The Sun is weaker than it's been in 80 years

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Fueling fears about the dimming sun, scientists are predicting that the current solar cycle is not only running a year or so late, but will also be the weakest cycle since 1928. Solar disaster!

The current cycle of activity, officially called Cycle 24, will peak somewhere around May 2013 with roughly 90 sunspots a day, the lowest level of activity since 1928's average of 78 sunspots per day (This comes after the cycle starting somewhere around 9 months late, in January this year versus the expected March 2008). This prediction - the work of an international panel of scientists - was announced by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Prediction Center's Doug Biesecker on Friday...

io9 - The Sun Is Weaker Than It's Been In 80 Years, Apparently - Solar cycles

Fueling fears about the dimming sun, scientists are predicting that the current solar cycle is not only running a year or so late, but will also be the weakest cycle since 1928. Solar disaster!

The current cycle of activity, officially called Cycle 24, will peak somewhere around May 2013 with roughly 90 sunspots a day, the lowest level of activity since 1928's average of 78 sunspots per day (This comes after the cycle starting somewhere around 9 months late, in January this year versus the expected March 2008). This prediction - the work of an international panel of scientists - was announced by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Prediction Center's Doug Biesecker on Friday...

io9 - The Sun Is Weaker Than It's Been In 80 Years, Apparently - Solar cycles

Have you called Uncle Al yet?

Yep, a long solar minimum, a strong and persistant La Nina, yet 2008 tied 2001 as the eighth warmest year on record. And 2009 looks to be in the top ten of the warmest years on record, also. Where is that cooling, boys?

So ... um ... does this mean global warming is on the outs and global cooling is back in fashion?

Yep, a long solar minimum, a strong and persistant La Nina, yet 2008 tied 2001 as the eighth warmest year on record. And 2009 looks to be in the top ten of the warmest years on record, also. Where is that cooling, boys?

It's so funny. They have no facts, only personal attacks.

That's when you know you have won.

Boys? No wonder you post so much on the weekend.

It's so funny. They have no facts, only personal attacks.

That's when you know you have won.

LOLOL My side hurts ... LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

Kitten, you already stated your aversion to sex. So I'll just consider you one of the boys.

So ... um ... does this mean global warming is on the outs and global cooling is back in fashion?

No, it means that the sun has been going through its lowest period of activity since 1913, and yet we have still see the polar ice melting.

Now the sun will begin to heat up and reach its peak in 2013.

Kitten, you already stated your aversion to sex. So I'll just consider you one of the boys.

Like picking on women, too, huh, asshole?

Kitten has stated quite often here that she does not like sex. That is not a problem for me, as I would not be hitting on her in any case. But she made a comment, and I replied with one. Tit for tat.

As far as you are concerned, given the history of your posts, in any battle of wits, you are only half armed.

Kitten has stated quite often here that she does not like sex. That is not a problem for me, as I would not be hitting on her in any case. But she made a comment, and I replied with one. Tit for tat.

As far as you are concerned, given the history of your posts, in any battle of wits, you are only half armed.

Right. If only I had been a carpenter I could keep up.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back