The things for which I am most thankful are my family and close friends.

More Than A Day

As Thanksgiving Day rolls around,
It brings up some facts, quite profound.
We may think that we're poor,
Feel like bums, insecure,
But in truth, our riches astound.

We have friends and family we love;
We have guidance from heaven above.
We have so much more
Than they sell in a store,
We're wealthy, when push comes to shove.

So add up your blessings, I say;
Make Thanksgiving last more than a day.
Enjoy what you've got;
Realize it's a lot,
And you'll make all your cares go away.

turkey1.jpg

By Karl Fuchs​

I am thankfull to be alive and free, to have good health, a place to live, a job, food to eat, and the opportunity to spend time with my dad (79 years old) the only member of my immediate family left.

In no particular order:

I am alive. I am loved. I am happy.

I have my children, a roof over our heads and enough food for the table.

I have the freedom to speak my mind, the wisdom to know when not to and the health to run like the devil when I know better but do it anyway.

Seems like all is well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Forum List

Back