The "TECHNO" And JAZZ Corner...

Okay, as a connoisseur of synthesizer music, I must quibble with the definition of Techno. Electronic music actually has many different gradients, and are best lumped, if they must, under Electronica. But for those who have not been collecting lots of this type of music since the early 1980's and going back for stuff published in the early 70's they may not know.

New Age: This used to be the classification from everyone who worked with synths that did not abide by the standard use of a drum or percussion to keep a beat as a regular instrument. This covered artists like Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, Tomita, Stephen Roach, Mychael Danna and dozens of others. Today you can also see this called Atmospheric and Space music thanks to the PRI show "Hearts of Space".

Electronica/Electronic: This used a percussive beat to set the tunes, but was too experimental to be labeled really anything else. It was often without lyrics as well. Artists like John Tesh's early work before he went Christian and composed for NBC Sports, Jean Michel Jarre, early Kraftwerk, early Art of Noise, Synergy Jan Hammer and later Tangerine Dream could be considered this.

Techno: This is the messed up child of Disco and New Age. Club music essentially. You have to be able to dance to it, and has a heavy dominating beat. There are varients to this such as Dance, Progressive, Jungle, Tribal, Happy Hardcore and others. This form started back with M/A/R/R/S "Pump Up the Volume". Other artists are so common to mention now, but consist of Paul Oakenfold, Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers, 2 Unlimited, KLF, Robert Miles. This may or may not have lyrics to it, and often does a lot of sampling.

Trance: Otherwise can be viewed as "soft" or "slow" techno. It's slower, the beat isn't as heavy and tends to be more artsy fartsy at times. Also called Chill Out, Lounge Trip Hop and often mistaken for 'world' music. The best example of this music popular would be Enigma, later Art of Noise, Massive Attack (at times),

So anyway, that's my minor quibble with Techno. It's too bad that some of these styles of electronic music have fallen out of favor. It's interesting to consider that many of Tangerine Dream's early works, like Brian Eno were experiments with brain alpha wave stimulation and other wierd psychological science. Phaedra, Stratosphere, Green Desert, Exit, Cyclone and a few others were based on this before they started finding a more commercial sound.

Synergy I find it interesting was used to do sound checks for Peter Gabriel concerts in the 1970's because Larry fast programmed Gabriel's synths for the shows, and he made the songs to get the most out of the sound system.

What hath Moog wrought?

After so much narcissism... here. Some severely old school music.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjxbwZG20Wc]YouTube - Tomita "Pacific 231" (1978)[/ame]

First time I heard this piece I so geeked and freaked out. Being I'm a rail fan as well, you can imagine why. Not his most known (that goes to his rendition of Holst: Mars the bringer of War), but it's one of my faves.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy4wASt1pA]YouTube - TangerineDream"Stratosfear"3am at the border of the marsh from okefenokee. Cover[/ame]

The damp settles around you. You can smell the earthy water and saw grass. The sky clear but ground covered in haze. Then out of the night rushes a train, flashing by and gone again.

That's the visual I always see when listening to this piece. A real good storytelling work.

The First FEW Frames notwithstanding? [FBI WARNING] and all...I guess YouTube didn't see a problem with it seeing as they are such sticklers...so I Post this on their Cue...

I want you guys here to see these people...They have such a presence...[And the Saxaphonist is -HOT-]!

Have a look and enjoy the music? I have similiar stuff on DVD with these guys myself. Scrolling acoss the bottom of the screen is a bit of history of the group...

And not to mention the plethora of Keyboards including an analog MOOG in the background? -LOVE IT-!

YouTube - TANGERINE DREAM ORIENTAL HAZE SHEPHERDS BUSH EMPIRE
i love the MOOG !!!:clap2:

YouTube - Tomita "Pacific 231" (1978)

First time I heard this piece I so geeked and freaked out. Being I'm a rail fan as well, you can imagine why. Not his most known (that goes to his rendition of Holst: Mars the bringer of War), but it's one of my faves.

Who could forget Isao Tomita?

Electronic and Jazz, done right.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaHBWZ5tEP4]YouTube - Nujabes - Psychological Counterpoint[/ame]

At his peak, he had like 8 albums out on Vinyl. Now he has only 4 or so out. You get some of his greatest hits, but try try and find "Live at Linz" or "The Bermuda Triangle" (by far one of his best). Firebird Suite sucks, Snowflakes are Dancing is beyond excellent, and his rendition of Bolero is one of my all time favorites. He does a great 1812 Overture too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMN6sORyogY]YouTube - Deirdre Of The Sorrows,Mychael Danna[/ame]

Here. Fall in love with one of the best New Age songs of all time that nobody knows about IMHO. Makes Stephen Roach look like a bloody piker.

I first heard this on a show still out of WPNE 89.3 called "Experimental New Nights". Ran from 10-midnight on Mondays and was pheNOMinal for new music. I once taped a show that was playing during a thunderstorm. One of my best memories of that show. I think it's out there still doing wonderful New Age and Space music late at night.

Wonderful Stuff.

Now I'm gonna throw you all a curve...

OBSERVE...An analog MOOG in action...

*I* love this stuff...

Just so some of you know the root of the thing *WE* enjoy...

This is done rather nicely. It reminds me of the Summer of 1974 when I was learning on a similiar machine...

Albiet I could have done without the mechanical noises of the keyclicks...

But a lesson none the less.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBeqi0_gjrk&feature=channel]YouTube - Moog IIIc / 2VCO unison[/ame]

At his peak, he had like 8 albums out on Vinyl. Now he has only 4 or so out. You get some of his greatest hits, but try try and find "Live at Linz" or "The Bermuda Triangle" (by far one of his best). Firebird Suite sucks, Snowflakes are Dancing is beyond excellent, and his rendition of Bolero is one of my all time favorites. He does a great 1812 Overture too.

Tomita is wonderful...he is an artist unto himself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2HIsRBvSM]YouTube - Tangerine Dream - 220 Volt[/ame]

Forum List

Back