The stock market dives the morning after Obamas speech...

Kinda funny it was hands off the oil reserve until now. Barry didn't seem to care if oil went up to $10 a gallon.

What changed??

Color me skeptical of any politicians stated reasons for doing anything.

So.....you are disagreeing with the facts on dropping oil prices after this move?

Lets just say I'm a skeptic.

Not that I mind falling oil prices. I have to get to work just like anybody else. Just wonder why now all of a sudden the oil reserves are fair game??

Before now they were sacrosanct.

Not that I mind falling oil prices. I have to get to work just like anybody else. Just wonder why now all of a sudden the oil reserves are fair game??

Why not? Why question what is apparently a good move for you, me and possibly our overall economy?

The Dow has been jumping up and down over the last few months. Lower gas prices should help spur the economy as people will have more money to spend. Gas prices where I live have dropped $1.00 per gallon in the last month to two months, from a high of $4.19 to $3.19 yesterday.

I'm just curious though. Since so many of you have blamed Obama directly for the high gas prices, are you now going to credit him with bringing them down, or are you going now going to start telling us how bad this is for the economy?

I would give him credit had he actually done something to drive down the prices but he hasn't has he? If so what. And I sincerely care about the cost of oil because it costs me about 90 bucks every 3 days to fuel my vehicle.

Seriously?

Really?

“Straight-jacket Time”: Dow, Crude Tumble After Obama Releases Strategic Reserves - Yahoo! Finance

A relatively quiet day took a dramatic turn mid-morning when the White House and IEA announced a joint plan to release 60 million barrels of oil from emergency reserves. Shortly thereafter, House Minority Leader Eric Cantor walked out of the debt-ceiling talks, saying the onus is now on President Obama to break the impasse.

Little lesson in commodities.

Surplus drives down prices.

THAT's why the market is adjusting.

Why not? Why question what is apparently a good move for you, me and possibly our overall economy?

So, adding to the supply of oil is a good move? Glad to see you finally coming around to what the other 80% of have been saying for decades.

:clap2:

Speculation is the problem. Not supply.

What's priceless is how much (well little) Conservatives know about the economy.

What's priceless is how much (well little) Conservatives know about the economy.

It even stated in the article I linked that this move was TARGETING THE SPECULATORS. Can they not read, or is it a comprehension issue??:eusa_eh:

It even stated in the article I linked that this move was TARGETING THE SPECULATORS. Can they not read, or is it a comprehension issue??:eusa_eh:

You do realize that the upward on push on prices is due to speculation that supplies are inadequate? Conversely, if speculation were that supplies were abundant, prices would drop. This shit isn't that hard folks.. unless you're intentionally being cement heads.

Last edited:
Kinda funny it was hands off the oil reserve until now. Barry didn't seem to care if oil went up to $10 a gallon.

What changed??

Color me skeptical of any politicians stated reasons for doing anything.

It is a campaign year and Obama wants to at least look like he's trying to fix the problem. But, make no mistake, it's for the image...doesn't want to go into an election year with gas at 3.50

Isn't Obama and his administration saying they would perfer a gradual adjustment and higher prices would result in a more efficient energy policy?
Also, Dr. Steven Chu, Secretary of the Department of Energy, stated we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.
I think this speaks volumes with the intentions of Obama

This is Obama and his administration that most Americans know.

Who cares if the market drops as long as it gets better for the average American.
Sounds like Obamas actions may be driving down speculation.
Which will result in lower prices for us.

The Dow has been jumping up and down over the last few months. Lower gas prices should help spur the economy as people will have more money to spend. Gas prices where I live have dropped $1.00 per gallon in the last month to two months, from a high of $4.19 to $3.19 yesterday.

I'm just curious though. Since so many of you have blamed Obama directly for the high gas prices, are you now going to credit him with bringing them down, or are you going now going to start telling us how bad this is for the economy?

I would give him credit had he actually done something to drive down the prices but he hasn't has he? If so what. And I sincerely care about the cost of oil because it costs me about 90 bucks every 3 days to fuel my vehicle.

Seriously?

Really?

“Straight-jacket Time”: Dow, Crude Tumble After Obama Releases Strategic Reserves - Yahoo! Finance

A relatively quiet day took a dramatic turn mid-morning when the White House and IEA announced a joint plan to release 60 million barrels of oil from emergency reserves. Shortly thereafter, House Minority Leader Eric Cantor walked out of the debt-ceiling talks, saying the onus is now on President Obama to break the impasse.

Little lesson in commodities.

Surplus drives down prices.

THAT's why the market is adjusting.

As I originally asked what is the motive? And I will quote from your source:

If the White House wanted to "stick it" to the speculators, as some theorized this morning, they would have released strategic reserves last month, when crude was above $113 per barrel. The administration has made it clear it wants to clamp down on "excessive" speculation, especially in energy futures. But to do it now, when crude is already in retreat is "deeply weird [and] disquieting," Macke says. "I don't think they have the foggiest idea how to stick it to the speculators." (See: Dos Hombres: Mourning the Economy)

With oil already dropping on its own what was the point? To take credit for what was already happening before he "finally" made a move?

Forum List

Back