The stress of being a victim

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
I think this is a great article for people to read and consider. So many people on this message board seem to think they have all the answers of how people should react in certain situations yet I don't believe a lot of you have been in such extremely abusive situations that you can really get an accurate understand into how the minds of others that have been in those situations work. Some people react with extreme violence once abused others go into a shell and it may take years for them to come out of that protective mod shell.

Abducted boy’s parents to Dugards: ‘Be patient’
Pam and Craig Akers, whose son Shawn was captive four years, offer advice

"When Shawn came home, his parents were filled with the same questions the public had about his years of captivity. What had his captor done to him? Why hadn’t he tried to escape? How had he survived?

“It was very difficult,” Pam Akers told Morales. “Sean had a lot of guilt for not trying to get away. He thought we were going to be angry at him. He thought he was going to be damaged goods, we weren’t going to love him anymore, that we were going to blame him.”

People "hear" and bad mouth victims in general. I did not mention "(Dugard)". I do believe that with a bit of help and articles such as the link that is in the OP a few folks here may gain some insight to how to treat victims if they desire to be decent to someone who has already been victimized and traumatized by other peeps.

Forum List

Back