The Supreme Court on seccession

We should let Texas secede..

When they fall on their face and come crawling back it will squash the issue forever.

Texas would be just fine.

Nope.

The receive billions of dollars from the fed..

That's why you don't see many Texas politicians talking about it. Just ingrate partisan hacks.

As mentioned above, Texas receives slightly less back in federal spending than they pay in taxes every year.

I think a good reason for a legislator to oppose declaring secession is that it is an act of treason and he could be executed for it.

They should have rounded up every single southern legislator that voted in favor of secession in the 1860's and tried them for treason. Their actions caused our nation's most horrifying moment as hundreds of thousands perished.

Last edited:
Nope.

The receive billions of dollars from the fed..

That's why you don't see many Texas politicians talking about it. Just ingrate partisan hacks.

Considering the people would not have to pay federal taxes anymore, or follow federal regulations, which of course add to cost, i think there would be a net increase in availible funds for the state government.

Coming from where? This is a real question, not a rhetorical poke.

If the people didnt have to pay federal taxes, the state could increase its taxation, and more than likely the net tax burden on the people in the state would go down overall. net burden being all taxes, state, local and federal.

Considering the people would not have to pay federal taxes anymore, or follow federal regulations, which of course add to cost, i think there would be a net increase in availible funds for the state government.

If the people didnt have to pay federal taxes, the state could increase its taxation, and more than likely the net tax burden on the people in the state would go down overall. net burden being all taxes, state, local and federal.
Not sending things like fuel taxes to the District of Criminals, so they can line the pockets of federal DOT bureaucrats before they send the remaining pittance back to the states, would save a of of dough.

There was no secession clause in the original treaty with Texas, so that's not going to happen.

Interestingly, there was a clause that would have allowed Texas to split into up to 5 separate states. Texas chose to pass on it and be just one state. And by the Constitution, Congress has to approve the admission of new states, so Congress would have to approve any modern Texas break-up.

And these increased state taxes would be collected before or after federal funds are cut off and the "state" has to start operating on its own? Texas citizens would or would not be able to leave the Texas borders before these higher state taxes are levied?

I'm sure Texas would do quite well as they would no longer have to put up with unfunded mandates from the Govt.

Though Texas is one of the few Republican states that actually sends more to Washington than they get back in federal spending, I'm sure all their retirees will just love losing their social security and Medicare that they paid for.

Its not that huge of a divide, either. They'd save less than 5 cents on the dollar.
Spending by State Per Tax Dollar Sent to Washington | Heartland Institute

And what are they gonna do once they tap out on all their oil?

I doubt they would lose SS or Medicare. After all its their money and the Texas Attorney General can go after it in Court if needbe. They will be a Sovereign country after all.

I'm also sure that once the State stopped paying any income tax to Uncle Sam and invested in their own State in the end they would come out way ahead of the game.

Of course its all hogwash because no State is going to seriously try to seceed from the Union. Nice to think about it though.

I wonder if the British said the same thing about Australia, that it got so much money from Britian, it couldn't survive on its own?

And these increased state taxes would be collected before or after federal funds are cut off and the "state" has to start operating on its own? Texas citizens would or would not be able to leave the Texas borders before these higher state taxes are levied?

It would be a mess. There are other issues as well. All I was replying to was the statement that Texas would suffer because no more federal money would be coming in. One has to remember there would be no more federal money going out, including:

Federal income taxes
FICA
Corporate taxes
Gas taxes
Communications taxes
alochol and tobacco taxes.

I'm sure Texas would do quite well as they would no longer have to put up with unfunded mandates from the Govt.

Though Texas is one of the few Republican states that actually sends more to Washington than they get back in federal spending, I'm sure all their retirees will just love losing their social security and Medicare that they paid for.

Its not that huge of a divide, either. They'd save less than 5 cents on the dollar.
Spending by State Per Tax Dollar Sent to Washington | Heartland Institute

And what are they gonna do once they tap out on all their oil?

I doubt they would lose SS or Medicare. After all its their money and the Texas Attorney General can go after it in Court if needbe. They will be a Sovereign country after all.

I'm also sure that once the State stopped paying any income tax to Uncle Sam and invested in their own State in the end they would come out way ahead of the game.

Of course its all hogwash because no State is going to seriously try to seceed from the Union. Nice to think about it though.

Indeed. The only situation that would come close, where if some states needed a bailout, would the represenatives from states that are fiscally sound actually cross party lines to prevent it?

There was no secession clause in the original treaty with Texas, so that's not going to happen.

Interestingly, there was a clause that would have allowed Texas to split into up to 5 separate states. Texas chose to pass on it and be just one state. And by the Constitution, Congress has to approve the admission of new states, so Congress would have to approve any modern Texas break-up.
Congress already approved Texas breaking into as many as 4 additional states.

It would be a mess. There are other issues as well. All I was replying to was the statement that Texas would suffer because no more federal money would be coming in. One has to remember there would be no more federal money going out, including:

Federal income taxes
FICA
Corporate taxes
Gas taxes
Communications taxes
alochol and tobacco taxes.

Yeah, I understand. I honestly am not sniping at your posts. Just trying to figure out how the logistics would play out. It's all an interesting hypothetical. I'm available to take odds on likelihood of it ever happening.

Forum List

Back