The Tea Party

They changed the tax tables for 2009.

New Withholding Tables Now Available on IRS.gov; Most Workers Will See Bigger Paychecks this Spring

In 2010, they changed them back.

No one is paying back their tax break.

The tax table that they're talking about in the link you gave is the WITHHOLDING TAX TABLE. That is not the tax table you use when you fill out your tax return for 2009. That is the tax table used by employers to WITHHOLD taxes from your paycheck. Do you really not understand that they are not the same?

P.S. I'm an accountant, please try to tell me some more that I don't know what it's my business to know.

Rick

New Withholding Tables Now Available on IRS.gov; Most Workers Will See Bigger Paychecks this Spring

The tax table that they're talking about in the link you gave is the WITHHOLDING TAX TABLE. That is not the tax table you use when you fill out your tax return for 2009. That is the tax table used by employers to WITHHOLD taxes from your paycheck. Do you really not understand that they are not the same?

P.S. I'm an accountant, please try to tell me some more that I don't know what it's my business to know.

Rick
You must be a lousy accountant. File a Schedule M for your clients who didn't have their taxes reduced by their employer last year. They may claim the credit when they file their taxes tomorrow.

:thup:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sm.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, where was the Tea Party prior to 2008? It wasn't like the Federal Government during the Bush adminstration was "small government".

Secondly, my personal opinion of the Tea Party will go up significantly if they continue to operate with gusto during the next Republican Presidential Administration and during the next Republican controlled Congress.

Until I see that, the Tea Party is just an anti-Obama, anti-Democrat, pro-Republican organization.

Let me humor your assumption and lets say that I didn't start caring, speaking out, or protesting until 6 months ago. Whats wrong with that? So what if I didn't protest under Bush. I may have been asleep to the issue a year ago but at least I'm awake now, saw the error of my inaction, and am doing something about it.

Would you rather once people realize something is wrong they just remain ignorant about that fact? Hell under the mindset you present here Xotoxi you would be yelling at people protesting against hitler killing jews..."Yeah well where were you in 1938 huh?"

Dont worry I still like you but you just really dissapointed me with your lack of thought on this one.

Rick
You must be a lousy accountant. File a Schedule M for your clients who didn't have their taxes reduced by their employer last year. They may claim the credit when they file their taxes tomorrow.

:thup:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sm.pdf

Once again, you're linking to the CREDIT that you got when the WITHHOLDING tax tables were adjusted by the EMPLOYER. This is not the same as the tax table that you use when you file your tax return. Let me try to explain it one more time, I'm not holding out much hope that you'll get it, but here it goes.

Your employer was given a WITHHOLDING tax table from the IRS last year when the Making Work Pay Credit was introduced. What this WITHHOLDING table did was reduce the amount you pay for your Federal Tax out of your paycheck. This table was an adjusted table, and is the table that you keep linking to.

When you go/went to file your 2009 tax return you used a TAX TABLE that shows what you should have paid for Federal Taxes based on your income level. THIS TAX TABLE WAS NOT CHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore, whatever your employer WITHHELD based on the new WITHHOLDING tax table is not included in the TAX TABLE you used when your 2009 tax return was/is filed.

I'm sure you still will claim that it was a tax break, but for those of us that actually know what is going on, it was a Making Work Pay Tax Loan. And you're responsible for the FULL tax amount off of the tax table that WAS NOT adjusted.

Sorry, but this was not even close to a tax cut.

Rick

If you haven't filed the Schedule M for your clients you've done them a disservice. A tax credit is a tax credit, no matter how you receive it...and no one has to pay this one back.

Here, maybe this will help you. Don't feel too badly, I once had to remind my accountant to give me my deduction for a hybrid car.
Definition of a Tax Credit

The definition of a Tax Credit is an item that reduces your actual tax. It differs from a tax deduction that reduces only your taxable income.

Definition of a Tax Credit

First of all, where was the Tea Party prior to 2008? It wasn't like the Federal Government during the Bush adminstration was "small government".

Secondly, my personal opinion of the Tea Party will go up significantly if they continue to operate with gusto during the next Republican Presidential Administration and during the next Republican controlled Congress.

Until I see that, the Tea Party is just an anti-Obama, anti-Democrat, pro-Republican organization.
And paranoid. Very, very paranoid.

Not to mention ignorant and mis-informed.

Let me humor your assumption and lets say that I didn't start caring, speaking out, or protesting until 6 months ago. Whats wrong with that? So what if I didn't protest under Bush. I may have been asleep to the issue a year ago but at least I'm awake now, saw the error of my inaction, and am doing something about it.

Would you rather once people realize something is wrong they just remain ignorant about that fact? Hell under the mindset you present here Xotoxi you would be yelling at people protesting against hitler killing jews..."Yeah well where were you in 1938 huh?"

Dont worry I still like you but you just really dissapointed me with your lack of thought on this one.

Not really lack of thought...it was just a question. And thank you for being honest.

Based on what you've said, you might have protested under Bush for the same reasons you are protesting now. And I assume that you will not stop protesting as soon as a Republican has been voted in.

When you file a Schedule M you must claim it on your tax return. Do you know what that means?

Don't worry, I don't expect you to understand tax laws.

Rick

When you file a Schedule M you must claim it on your tax return. Do you know what that means?

Don't worry, I don't expect you to understand tax laws.

Rick
Yes, it means you can claim the tax credit, thereby reducing the tax you owe...which can result in a smaller check to the IRS for balance due or a refund.

So, in your OPINION, the TEA Parties are not "anti-Obama", "anti-Demcorat" or pro-Republican".....got it.

Yep, my opinion. Based on something slightly more substantial than some unsourced images from the internet. Now, remind me again, who was it who posted 'TEA Party' images and then could not source the images, could not state which TEA Party, or where, or who took the images... in fact, no context whatsoever.... and that's your 'evidence'. To anyone with an IQ over 50, you are a joke.

That's the beauty of the Internet. You fringe folks simply cannot hide any longer.

What utter douchyness!

(Doucheyness?)

Does it matter if the Tea Party movement was non-existent in 2008? What matters is that a collective voice is present NOW. If the Tea Party is simply Anti-Obama (as it has been stated) then why didn't they form in November 2008 after he won the presidential election? The movement didn't begin to take root until 6 months later in April 2009. Should we dismiss the Tea Party members and the principles they are trying to restore because they could have spoken out earlier? Instead of attacking their attemps to reduce the size of government, maybe we should view the movement as an opportunity for us to bring both parties back to a period of principles.

Your statement below isn't true. I call that trashing them.

Really? You see that as trashing them? I think there's a lot of truth to it.

I have yet to meet a TEA Partier who is 'anti-Obama', 'anti-Democrat' or 'pro-Republican'. That is the impression you get from the media... but the media is not exactly unbiased in their stance on the TEA Parties.

Personally, I think anyone who actually want to know what the parties are should go to one and find out. Otherwise, while you are entitled to voice an opinion, your opinion has no basis in fact which makes it worthless.

I disagree with your first paragraph, with the exception of the point you make about the media being biased, which is a view I have some sympathy with.

Your second point is an interesting one. If only the opinions of those who have attended a tea party are worth listening to, then it seems logical that the overwhelming majority of such opinion will favor the tea party movement. That would tend to lead to the conclusion that the only opinions worth listening to are those that favor the tea party movement - clearly an absurd position.

The views of those who have attended tea parties should be viewed with some suspicion, as they clearly would tend to have a position to defend. That said, just because they have attended a tea party does not mean that the reports they provide are slanted. Indeed, it seems at least prudent to listen to the views of those who have attended, as they tend to balance the largely incorrect image that the media regularly portray as being central to the tea party movement.

So, in your OPINION, the TEA Parties are not "anti-Obama", "anti-Demcorat" or pro-Republican".....got it.

Yep, my opinion. Based on something slightly more substantial than some unsourced images from the internet. Now, remind me again, who was it who posted 'TEA Party' images and then could not source the images, could not state which TEA Party, or where, or who took the images... in fact, no context whatsoever.... and that's your 'evidence'. To anyone with an IQ over 50, you are a joke.

That's the beauty of the Internet. You fringe folks simply cannot hide any longer.

Actually, the beauty of the internet is that you can describe anyone as fringe and then find several hundred photos and dozens of articles to support your contention.

So actually that's more squalor than beauty.

Well, considering that the last Republican POTUS and GOP Congress centralized and increased spending, what do YOU think?

Yeah, OK, but I was asking about the NEXT one. I know it's convenient to keep looking back over our shoulders to find rocks to throw, but I was asking about the NEXT admin. And it was a question to xotoxi, not you. I'm quite well aware of your attitude to anyone who has attended or supports the tea parties ("racist jerkoffs" I believe you described them as - sorry if I'm misquoting you), so given that animosity I'm not sure that attempting to answer your question is worthwhile. However...

I didn't live in America during the last administration, so I don't know whether your summation is fair or not. I guess it could be.

Historically, the Republican Party has been viewed as, generally speaking, the party of lower taxes and smaller government. Whether this view is accurate based on the record of the Bush administration is an interesting question.

If the next Rep admin is consistent with traditional Rep policy, it would not be a surprise to see lower spending and smaller governement, in which case the aims of the Tea Party movement (by which I mean the original stated aims) would have been realized.

However, I foresee difficulty in cutting taxes because of the legacy of debt that has been taken on, both by the former administration and the current one. As such, while I supported the original aims of the tea party movement, I think that the debt load that has now been taken on needs to be serviced somehow. It would therefore not be a surprise to me to see a future Rep admin not making any significant tax cuts.

If this is the case, then the Tea Party movement should continue (unless of course all tea partyers are economic pragmatists). As it is, I suspect the tea party movement will continue for the time being as the GOP can use it as a stick with which to beat the Obama administration.

But if a Republican POTUS is in office in 3 or 7 years time and he/she fails to cut taxes, then I think the Tea Party movement will still die away because it is heavily aligned with the GOP. The Rep administration will find it difficult to cut taxes in view of the debt that needs to be serviced and this will be used as the excuse for the demise of the tea party movement. The truth of course will be that the GOP would make the tea parties disappear whether there was additional debt to service or not.

That's a rather fumbled, stream of consciousness answer, because I had not really thought about it before (hence my question to xotoxi, who seemed to have considered it a bit more thoroughly).

Either way, I hope that answers your question about my views, assuming you were actually interested in the opinion of a jackoff racist.

Just like the people within the movement who claim to be our leaders, Republicans are tolerated by the protesters as long as they tow the line. The movement, regardless of what the LSM says, is essentially leaderless, and that is by design. Republicans, unlike Democrats, have wisely kept the door open with the Tea Party movement. However, if they fail to perform, they will face primary challengers. Meanwhile, Tea Party participants will continue to infiltrate the Republican Party at the local level. We believe it can be best changed from within.

Hmmmm, I'm gonna think about that.

Not really lack of thought...it was just a question. And thank you for being honest.

Based on what you've said, you might have protested under Bush for the same reasons you are protesting now. And I assume that you will not stop protesting as soon as a Republican has been voted in.

Yes I will be protesting or whatever is going on about it with the national debt until the government uses the same fiscal policy as me, no defecit spending unless its an utmost emergeny, then cutting back on anything extra until the defecit is paid back from the emergency.

Still though I made a different point to you that i'm curious about your opinion on. What is wrong with people, once they come to the realization that something is wrong/bad, changing their minds and speaking out against it?

I bet a lot of people though it was A-OK for bush to cut taxes while increasing spending at the same time....then all of a sudden with the 2 wars and all bush's domestic spending stuff we end up with a spotlight on the debt which wakes people up....then the bailouts hit and peoples eyes are opened wide and they finally pay attention, then obama takes office and gets the heat for decades of government frivolity and irresponsibility.

I mean once someone realizes something is wrong they have a duty to stand against it or try to fix it. With the attitude you presented in the OP doing this is a bad thing. I dont understand why people do that and i figured my little "speaking out against hitler" example was a firm way to make the point obvious without having to make a post like this about it.

What is wrong with people finally waking up now even if they were unintentionally ignorant to the problem under bush?

Just so you know I do understand the attitude you appear to hold. There ARE some people who, like me, understood just how bad what bush was doing with the budget and debt was. However, unlike me, these people never spoke out about it because "their guy" was in office but now that its "the other guy" they are. I get that, but i think you are attributing this quality to a lot of people who are not doing this...that is why i had a problem with the first post, thats what bothered me.

Do you consider that the next Republican administration / Rep congress is likely to devolve power and curtail public spending, or do you think they will centralize and increase spending?

If you believe the next Republican Congress will devolve power and curtail public spending, I have a bridge to nowhere in Alaska to sell you.

Do you consider that the next Republican administration / Rep congress is likely to devolve power and curtail public spending, or do you think they will centralize and increase spending?

If you believe the next Republican Congress will devolve power and curtail public spending, I have a bridge to nowhere in Alaska to sell you.

How much is the bridge? I've been saving to start my own business but that bridge sounds like a good investment. :lol:

tigerbob i'll say this. I expect them to NOT do that and I expect that the people will be even louder about it then we being are right now if they do.

Forum List

Back