The story of a doctor who killed the wrong baby

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by manifold, Apr 18, 2010.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,756
  2. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,756
  3. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    As the mother of boy/girl twins, this story turns my stomach completely.

Why was the ditz terminating either baby in the first place? The story didn't say the male baby's problems were incompatible with life, only that he had several problems, including Downs Syndrome.

A Downs Syndrome diagnosis is NO reason to terminate a child's life (IMHO).

The mother should be terminated, along with the doctor.

What fucking clueless morons.

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,756
    So you don't think they've been punished enough already?

5. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    No.

She'd still have two children if she'd never have gone to that doctor to kill one of her twins in the first place.

A Downs Syndrome diagnosis, with a *possible* heart problem is no reason to terminate your child's life. Downs babies commonly have fairly easily correctible heart defects.

When my twins were born, the lady who does my hair also became a grandmother for the very first time. Her daughter was 25 at the time and Trey was her first baby. No family hisotry or risk for Downs, she was under 30 and no indicators of Downs on Ultrasound or in the maternal alfa fetal protein test she had. There was no reason to believe Trey would be born as anything but a normal healthy little boy.

BIG surprise the day he was born. He came out looking "funny". Doctor whisked him away to the NICU for testing and medical support. Turns out Trey was downs and had a downs related heart defect that affected how much blood his heart could pump, leaving him working hard to oxygenate his blood/body without supplemental O2.

He stayed in NICU long enough to have the heart surgery.....and he came home. And after the family adjusted to the diagnosis, they fell in love with the little baby boy and cannot fathom his not being part of their family. He is the center of the family and he brings joy to ALL who know him.

Trey is now almost 16 (like my twins). He's in high school and though he's a "special" kid, all the kids in his school would go to the mat for him if anyone picked on him or bothered him in any way. Especially the jocks. Trey is *very* popular, doing well academically (though he won't ever be "normal") and one day is expected to live on his own (in a supervised/group home type setting), work (at Publix, Kroger or similar lines of work) and pay taxes.

Would you terminate this little boy knowing this? I wouldn't.

If you met him, you'd understand why I feel so strongly about this. In addition to being the mother of boy/girl twins, I am also very close to Trey and I can't imagine him not existing.

For more information on the "handicapped" being productive, independent, working members of society, visit Tommy Nobis' Center:

Tommy Nobis Center

Yes, the Hall of Famer helps train the "special" kids to work and earn a paycheck. It's nothing short of inspiring.

These children aren't medical waste.....they are real, living, breathing people. They love deeply, feel emotions keenly and want nothing more than to make the people they care about happy. We should all be so lucky as to view the world from their lens.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Your opinion is irrelevant. A mother doesn't need a reason to terminate a pregnancy.

7. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Legally speaking, you're right. She doesn't need a reason to terminate a pregnancy.

But she should. And it ought to be a fucking damned good one.

Downs Syndrome doesn't cut it.

8. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Legally speaking is the only relevant thing here. Whether a mother wants to carry a child with Down's Syndrome that is going to require serious life-long assistance and will, by all probabilities, have severe dementia is their early 40s is a choice that only an individual parent can make. No one can make it for them.

9. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    And laws change, gotohell. Laws change. :D

10. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    That is true.

BTW, here is some pathophysiology for you: Alzheimers affects people by creating plaques and tangles in the brain. The two proteins responsible for this are amyloid and tau. Amyloid is located on chromosome 21, which means it's over-expressed in patients with trisomy 21, which is why people with Down's Syndrome invariably get early onset dementia.

I certainly wouldn't want to abort a baby simply because they had downs and I think the people that raise children with Down's syndrome are saints. However, there is no denying that it's going to be a taxing event for the parents that is going to involve them well into their 60 and 70s.