The Supreme Court Ruling on ObamaCare: An Independent's View

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
I predicted the mandate would be struck down. I hate being wrong! Oh well.
I have a lot of friends on both sides of the aisle and just as many who are Independent. Dems I know, overwhelmingly wanted it replaced with a public option. So they don't like it. Repubs I know are generally so pissed off at its' mere existence, they just want it struck down. Period. Replace it? Okay but they don't even care about health care reform of ANY kind right now. Their focus is on one thing only. Kill ObamaCare. Obviously, they don't like it.
Independents overwhelmingly think ObamaCare sucks. We're basically in camps ranging from those of us like me, who would be fine with a public option because we've had government health care in the military and / or abroad. I think this is what Obama should have done. Then people would SEE whether it was as horrible as FOX and the GOP (all of whom ironically, GET government health care) say it is - or whether it's a good thing. Knowledge is power, ignorance is easily manipulated. Oh well. So that's some of us.
Other Independents feel almost no change needs to be made but they admit they like the pre-existing conditions thing and also covering kids through college. Congratulations Mr. Obama. Out of 1800 pages, 2 pages make sense. Not impressive.
All the other Indies I know are somewhere in between (like opening up Medicare or the GOP exchanges proposed) but they / we all have one thing in common:
We hate ObamaCare.
This ruling is crap.

Last edited:
If each state adopted a Heath Care plan for their people and let the people vote on it, it would make a lot more sense. What's good for Wisconsin may or may not be good for Georgia.

However, if Wisconsin's plan worked better for you and you lived in Montana, you should be able to piggy back on Montana's. If Illinois voted not to implement health care you should be able to buy it from Indiana if they have one.

The Federal Government cannot run anything and make it cost effective. Leaving it up to the individual states for the constituents to approve makes much more sense than a Federal plan.

Last edited:
I was actually Predicting the Mandate would go down as well. However I was not actually wrong. My reason for thinking it would go down was because It was being sold as a Penalty and they were pointing to the Commerce clause to Justify it.

I thought there was no way that could be justified under the Commerce clause, and on that I was dead right.

Just didn't think about them saying it was OK as a tax, but now that I think about it, I am not sure why more people didn't consider that Option.

There are a couple of things I won't do in response to the healthcare ruling Today I won't rip or bash the court over the decision we have a process we went through it and even though the outcome was not what I expected I also thought the mandate would be struck down but I will respect the court and it's decision. I also won't get into if this will lower healthcare cost and do everything it was claimed it would do those answers will all come in time. What I do have a worry with over this ruling is we have been told the Government can mandate we have to buy a specific service or product if it's believed to be in the best interest of the nation to me this is a small step in Government getting more say and influence in our daily lives. Now that this precedent has been set I see both parties trying to use this to expand the Governments power and influence in some way now I could be wrong about this and I hope I am but I think it's something everyone no matter which way you lean politically should take some time and think about.

Forum List

Back