The Sugar Mountain Thread

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
you have the winter value package...but you have to be staying at the project sellling them....

why we dont have multi day passes...welll let me explain that to you Sir,
(puts on ghetto hoodie heads for cages) the weather is so changeable, we do not sell multi day passes....how would you like to have a 5 day pass and it starts raining...remember no refunds...plus as hard as this is to believe...forgeries...you know we have a daily code word...on tickets..you would be amazed the scams they try to run on us. Last year, I saw a forged ticket that I would not have been able to tell it was forged by looking at it...it was so well done...how the lift nazi on the yellow caught it I will never known...you had to touch it before you knew it was forged.

the converstation we had....you got caught in the delay between the rental cages which cannot sell till 8 am...and the fact that the outer cages are pretty much able to start as soon as they are set up. normally someone is selling by 7:35 am or so. Now if a poster were nicer to me....and didnt call me rude...i might tell him the easiest way to get tickets and the fastest....

lol....but then again...i might not

yes next day tickets are on sale at 8 pm either in the outer cages or the rental department. do you mean ski country condos or the ski country sports...i am thinking its the ski country sports.

are you coming to octoberfest (next weekend) or land of oz (this weekend) ....and why do i have the feeling gunny is reading over our shoulder....mumbling ..take it to pms lol

1. They need to go to bar scan tickets like Snowshoe and every resort out west. The lift guys have a hand held scanner that reads a unique serial number and confirms it with the daily list.

The advantage to the resort: greatly reduced forgeries. Much easier verification at lift lines. Reduced potential for false negatives.

The advantage to the customer: Tickets can be purchased almost anywhere. Even on-line and printed from a home computer any time before.

2. Multi-day passes that I am talking about work differently than you are thinking. You buy, say, the equivalent of 10 daily tickets at a discount, something like 20%, and you get what looks like a debit card with a magnetic strip on it that carries a unique serial number. That number is registered with the resort for the transaction, and there are no dates of use associated with it. When you decide to use a day, either then, the next day, or ten years from now, you go up to a "cage", hand them your card and tell them how many daily passes you want. The resort database confirms the card serial number, deducts the requested number of passes, then issues you passes for that day.

If the customer loses the card they can go to administration and get it replaced. The resort still has the card registered in their database so can confirm its owner and amount of available debit.

The advantage to the resort: they get money up-front to pay for capital improvements. The advantage to the customer: 20% off!

1. They need to go to bar scan tickets like Snowshoe and every resort out west. The lift guys have a hand held scanner that reads a unique serial number and confirms it with the daily list.

The advantage to the resort: greatly reduced forgeries. Much easier verification at lift lines. Reduced potential for false negatives.

The advantage to the customer: Tickets can be purchased almost anywhere. Even on-line and printed from a home computer any time before.

2. Multi-day passes that I am talking about work differently than you are thinking. You buy, say, the equivalent of 10 daily tickets at a discount, something like 20%, and you get what looks like a debit card with a magnetic strip on it that carries a unique serial number. That number is registered with the resort for the transaction, and there are no dates of use associated with it. When you decide to use a day, either then, the next day, or ten years from now, you go up to a "cage", hand them your card and tell them how many daily passes you want. The resort database confirms the card serial number, deducts the requested number of passes, then issues you passes for that day.

If the customer loses the card they can go to administration and get it replaced. The resort still has the card registered in their database so can confirm its owner and amount of available debit.

The advantage to the resort: they get money up-front to pay for capital improvements. The advantage to the customer: 20% off!

all great suggestions...but guess who runs the mountain...and as long as that is so..he will do as he wishes. bar scanners would be great for the lift guys.

• Banned
They need to change the place from the 70’s beer and lounge look to a 21st century health resort.

1. No smoking anywhere at the resort.
2. Get rid of the stinking carpet and install a rubber floor like any decent health club.
3. Change the deep fried and boiled hot dog menu to some decent low carb items like salads, grilled meats, fresh deli, and wraps. Have some authentic German, Austrian items and deserts.
4. Get rid of the 21 only bar upstairs and turn it into a decent sit-down restaurant where a family can enjoy a leisurely lunch instead of having to go cafeteria style.

ahhh the sugar hollow club...so 70's lol what can i say....the carpet is terrible but the ski boots damage it fast..i dont drink at the bar at sugar. i dont party as its put.

• Banned
ahhh the sugar hollow club...so 70's lol what can i say....the carpet is terrible but the ski boots damage it fast..i dont drink at the bar at sugar. i dont party as its put.
The carpet is to prevent slipping, but rubber is better and cleans up, doesn't stink. If you read back on the history of the area the bar used to be a big money maker but with DUI laws people don't do that anymore. A decent restaurant can make them some real money. That nice Italian place in Banner Elk could cater it and staff it. Right now they are renting a storefront next door to them because they're so crowded.

hmmm i dont have to read back on the history....i dated one of the managers of the sugar hollow club...damn i was history...let me go ponder that concept...in its heyday sugar mtn was wide open...i am speaking of the entire mtn.

honestly i dont ski beech at all...but i do listen to gossip....the place really went downhill...deferred maintance at best. i wont go into names but you would know their reps...you know how the business is...the head of sugar mtn snowmaking went to beech as general manager or some crappola....they let the place run down badly. i do mean badly and they just laid down on snow making....last year was one of sugar's longest season...i dont think beech was open much at all..and they took some nasty shots at sugar on there web page about how they would not make snow until blah blah blah....unlike some mountains...sugar laid snow early and often. granted we had some bare spots but that is southern skiing. Well gossip has it that beech is doing a complete remodel...they fired most of the year around crew...for maintance etc...and are rebuilding the place. Now if this bears fruit i will be shocked.

beech did a whole bunch of ladies night...ladies skiied free...mens night or as it was known around town as "homo night"..(and for any homos out there who skiied beech on this night dont get your whitie tidies in a wad, my husband skiis beech) seems the men's night got so out of hand that ski patrol refused to patrol the slopes. now i think last year they dropped a lot of this stuff.

yea 7 devils or hawksnest did close...locals still use the orginal name..screw the damn pc town board. But get this....7 devils is reopening as a tubing place. I swear you cant make this shit up. Tubing is the new "sport". i have no clue how sitting on your ass on a tube is now a sport. i have heard that beech will reopen a tubing run. considering a woman died tubing there , i would think they would avoid it. i think tubers are the most stupid people on earth....as evidenced by them asking where the tubbing runs are ....
we dont even correct them anymore....tubbing is in parking d...

i tell you what...come up one day and work the cages with me...lets see how polite you are by say 1 pm? okay okay it wasnt even 9 am lol

Last edited:
honestly i dont ski beech at all...but i do listen to gossip....the place really went downhill...deferred maintance at best. i wont go into names but you would know their reps...you know how the business is...the head of sugar mtn snowmaking went to beech as general manager or some crappola....they let the place run down badly. i do mean badly and they just laid down on snow making....last year was one of sugar's longest season...i dont think beech was open much at all..and they took some nasty shots at sugar on there web page about how they would not make snow until blah blah blah....unlike some mountains...sugar laid snow early and often. granted we had some bare spots but that is southern skiing. Well gossip has it that beech is doing a complete remodel...they fired most of the year around crew...for maintance etc...and are rebuilding the place. Now if this bears fruit i will be shocked.

beech did a whole bunch of ladies night...ladies skiied free...mens night or as it was known around town as "homo night"..(and for any homos out there who skiied beech on this night dont get your whitie tidies in a wad, my husband skiis beech) seems the men's night got so out of hand that ski patrol refused to patrol the slopes. now i think last year they dropped a lot of this stuff.

yea 7 devils or hawksnest did close...locals still use the orginal name..screw the damn pc town board. But get this....7 devils is reopening as a tubing place. I swear you cant make this shit up. Tubing is the new "sport". i have no clue how sitting on your ass on a tube is now a sport. i have heard that beech will reopen a tubing run. considering a woman died tubing there , i would think they would avoid it. i think tubers are the most stupid people on earth....as evidenced by them asking where the tubbing runs are ....
we dont even correct them anymore....tubbing is in parking d...

i tell you what...come up one day and work the cages with me...lets see how polite you are by say 1 pm? okay okay it wasnt even 9 am lol

I told you I used to drive a bus, so I know what its like to have the same dumb questions asked over and over. That's why I chose a different career. I also worked in a hospital and chose not to be around the sick and dying. Thank God for people who can do that.

When my kids were young I took 9 years off from skiing and one year I took them tubing. Here I was used to friendly, fit people practicing the sport of speed and finesse then suddenly in a crowd of fat drunks pushing through a line for 45 minutes for a 10 second uncontrolled ride in a rubber tube. Needless to say that was my one and only tubing experience.

Tubing brings money into the business though, can't be done on steeps, and gives the fats something to do so the more the merrier I say.

I hope Beech comes back. It has always impressed me with the little village and skating rink and shops and condos at the foot of the slope.

ooooo i did er admitting...wont do that again....i hope beech comes back....competition is healthy and many times your competition just makes you look good.

ooooo i did er admitting...wont do that again....i hope beech comes back....competition is healthy and many times your competition just makes you look good.
The market for skiing dollars is unlimited, so just like wineries, big-box retailers, and car dealerships, when they are all in the same area they all benefit.

So how do you like the new Lowes that everyone fought so hard to keep out? Although I love New River Building Supply and have spent literally thousands there building my cabin they are never open when I need them.

The market for skiing dollars is unlimited, so just like wineries, big-box retailers, and car dealerships, when they are all in the same area they all benefit.

So how do you like the new Lowes that everyone fought so hard to keep out? Although I love New River Building Supply and have spent literally thousands there building my cabin they are never open when I need them.

o banner elk has lost its charm. had long before the lowes went in. the new one is set way back from the road...rumors of an outback etc have circulated but nothing is happening. i guess the big news here is the selling of most of grandfather mtn to the state....i understand the morton's have kept the top part for themsleves to continue to charge admission fees. personally i think that if the state was buying it..they should get it all....a lot of people see it as just a ploy not to play property taxes.

o banner elk has lost its charm. had long before the lowes went in. the new one is set way back from the road...rumors of an outback etc have circulated but nothing is happening. i guess the big news here is the selling of most of grandfather mtn to the state....i understand the morton's have kept the top part for themsleves to continue to charge admission fees. personally i think that if the state was buying it..they should get it all....a lot of people see it as just a ploy not to play property taxes.

Yeah all that salvage furniture space, junk contractor equipment, and stacked lumber from New River is certainly charming. :cuckoo:

Why should the Mortons pay property taxes on land that they don't plan on developing? Either you support foresting or condos on the face of Grandfather or you support having the State buy it from them. Personally I'd like to see a nice ski area and luxury condos on the north slope. Anything else is hypocrisy.

no new slope will be opened. no new slope development has open in what 2 decades...matter of fact they are closing....remember mill ridge...small but a doable thing...southern skiing is slowly fading out.

Forum List

Back