The Story of Cotton and Thompson - Another Black and White Working Together

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by GHook93, Apr 4, 2012.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,929
    This was a 60 minutes story. It was a tragic event that led to an unlikely friendship. A white woman, Jennifer Thompson was raped by a black man. Ronald Cotton was arrested and charged with the crime and Jennifer, while honestly believing he was the rapist, mistakeningly ID him. Cotton went to jail for over a decade. A DNA test exonerated him.

Jennifer felt so guilty she asked for his forgivenness. He gave it immediately. Now they crusade together. Read to his words. He was falsely put behind bars for a crime he didn't commit. His kindness and campassion are remarkable. If you were put behind bar for a crime you didn't commit, would you have the compassion and understanding that Cotton had? I doubt it. It's an amazing story that goes well beyond race!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    Not as interesting as the 'race hate' stories to many. A good man, and an honest woman.

3. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,293
    A moving story, that few could duplicate. I know if I went to jail for a crime I didn't commit, I would be filled with bitterness and contempt for society. I've seen estimates of 1% of those in prison are innocent, much too high, particularly if you are among that 1%.

4. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    Maybe more, but this man's forgiveness is remarkable.

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,929
    Very true. All the media wants to report on is racial hatred and racial divide. The schools aren't much better. What they teach our children (what they taught us) is that the white man enslaved the black man and abused him. That the founding fathers were slave owners. Then after the Civil War the White man did whatever to keep the black man down!Yet they leave only some of the founding fathers were slave owners. That some where abolishists. The civil war was primarily fought by whites against whites. It was fought and won by white people who were against slavery! After the civil war during reconstruction the KKK formed to destroy WHITE REPUBLICANS! White Republicans were their main target and who they were trying to suppress. After the civil war the KKK was taken down by White people fighting them in the 1870s! Yep they terrorized Blacks, but there main reason for forming was to take on and terrorize White Republicans. The KKK was revived in the 1920s. None of this history is EVER taught! All we are taught is how bad white america has been to black america!

Then the media hypes up every cross-race crime, esp when the victim is black! They rarely do light hearted stories of the races working together. A story like this would never be reported on, except by the best news broadcast in the world - 60 minutes!

We need to show whites, blacks and hispanics working together. Our schools need to teach the good with the bad! End the perception that we can't get along, because it's bullshit!

6. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965

Likewise the three men who helped the child from an alleged abduction. :clap2: