The Stimulus, The DOE, and Solar Power

Gee, so if it only supplies 30% of our nations power needs we shouldn't do it?

Keep throwing money away on that finite fuel source, oil? That makes SO much more sense... :rolleyes:
30%? Who told you that lie?

Solar and wind provide 1.3% of America's electricity.

Look at the table at the bottom. Solar thermal, solar photovoltaic, and wind provide 58.48 Terawatt/hours per year. Divide that by the total Terawatt-hours produced annually -- 4,369 -- and you get 1.3%.

Slow down, skippy and read it again. I said IF. I was not saying that we DO get 30% from solar, but that IF we did, why is that a bad thing.

well to be exact sistah if you were talking in the hypothetical you would have said. "Gee if it only SUPPLIED 30% our nations power needs we shouldn't do it?" Who are you trying to kid?

Did you even read the article?

The U.S. Department of Energy said on Wednesday it's offering a partial guarantee for a $1.4 billion loan that will fund Project Amp, which will erect solar panels on hundreds of rooftops around the country. The project is the largest rooftop solar plan in the country.
Again, is the DOE part of the federal government?

I have no problem with solar energy, in theory, I just object to federal tax dollars being spent to fund it.

My understanding is that federal dollars are partially guaranteeing loans. The money is not directly spent on solar panels.

However, gov't has every reason (and right) to spend federal tax dollars to retrofit gov't bldgs with solar panels just like they're spending federal dollars to better insulate gov't bldgs.

Additonally, I anticipate the the gov't will spend money on the purchase of fleets of cars and trucks that are either hybrids or are powered by means other than just gas or diesel engines.

I do not give a fuck how they justify it. Federal tax dollars should not be spent subsidizing home improvement projects.

Forum List

Back