The Tale of Two Maps

Places where the economy is rougher, makes perfect sense. A lot of the counties in the middle of the country show "no data available."

If the point you are trying to make is that people voted against Republican economic policies, you did a good job of making it.

I've asked this of quite a few Libs and can never get much of answer so perhaps you can help. What specific Bush / Republican economic policy do you think was a failure?

Deregulation
Voodoo (trickle-down) economics

Neither of these are specific policies. At best they are an "economic philosophy".

Obama often referred to the "failed economic policies" of Bush. I've never been able to get anyone to tell me what they are.

Certainly the "Phil Gramm" amendment is something specific that looks to be one of the causes of the Wall Street meltdown but I don't see that as a "Bush economic" policy. Seems to me it was slipped into the bill by Gramm.

The only major economic policy I give Bush are his tax cuts and the cuts increased revenue.

Last edited:
Neither of these are specific policies. At best they are an "economic philosophy".

Obama often referred to the "failed economic policies" of Bush. I've never been able to get anyone to tell me what they are.

Certainly the "Phil Gramm" amendment is something specific that looks to be one of the causes of the Wall Street meltdown but I don't see that as a "Bush economic" policy. Seems to me it was slipped into the bill by Gramm.

The only major economic policy I give Bush are his tax cuts and the cuts increased revenue.
mmm? Here's a pretty good synopsis of Bush's economic policies.

Economic policy of the George W. Bush administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You of course are free to think that Bush has been good for the economy, but the majority of the country disagrees with you and with higher unemployment, less jobs, huge corporate bailouts...the proof is in the pudding.

mmm? Here's a pretty good synopsis of Bush's economic policies.

Economic policy of the George W. Bush administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You of course are free to think that Bush has been good for the economy, but the majority of the country disagrees with you and with higher unemployment, less jobs, huge corporate bailouts...the proof is in the pudding.

Wikipedia is not the place I'd go to try to research a Republican's policies. Anyone can and does edit it. It's good for historical fact though. I will review it.

My beefs with Bush on economics:

1. That when his Administration set off alarms bells on Fannie and Freddie two years ago that he did not push harder to contain the problem.

2. This summer's bailouts. From what I've read there are other actions that could have been taken that would not have involved taxpayer money.

3. I do not fault him for the Gramm amendment but I wish someone in the Administration or Congress had anticipated the negative effects and not allowed it.

Last edited:
I thought everything but Alaska and Arizona were blue states now? :D

But seriously, David, you're a trends guy. We're not talking states, we're talking areas. The deep purple areas on the foreclosure map correlate with blue areas quite a bit on the voting map. Examples: Southern California, South Texas border, South Florida and Michigan. The one area where there is not much of a correlation is the Pacific Northwest.

Good that you mentioned that, I was about to call you on it. Here in Oregon, the primary political divide is Urban and Rural. The rural areas are hurting the most, economically. But this has been the case for a generation. The Urban areas are not used to hurting, and have far more people that own a peice of the action in the form of stocks, bonds, and 401-Ks. At the moment, they are not overly happy with the present administration.

Good that you mentioned that, I was about to call you on it. Here in Oregon, the primary political divide is Urban and Rural. The rural areas are hurting the most, economically. But this has been the case for a generation. The Urban areas are not used to hurting, and have far more people that own a peice of the action in the form of stocks, bonds, and 401-Ks. At the moment, they are not overly happy with the present administration.

Understood. The two maps certainly don't match perfectly but the map certainly trends heavily in the direction of democratic voting areas being those areas where there are high foreclosures. The exception, again being the Pacific Northwest.

Forum List

Back