The Texas Sniper Charles Whitman

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
in 1966

A former marine. (Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome)??

Or was he just unbalanced like the Aurora CO shooter???

Ok

That would point to motivation.

They did have cancer treatment back then.

Another famous sniper was a man named Lee Harvey Oswald. He was also a Marine who ironically had poor marksmanship scores while in the Corps.

There was cancer treatments forbrain tumors

Whitman didntneed to do thatstuff

It was so long ago.

I forgot about the Whitman brain tumor. But it was discussed.

Did he think he had only a short time to live??

May have been a possible motive.

But still an evil act.

in 1966

Whitman never saw combat but he was arrested and reduced to the rank of Private for violations of the UCMJ. If you want to include that in the PTSS criteria it opens the door for all sorts of bennies for Veterans. Apparently he had an aggressive brain tumor that didn't interfere with his marksman skills. It's strange that nobody seems to question jihad Major Nadal's stability or his motivation.

Interestingly, Whitman has a number of parallels with Lee Harvey Oswald, alleged assassin of JFK:

--Both got early discharges from the Marines, something that is rarely given.

--Both were hospitalized and served time in the brig for disciplinary infractions while they were in the Marines. JFK assassination researchers have speculated that Oswald's time away from his unit was used as a cover for him to receive intelligence training. Was the same thing done with Whitman?

--Oswald told a friend that he was going to work for a NASA facility in New Orleans(though he never did work there). Whitman did get a job at a NASA facility in Houston, TX in 1965.

--Witesses in Dealy Plaza thought there were multiple gunmen. Witnesses at the Clock Tower at the University of Texas initially thought there were multiple gunmen.

--President Johnson ordered the FBI to takeover the investigation into the murder of JFK. Johnson also personally ordered J. Edgar Hoover to do an FBI investigation into the Tower Massacre.

--After Dallas, the Warren Commission was convened to suppress rumors. After Austin, the "Connely Commission' was convened to make sure there was a motive for the crimes of the sniper.

/

in 1966

Whitman never saw combat but he was arrested and reduced to the rank of Private for violations of the UCMJ. If you want to include that in the PTSS criteria it opens the door for all sorts of bennies for Veterans. Apparently he had an aggressive brain tumor that didn't interfere with his marksman skills. It's strange that nobody seems to question jihad Major Nadal's stability or his motivation.

Because he left a trail a mile long regarding his motivation. It was all workplace violence.

I don't know what the treatment of brain cancer was at that time but it couldn't have been good. Whitman didn't know he had brain cancer. He had been many times to Texas University doctors, Texas University care of Whitman was poor at best...

As I remember, a brain tumor was more or less a death sentence in the early sixties. It's not clear to me when that changed, but it did change.

Also, mentally ill people are incompetent. That means they did nothing to bring their cancer on, they may not be able to communicate correctly to a physician. They may make an appointment to treat a headache, and when the physician says "Hello, how are you?" The mentally ill person may say something to the effect of "I'm fine! How are you?"

And a brain tumor that goes undiagnosed until post mortem is the hallmark of a truly mentally ill person. :(

The loci of the tumor may prompt different responses in different people. One person may shoot 'em up. Another may just rearrange napkins in a drawer 999 times a day. Another may fall asleep behind the wheel of a car that is going 85 miles an hour. Another may pull the car over, then fall asleep for a couple of hours with no remembrance of being asleep and wonder where the two hours went.

Researchers are tracking brain function in terms of mapping.

Unfortunately, for every headache that causes a person to do murders, 50 million other people with a similar type of headache will nothing more violent than massaging their temples and taking an aspirin.

An aspirin will not alleviate the messages screwed up by a tumor.

As a minister who gave a sermon on a man serving a sentence for murder, "There, but for the grace of God go I."

This post is not intended to be a panacea for administering justice, because a lot of mentally ill people are serving time in prisons. And many of them sought mental counseling before committing a crime. Ask any jailer.

I don't know what the treatment of brain cancer was at that time but it couldn't have been good. Whitman didn't know he had brain cancer. He had been many times to Texas University doctors, Texas University care of Whitman was poor at best...

As I remember, a brain tumor was more or less a death sentence in the early sixties. It's not clear to me when that changed, but it did change.

Also, mentally ill people are incompetent. That means they did nothing to bring their cancer on, they may not be able to communicate correctly to a physician. They may make an appointment to treat a headache, and when the physician says "Hello, how are you?" The mentally ill person may say something to the effect of "I'm fine! How are you?"

And a brain tumor that goes undiagnosed until post mortem is the hallmark of a truly mentally ill person. :(

The loci of the tumor may prompt different responses in different people. One person may shoot 'em up. Another may just rearrange napkins in a drawer 999 times a day. Another may fall asleep behind the wheel of a car that is going 85 miles an hour. Another may pull the car over, then fall asleep for a couple of hours with no remembrance of being asleep and wonder where the two hours went.

Unfortunately, for every headache that causes a person to do murders, 50 million other people with a similar type of headache will nothing more violent than massaging their temples and taking an aspirin.

As a minister who gave a sermon on a man serving a sentence for murder, "There, but for the grace of God go I."

This post is not intended to be a panacea for administering justice, because a lot of mentally ill people are serving time in prisons. And many of them sought mental counseling before committing a crime. Ask any jailer.

Is there anyway of telling who is more is more likely to become dangerous?

Is there anyway of telling who is more is more likely to become dangerous?
Yes. After the fact.

Happy New Year!

in 1966

The Aurora shooter, James Holmes, was a left wing died red haired freakazoid. If Whitman was a republican we would have heard about it so there is reason to believe he was a democrat like every other mass shooter in modern times. The sub-standard medical research at the time claimed that his brain tumor did not contribute to his erratic behavior but it probably did..

Another famous sniper was a man named Lee Harvey Oswald. He was also a Marine who ironically had poor marksmanship scores while in the Corps.

Really? He was rated above average to the best of my knowledge...

Hold on...

In '56 he scored a 212, two points above the lowest score for sharpshooter...

In '59 he scored a 191, 0ne point above the lowest score for marksman...

I guess it's a coin toss as to his abilities by '63...

(scores from Wikipedia)

Forum List

Back