The Tall Stranger

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Stop what you are doing and watch this.Joel Macrae and Virginia Mayo star in a standard western that is lifted out of the rut by sheer star power. I watch this every couple of months. Its brilliant.

Yanno, when it comes to westerns, The Magnificent Seven is one that can't hardly be beat. The original one I mean. The one they made recently was pretty much crap, because they left out some of the major scenes where the locals bonded with the outlaws. The one that was cut out of the new one that really upset me was when the local women were feeding the outlaws, and they realized that the locals weren't eating much, because they were using most of their meager resources to keep the outlaws well fed so they could fight. When the outlaws realized what was going on, they took the food outside and had the whole town eat with them.

Was a pivotal scene in the movie.

Interesting little factoid..............The Magnificent Seven was based on a story called The Seven Samurai by a Japanese story teller named Kurasawa.

Last edited:
I love the spaghetti western "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Eli Wallach as the character Tuco nearly stole the show.

Plus the musical score was outstanding!!

Must have watched it a couple of dozen times. ... :thup:

Last edited:
"The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Of course before this clip he killed about 125 people ... :auiqs.jpg:

Stop what you are doing and watch this.Joel Macrae and Virginia Mayo star in a standard western that is lifted out of the rut by sheer star power. I watch this every couple of months. Its brilliant.

not a bad cast, but I preferred the book

Why I don't like Spaghetti Westerns.

What makes a good movie of any genre is dialogue. You can have a good movie with no action but great dialogue. You can have a good movie with a weak plot but great dialogue. You can have a good movie with no soundtrack at all but great dialogue.

Spaghetti Westerns, the best ones, have great cinematography, brooding characters, inspiring music ... but no pithy dialogue. Almost no dialogue at all.

Spaghetti Westerns, the best ones, have great cinematography, brooding characters, inspiring music ... but no pithy dialogue. Almost no dialogue at all.
Too much dialogue can easily ruin a film in my opinion. ... :cool:

Italian film director and father of the spaghetti westerns was a master of letting the scene speak for itself.

The sweat dripping off the villain's face in the hot noonday sun. The squeaking windmill slowly turning as the intensity of the scene builds.

One of the three bad guys sent to kill the man who just got off the train says, "Looks like we didn't bring you a horse". And the man replies, "No, you brought two to many horses".

Last edited:
Too much dialogue can easily ruin a film in my opinion. ... :cool:

Italian film director and father of the spaghetti westerns was a master of letting the scene speak for itself.

The sweat dripping off the villain's face in the hot midday sun. The squeaking windmill slowly turning as the intensity of the scene builds.

One of the three bad guys sent to kill the man who just got off the train says, "Looks like we didn't bring you a horse". And the man replies, "No, you brought two to many horses".

or the scene at the cemetery in the good the bad and the ugly

no words

not a bad cast, but I preferred the book

I didnt know there was a book.

Louis L'amour

has about 100 books out, mostly about the old west

Sacketts were a series he did

I am working my way through a book of Elmore Leonard western stories at the moment. I will have a look out for it after.

Why I don't like Spaghetti Westerns.

What makes a good movie of any genre is dialogue. You can have a good movie with no action but great dialogue. You can have a good movie with a weak plot but great dialogue. You can have a good movie with no soundtrack at all but great dialogue.

I am not a fan either. I find the plots a bit far fetched, particularly when it comes to the fights.

Forum List

Back