The State Of The Union Address

Do I WANT to watch the SOTU speech? No.

Do I look forward to watching the SOTU speech? No.

Will I watch it? Probably. I haven't missed one live since I was in highschool.

Why? Partly because I want to know what I'm talking about when I make fun of it. Partly because I want to have a leg up on the spin various commentators will try to put on it. And mostly because you just don't get the body language, raised eyebrows, defensive postures, grimaces, glares, nervous chuckles, tonal quality, and other nuances when you read a speech like that as opposed to watching it.

You also don't get the congressman impulsively objecting with "LIAR!" or the daggers coming from the eyes of a Supreme Court justice who has just been disrespected. :)

I will watch and I will also read the text of the speech.

I will watch the responses and read the articles and see who says what to whom afterward and I will learn something about who is full of shit and who is not.

I like to see for myself rather than count on someone else...
Rule of thumb: they're all full of shit

few exceptions

Does Obama write bills?

I'll stick to using the Thomas rss feed to keep track of congress and what bills 'bama signs.

It'll tell us far more than whatever rhetoric he or any other politician might spew forth.

I advise people never to listen to political speeches while they're germane to your time.

The power of a well crafted and delivered speech to beguile us is well understood and capitalized on by propagandists.

Simply being smart or well informed (or even being hostile to the speech giver) will not prevent you from being manipulated and swayed by a well designed speech.

Much of the beguiling power of speeches can be avoided by READING the text of the speech, instead of listening to it.

I advise people never to listen to political speeches while they're germane to your time.

The power of a well crafted and delivered speech to beguile us is well understood and capitalized on by propagandists.

Simply being smart or well informed (or even being hostile to the speech giver) will not prevent you from being manipulated and swayed by a well designed speech.

Much of the beguiling power of speeches can be avoided by READING the text of the speech, instead of listening to it.
Oh yes, because propaganda only exists in verbal form :rolleyes:

I'll watch...and listen to the commentary afterward (if i'm not too tired!). It's not that i'm really interested in what he has to say, it's all lies anyway. But, they say you need to keep your enemies close. You need to know where they are and what they're up to. I won't go by what other people tell me about the speech....you need to listen for yourself and draw your own conclusions...not the conclusions of other people on this board that doesn't know anything more about this stuff than you do!! I just love it when people won't watch something, but they'll have all kinds of answers on it when asked because they heard it from someone else! lol!

I won't listen to any speech by some scum sucking politician.

I'll read the text later so i don't have to endure the sycophantic standing ovations and the pregnant pauses while the speaker waits for adulation.

And besides since all politicians are consummate and pathological liars, I tend not to listen because i don't like being lied to. If i wanted someone to tell me lies, I'd hire a hooker and giver her a script.

Hmm I wonder who paid Obama's pimp for the lies he'll be telling tonight.

Will Justice ALito be in attendance?

The should all attend or not show. Decide as a group. We don't need the SCOTUS politicized. I would like them not to attend after last year. It was a stupid remark from Obama last year.

I think they should be the independent thinkers they are and decide for themselves. It would be a good thing if many of them did not attend. Although standing up and holding bullshit signs would be amazing.

I'll read the text later so i don't have to endure the sycophantic standing ovations and the pregnant pauses while the speaker waits for adulation.

And besides since all politicians are consummate and pathological liars, I tend not to listen because i don't like being lied to. If i wanted someone to tell me lies, I'd hire a hooker and giver her a script.

The same corporate keepers that Paid Bush's pimp.

The same corporate keepers that Paid Bush's pimp.

I think a different set of corporate pimps but pimps all the same.

Oh yes, because propaganda only exists in verbal form :rolleyes:

Now is that what I wrote?

No, it isn't

You could have added that propaganda isn't limited to audio manipulation and I'd have quite agreed.

Instead you attempt to insinuate meaning into my words that was clearly not there.

Why?

If you want to grapple with a strawman of your own invention, be my guest, but don't include me in your childish game.

It'll be another gala with Pelosi jumping up every 5 seconds to applaud and cheer her hero on. Poor Biden will get dragged along for the ride.

It will be another we inherited this mess. We are working for the good of the people. We passed historic legislation and Oh Yeah. Its the other guys fault.

I've got my pretzels in the bowl and the beer on ice. Will probably flip between the SOTU address and something I really want to watch like NCIS and NCIS LA.. Too bad the Walking Dead is on a break and Justified doesn't come back on till Feb.

I have a business dinner tonight, but wouldn't have watched it anyway. Last year, I counted how many times The One said I, me, my, and mine. The total count was in the triple digits. Been there, done that, don't even want the t-shirt.

I'll read the recaps and analysis instead.

Forum List

Back