Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Christian: no

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Everyone else: yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Everyone else: no

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Threats of punishment against multiple generations does not seem the actions of a God secure in his position

A secure God would be confident in the love and respect of his people and would not heve to "Comand" anything

My brother learned the hard way that poor choices he made years ago are now having a great effect on the lives of his grandchildren. A loving God would want to give us a heads up on the powerful effects of our choices might have on future generations.

Question: if we did follow them, what would it hurt?

Well, as I am not a Christian, or even a Jew, it would force me to violate my own conscience and beliefs.

That is not a small thing to me, though you may not be bothered by putting me into that position.

Well, as I am not a Christian, or even a Jew, it would force me to violate my own conscience and beliefs.

That is not a small thing to me, though you may not be bothered by putting me into that position.

which commandments would force you to violate your own conscience and beliefs? (I'm assuming it's gonna be what I call the "vanity commandments", but I don't want to put words in your mouth because I am genuinely interested to know your opinions on the subject)

which commandments would force you to violate your own conscience and beliefs? (I'm assuming it's gonna be what I call the "vanity commandments", but I don't want to put words in your mouth because I am genuinely interested to know your opinions on the subject)

Commandments 1-4.

Rightwingers commandments

1. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you (do you really need any others?)

2. Honor your family. Take care of your children, feed them, educate them, don't beat them. Respect your spouse. Don't cheat or harm them physically or emotionally. Respect your parents. Honor them and take care of them in their old age

3. Respect the earth. Take care of the planet you have been given and it will take care of you

4. Thou shall not kill, or maim or strike other people or force them to do anything against their will

5. Thou shall be honest in your dealings with others. Don't lie, cheat or take from others that which is not yours

6. Respect your servants. Compensate them fairly for their labors. Allow them to have lives outside of their service to you

7. Respect all people regardless of sex, race, religion, sexuality, age or nationality

8. Respect the body and mind that God has given you.

9. Endeavor to make life better for others

10. It is not your responsibility to judge others

OK God, beat that

To the poll in the OP

What do the ten commandments have to do with Christians? They were written a thousand years before Christ

Thou shall not covet? A thought crime makes it as commandment?

In the Hebrew language, the word for 'covet' is not linked to thoughts, but rather with actual plans to take possession. For example, when Jews would leave their land and possessions to go to Jerusalem for one of the high holidays, people were not to covet the land of the travelers. In this passage, the word 'take' is added to 'covet'. One must not make plans and take over his neighbor's land and possessions.

Hence: Thou shall not steal
When covet becomes a crime

Thou shall not commit adultery
When coveting thy neighbors wife becomes a crime

Covet is a good thing. It gets you to aspire to accomplish more in your life. I covet my neighbors house. Doesn't mean I want to steal it, just that I would like to someday own one like it

Funny when we discuss politics coveting or greed is evil but ten commandments its a good thing?

First of all...God wastes four commandments on "You better worship me or else" kind of petty and self serving. If you are that good a God, you do not have to order people to worship you

Three Commandments, not four. The first Commandment is not, "worship me or else", it tells us what should be our first priority: Loving God and His ways.

The second Commandment advises when we call on God, it should never be us as Master and God as our personal Genii. Nor are we to ever threaten others with God. Both are using God's name in vain.

Keep holy the Lord's Day is about spending one day a week with the Lord and things of the Lord rather than in the world among the temptations of the world.

These three Commandments are less about ordering people to worship and more about advising people what priority will lead to the most fulfilling life.

says the catholic whose "church
" changed/combined/erased one.

The ten commandments were for the Jews only
  1. God never brought the goyim out of Egypt! Ex 20:2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."
  2. The Lord has not given the goyim the promised land of Canaan! Ex 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you"
  3. Since the Sabbath is a sign between God and fleshly Israel, there is nothing requiring the goyim to ever keep it (Ex. 31:13,17; Ezek. 20:12, 20)
  4. If it was intended for all mankind, then why specifically say "strangers within your gates". Obviously the goyim (strangers) were never required at any point in earth history to keep the Sabbath or follow the ten commandments which are 10 guides to the 613 commandments

People should use their brains to define what is right and wrong, rather than rely on what others tell them.

The ten commandments were for the Jews only
  1. God never brought the goyim out of Egypt! Ex 20:2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."
  2. The Lord has not given the goyim the promised land of Canaan! Ex 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you"
  3. Since the Sabbath is a sign between God and fleshly Israel, there is nothing requiring the goyim to ever keep it (Ex. 31:13,17; Ezek. 20:12, 20)
  4. If it was intended for all mankind, then why specifically say "strangers within your gates". Obviously the goyim (strangers) were never required at any point in earth history to keep the Sabbath or follow the ten commandments which are 10 guides to the 613 commandments

I never underestood the respect given the Ten Commandments

They are not that god a guide and I wrote a better one in ten minutes

Rightwingers commandments

1. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you (do you really need any others?)

2. Honor your family. Take care of your children, feed them, educate them, don't beat them. Respect your spouse. Don't cheat or harm them physically or emotionally. Respect your parents. Honor them and take care of them in their old age

3. Respect the earth. Take care of the planet you have been given and it will take care of you

4. Thou shall not kill, or maim or strike other people or force them to do anything against their will

5. Thou shall be honest in your dealings with others. Don't lie, cheat or take from others that which is not yours

6. Respect your servants. Compensate them fairly for their labors. Allow them to have lives outside of their service to you

7. Respect all people regardless of sex, race, religion, sexuality, age or nationality

8. Respect the body and mind that God has given you.

9. Endeavor to make life better for others

10. It is not your responsibility to judge others

OK God, beat that

Ha-ha-ha! :beer: I like it a lot.

Should we follow them: yay or nay?

If you don't there's some rough water ahead for your little boat:

Revelation 21:
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone.

Revelation 21:
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone.

Scare tactics only work on cowards.

Revelation 21:

I didn't write it.....St. John did!!!

Revelation 21:

I didn't write it.....St. John did!!!

What is that to me?

The ten commandments were for Jews only

God never brought the goyim or their ancestors out of Egypt! Ex 20:2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."
God has not given the goyim the promised land of Canaan! Ex 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you"
Since the Sabbath is a sign between God and fleshly Israel, there is nothing requiring the goyim to keep it (Ex. 31:13,17; Ezek. 20:12, 20)
If it was intended for all mankind, then why specifically say "strangers within your gates". Obviously the goyim (strangers) were never required at any point in earth history to keep the Sabbath or the ten commandments

Im not following rules that came from such a ridiculous obviously made up story.

This is obviously rules a cult made up and these rules address the problems of their times.

Being written by elders of course they say honor your parents.

No other gods? Don't worship anything but me? Dont even say my name in vein?

How many people keep Sunday a holy day? Should it be a law?

Don't steal, kill, lie or fuck your neighbors wife. All were problems back then.

And how stupid were the Jews that God had to tell them these things? I saw the ten commandments last night and those slaves must have been complete savage ignorant beasts back then

Forum List

Back